Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stock Work ... Woodchuck needed

Stock Work ... Woodchuck needed
January 10, 2012 06:25PM
I worked late last evening. I wanted to possibly get the Woodsman SS action in it's roughed out stock, so I could take advantage of this nice afternoon to test.

Sean has made it clear that he's not "all about" the stock. He doesn't want it to prevent him from using the gun. He didn't order a tricked out pc. He said he'd really rather have a nice synthetic stock for his uninhabitable location of Alaska. He did order stainless steel, and I've muttered under my breath each hour I've worked on it. grinning smiley Stainless steel grabs every cutter, galls every drill bit, resists hand threading, tries to fillet you with it's curling ribbons of steel which come off the lathe. The little snakes of razor wire will not "break" like carbon steel. So I have to endlessly stop the machine and clear the snakes out lest I miss one that is about to strike.

I chose a nice pc. of mahogany to make a good stock for Sean. I wanted it to be light for him. His is a hunting gun. He wants to take it on the snowmobile and carry it in the truck. I've had some nice mahogany planks I choose from the sawmill about five years ago. They were brought home, milled flat to the right thickness ... and set aside to acclimate.

Cracked stock - testing Woodsman 011.JPG

I profiled the stock for the Woodsman. The upper pc. is sawn from the exact pc. so the grain matches. It makes the cheek area that covers the hammer tube inside. Takes a wide plank to do this.

Cracked stock - testing Woodsman 010.JPG

Did extensive inletting of the action into the stock. That's about 5-6 hours I guess you see here, after the plank work, milling, and having gone to get it myself.

Cracked stock - testing Woodsman 009.JPG

As I was juuuuuuuuuuuuuust about finished inletting, while sanding the bottom of the groove ........ CRACK!!!!!!!! THWANG!@!!!!!

Cracked stock - testing Woodsman 012.JPG

The internal stresses of the wood, just tore it apart. It was fine, and I then sanded off about 20 thousandths. That was it.

Cracked stock - testing Woodsman 013.JPG

All inletted now ... but the groove is a bit wide .... whistling

Actually, I'd have preferred it to crack right after being rough sawn. Would have saved me five or six hours of precise work.

This would be the perfect opportunity to discuss just "why" I can't predict when something is going to be complete. I didn't plan on making a second valve body for this gun. That worked out real well, but I didn't plan on the other day and a half to do it. Didn't plan on this stock being ruined. Now I get to start from another plank, and I suppose this one is just firewood (unless I find someone that really likes the forked look in schnabel ends. Contact me at ... mail@glbarnes.com

Back to the shop ....
Re: Stock Work ... Woodchuck needed
January 10, 2012 08:20PM
Isn't that why they make ebony tip caps, to cover up the glue and the through-bolt?more confused

All kidding aside, that's a bit of bad luck but it could have been worse. Imagine, if you will, (blatent Outer Limits rip-off here) the expression on your face if you'd have heard it split as you were tenderly tucking it into the packing case to ship. Or...if you'd have invested several days time carving deep relief work into it BEFORE it split.

Silver lining, I guess...crying
January 10, 2012 08:25PM
Would have been worse if it waited until you opened the case in Alaska.

blush
January 10, 2012 10:15PM
I suppose that if that happened, we could just blame it on the Post Office. laughing again

So...this one goes in the big bin of "parts that ALMOST turned out perfect". I suppose you could set it aside in case you decide to do a REALLY short carbine for someone. Or you could see if anyone wants a two-foot-long "tipcap" on their Woodsman stock, it would be a really...uhm..."unique" look, for sure.eye rolling smiley
January 11, 2012 07:13PM
The epoxy you glue it together with will be stronger than the wood. Didn't you say he wanted a synthetic stock? Shoot... just make about a dozen parallel cuts and glue it all back together for a cross cut laminate. Reduce, reuse recycle...GO GREEN.

Kent
January 11, 2012 11:09PM
Hi Kent,

It not only split - and had some serious opening power ... but it dislocated in a twisting manner too. It would be like gluing two truck leaf springs together, back to back.

It's toast.

Happens far more than I tell. I learned long ago ... The time spent trying to save a bad project; only produces more wasted time. Always better to dust off, and start over fresh. bowing -- Far East

thumbs up

Gary
Anonymous User
January 11, 2012 08:04PM
Murphy,s law had to pull on your nerve,s. Hope everything work,s out for the best,could not imagine how much patience you have.
, and still do. Alaska brrrrrrrrrrrr.
January 11, 2012 10:39PM
Who knows, maybe that stock will show up as a pistol some day. grinning smiley

I'm sure that Gary could glue it back together and make it work, like you said, the glue is stronger than the wood. But he can't make himself do it...it's just not in his nature. He'd still know that it wasn't JUST right, and it would continue to bother him until he fixed it the way HE would want it done for himself.

Garys perfectionist tendencies are great for his customers, just not for his projected schedule and his own mental serenity level.bowing -- Far East
January 11, 2012 11:17PM
Hey ... careful referring to my mental state. excited You don't want to catch anything.

Yeah ... you got me. I catch myself, all the time, grabbing that extra finer grade of sanding belt to dress some interior part, or having to go back and reset an entire assembly, in order to mill off just a hair more .... because I was trying to fit some out of sight thing better then it ever needed to be.

I'm really not one of the guys that carve the last supper on a grain of rice or some such nutty stuff. But I do naturally attempt to do better work than my tools are capable of. And, I did learn decades ago the meaning of "ruined" and I don't spend any time trying to turn back time.

thumbs up

Gary
January 12, 2012 12:46AM
Lets see...a dollop of Type A, mix with a good measure of perfectionist obsessive-compulsive behavior...season liberally with "keeps you-awake-at-night" creative genius, throw in a dodgy spinal column, decades of wear-and-tear, bake for forty-some years and you get...an airgunsmith?!?

How the heck did that happen? more confusedI must have grabbed the wrong test tube somewhere along the way...winking smiley
January 12, 2012 01:11AM
Haha. That's close. Only it's fifty some years and I've spent quite a few of those under the "rock slide of life". laughing

But, that's the formula. Anybody can do it!
January 12, 2012 01:20AM
I say leave it as is and just slobber some oil on it! It's just at the end! Who cares about the stock anyway, just call it a Lady Gaga design...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021