Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fixed Blade Barnes Knives .... The Rare Bird!

Fixed Blade Barnes Knives .... The Rare Bird!
May 29, 2016 08:05PM
When I got into making Knives, I learned that the top of the top of the complex handmade knives, in 1975 .... we're Folding Knives. Check it out. They are a different level of build. And, I've always leaned towards complicated mechanisms. Just had a mind for levers and springs and pivots. Must have been the snowball launching catapult on the Winter Go Kart as a kid .... whistling. Haha. Snowman. So; 87% of my knives have probably been Folders.

But! Once in a while, it just seems that I MUST make a few sheath knives. Here is one of the latest. I'm preparing some knives to show to a dealer who books big game hunts. I'd like to have several representative pieces to show.

image.jpeg

A real nice Hunter. Stainless Tool Steel - Differentially Heat Treated to show the Hamon created in the steel cellular structure.

image.jpeg

And ... with a milled out "Skeletonized" tang to give great balance!

Hope you enjoy seeing it.

Gary

Sorry: I must have bumped a button and mistakenly closed the topic to comments. Not Intentional. It's Open. Love to hear your comments ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 01:32AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Fixed Blade Barnes Knives .... Hen's Teeth! Haha
May 29, 2016 10:28PM
image.jpeg
Re: Fixed Blade Barnes Knives .... The Rare Bird!
May 30, 2016 02:17AM
Hey Guys ...

I'm going to be making Kydex Sheaths for these knives. I'm also making some small sheath knives / simplier - with Kydex sheaths. What a lot of people call "Kneck Knives" - cause the small sheath hangs upside down from Paracord under a coat/jacket/etc.

I used to make Kydex sheaths 35 years ago. Let's see if I still "Got It".

wow thumbs up

Gary
May 30, 2016 02:42AM
That is a great looking knife! I am sure the dealer will be impressed by the diversity of your knife models. All the best with the dealer!

Pedro
May 30, 2016 06:32AM
Nice!thumbs up

Too bad all that fancy millwork is hidden forever beneath the scales.winking smiley
May 30, 2016 12:25PM
Gary,

That knife looks like it's ready to get to work. A nice clean, functional design. I can't see how they miss being impressed. Best of luck on this endeavor.

Karl
May 30, 2016 12:37PM
That a fine piece of work Gary
Good luck with your new ventures . I don't see any rivets any where and I believe besides weight reduction , the milled out slots on handle help with the epoxy process joining scale pieces together .

Thanks
Kurt
May 30, 2016 02:34PM
Clever Man .... winking smiley
May 31, 2016 06:03AM
good balance point, should feel lighter than it really is
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021