Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Woodsman Eagle River

Woodsman Eagle River
January 11, 2012 06:48PM
a_Woodsman_Eagle_River.jpg

Here is the Woodsman Eagle River with it's stock just profiled and inletted. It will be far more sleek as the stock is rounded and molded. Recall that the first stock split wide open, and also twisted too ... from internal stress in the plank of wood. After having the plank in my shop for about 5 years ... that was a surprise. You never know about wood.

This gun is a Hybrid. It uses the new state of the art Orion technology on the origonal Woodsman platform and frame. What's gained it primarily the ability to attach many different calibers or rifled barrels, and or rifled sub caliber inserts inside larger smoothie barrels. This concept has seemed to take the community by storm. I introduced the rifled inserts quite a few years ago with the Justice System of guns. I continued it with the Woodsman Series (which was the 62 version of the Justice). Those guns required a subcaliber bolt action to be attached along with the subcaliber rifled insert. It made the insert swap a bit more expensive and was just enough of a job to prevent owners from actually changing out the inserts.

With the Orion System, some calibers can be swapped onto the existing barrel hub, or other hubs may be purchased. With the smoothie, the front of the smooth barrel is threaded to receive the subcaliber insert. These guns all use the slide breech system, which is very versitile, simple to use, and extremely safe.

Whenever you change something, there's the irresistable urge to suspect something was "wrong" with the earlier model. And, the urge is to compare and disect to the point that some conclusion is made as to which is "correct". I don't want to do that. They are different. I think you've all seen Jerry's Woodsman's performance thru the years. Both with smoothie slugs waaaay out there, with shot shells, and with that incredible 32 insert that's taken 200+ yard groundhogs. His 32 is so accurate, that he won't touch it - so it stays as a 32 rifle. winking smiley Of course, he has his 62 Yukon so there's not much point.

On my Orion, I made the long pistol grip with thumb hole that is quite nice on the bench. I suspected I'd start with the 62 and that format. This one is smaller and lighter and will be carried a bunch. So, I gave it a stock better suited to standing and firing. The finger grip on this stock feels natural and the thumb will find a "thumb shelf" on each side for grip, comfort, and control. And to keep the thumb out of the path of the firing/cocking stud. That's all to come.

Hope you like the lines. I do. Yes - it gets a recoil pad. I was out. Ordered some ... then found a box with a couple more in it. So - that will alter the look just a touch.

Green bowing

Gary
Re: Woodsman Eagle River
January 11, 2012 06:57PM
Looks like a fine rifle there Gary! I can't imagine the disappointment that the wood must have given you. I know how you become one with the project. Hope that it isn't all just kindling.

Kent
Anonymous User
January 11, 2012 08:07PM
Very stout looking, and i like the fact that Gary constantly upgrade,s and improve,s all his work without anything extra from his customer,s. No one does this anymore. NO ONE.
January 11, 2012 08:57PM
Nice!thumbs up Looking forward to seeing it finished, it's gonna be a looker even though it's designed as a "utility" model.

I'm glad that the stock blank is being more cooperative this time around.smiling smiley
January 12, 2012 12:38AM
That's a fine looking gun right there! I expect it will get plenty use.

The ease of caliber change is a nice addition and will be much apprectiated by many I'll bet. Gary points out that some of us don't change the barrels on our convertibles much. That's true, when the Woodsman is a .62 smoothy, it stays that way for a long time and when it's a .32 tackdriver, it stays that way a long time. That's not solely because the change is difficult, it's really not that hard... As Gary points out, I've got a .62 besides the Woodsman that performs pretty well so it might be a little redundent to have a hammer and a sledge at the same time! But, when I get the urge to go shoot some shot again, taking out the insert won't be a major issue. Since I've also got a .32 Prarie that's a tack driver, the Woodsman will end up shooting shot/slugs for a long time.

Now, if you were late to the game in ordering your Barnes guns, you might just have to make swaps in caliber a bit more frequently as a substitute is not at hand! Darn nice of Gary to make that so easy!
January 12, 2012 12:48AM
Yeah...not all of us have a whole closet full of them. Some of us have to be a bit more...flexible...winking smiley
January 12, 2012 03:34PM
Looking good Gary!
It's amazing that over time you continue to develop more power with less air. AND, you continue to keep the creativity in your functional designs. Not many business can say that.
Anonymous User
January 13, 2012 01:28AM
Wish I had a closet full. I would sell all my powder burner,s.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021