Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Made some new tooling ...

Made some new tooling ...
January 15, 2012 04:08AM
To make a more complete line of 62 slugs. Added a 472 grain that is large enough for this 62 Woodsman SS, and will also add to the rifle slug choices. Actually this SS requires a slug slightly larger than the blued barrel in 62 rifled. I needed to have a couple of slugs to test.

The rifled 62 slug is 577 to 620 grains depending upon the various tooling used. That "as cast" diameter works well for this smoothie, but I wanted to try a bit less weight too, in a design that the smoothie barrels have also liked. The other Woodsman guns, and the HAWG have really liked a particular slug that's 430 in it's blued 62 version. My tooling for this version in SS, brings it in at 472.

That's probably just enough information to be totally confusing. Anyway ... I know what I'm up to. I have to have the tooling to make the molds, and then I have to have the dies to size the slugs cast. The stainless barrel adds to the variables by being a bit larger than the blued version, and even the blued rifled version.

It's a bunch of precise work. It will get me ready to test this gun, and also add to the stable of possible slugs for customers to choose their mold purchases from. Just a note to everyone waiting: We still work from the system where molds and dies are purchased. They may be sent to Jerry for use, and they will make your slugs. Some people have bought molds, and told Jerry to go ahead and use their mold to make slugs for ... "insert name" because they are buds. That can't be depended upon to meet every need.

Jerry has also borrowed shop molds for some projects. That usually has involved making a run of test slugs for someone who also has purchased other molds and allowed them to be used for the group. But, once again ... that can't be counted upon to meet every need. I'll add again, I don't get a dime from the slugs that Jerry makes. So I can't make up free tooling to boot. Sometimes you can hitch a ride on the good nature of someone else's tooling ... but, eventually; it wears out or is damaged. At that point, I don't repair and replace it for free. It's become somewhat vague, and I felt it needed to be clarified for all of the Barnes guns out there.

Everybody has seen the targets. That is the difference the correct slug makes. It takes a bunch of very careful manufacture, testing, and quality control to get the holes that close together.

Anyway ... that's what I've been up to. Takes a bunch of time. It's Saturday night now ... 8 minutes after midnight. I'm taking the rest of the evening off. ;?)

Gary
Re: Made some new tooling ...
January 15, 2012 11:21AM
I think we're pretty lucky that Jerry and his kids are into casting and that they care enough to do a good job. I'm sure it's one of the reasons why the folks that post photos here can do that as often as they do. It's not like you can just go to WallyworldMart and pick up a tin of a hundred of those giant slugs. And even if you could, the odds of it being the correct diameter and a usable weight would be pretty slim. It really is the attention to detail that makes the difference on accuracy, no matter which kind of gun you are talking about.
January 15, 2012 01:29PM
Gary,

Is the 430 the lightest slug for the smooth bore .62.? Did you design any with the hollow base?

Question about muzzle movement while shooting these. As the slugs get heavier/slower will I notice a difference while shooting.? Dory
January 15, 2012 03:10PM
Hi Dory.
The 420 is the slug which was made for your gun and performed so well. It is the lightest 62. I've not made a hollow base. I don't think it would stabilize. And, since your gun is a bolt action, it wouldn't load. The bolt probe would go up inside the hollow base and leave the slug blocking the transfer port.
The existing slug did an exceptional job in your gun.
There is a heavier one of about 557 or so. It would produce a bit more energy. Would be a bit slower. It might actually hit higher at 50 because the slug would leave the muzzle later in the more significant recoil cycle.

Gary
January 15, 2012 03:23PM
Yeah I notice when I'm just plinking that even with light slug it really moves a lot with the carbine barrel. Dory
January 15, 2012 04:01PM
Well, I think I recall that you are making about 430 foot pounds or thereabouts with that carbine. That's a lot of muzzle energy for a BB gun.

thumbs up
January 15, 2012 04:14PM
Gary,

I've been dying to see a cherry and how to cut a mold if you are looking for topics. I know there hav been threads about molds but I don't recall ever seeing anyone cutting perfect symetrical mold halves.

Lon
January 16, 2012 11:01PM
There must be a trick to it, but I'll freely admit that I don't know how to do it. I'll bet that given the right equipment and material, I could ruin dozens of finely made mold blanks making weird, oval and oblong mold cavities and never get one quite right.grinning smiley

I once took a stab at carving a custom handgrip for an IZH-46 out of walnut, mostly bandsaw work, just roughed out to start. I routed the interior to take the tang of the pistol, it fit fine considering it was all freehand. The reason why that grip is not on the pistol today is that I never could get the join line right. The halves just wouldn't match up right, either I'd sand one at the wrong angle or I'd round over a corner on the other. It was like trying to level a wobbly table by sawing just a bit off of one leg, and then a bit off another, and then...pretty soon you end up with a coffee table, and it still wobbles.More sad

If I tried it again today, I'd probably plane and glue up a big thick block of solid wood, carve the shape I wanted, and THEN saw it right down the middle and route it out for the tang. If you never touch the saw line edges while you're working on the inside, it ought to fit right back together the way it came apart with a nice straight seam. Ought to...there's a fine phrase with a lot of baggage tucked away inside. eye rolling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021