Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quick Change Lathe Post - update 2

Quick Change Lathe Post - update 2
July 13, 2016 03:01AM
Started building a quick change lathe tool post for my 7 X 14 lathe. Found some unfinished plans online and worked out what was missing. Be a fun project and much needed tooling for me.

Amazing how accurate these little lathes are. Did all the squaring of the block on the mill with the fly cutter I made.
Block is HR steel. Would have preferred CR but he didn't have any. Got it from my dad last visit to his shop. Good thing I had my bandsaw!

image.jpeg

Of course this project cuts into airgun building but it will be worth having.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2016 04:14AM by pedrog.
Re: Quick Change Lathe Post
July 13, 2016 05:36AM
Lookin' good. You will enjoy that addition to your machine. Another GREAT mod is this:

[www.littlemachineshop.com]

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2016 05:36AM by Bigbore.
July 13, 2016 12:46PM
Hi Lon,

I just looked at your link.

That ENTIRE KIT is $29.95 ????????? stunned. Seriously?????

Is that link from 1910? Must be.

Ya had me goin' there ..... laughing

Gary
July 24, 2016 03:55AM
Hi Lon,

Sorry for delay in responding. Cool link and cheap! Can hardly make anything for that price!

Thanks for sharing, many other useful items at that site!

Pedro
July 13, 2016 09:42AM
Pedro
You make it look easy and fun .
I bought a south bend lathe awhile back and it's old but works great . It came with a lot of literature and tooling . I didn't know what a few pieces were but after looking at the cataloge I realized I had a tool holder turrit . It held I think 4or 5 carbides and will attach to tail stock or tool post .. Some of the tooling was really rusty but a little trick I learned is to soak in vinigar over night . The parts come out like brand new .
It's alway good to have a dad with extra steel drops laying around too ! grinning smiley

Thanks
Kurt
July 24, 2016 04:00AM
Hi Kurt,

Didn't think I made it look easy but it did take a little thought to machine. Having limited tooling left me with few options. Be interesting to see the turret, I worked on a lathe in my teens that had some kind of turret system.

Always good to have someone in your circle who can supply scraps!

Pedro
July 14, 2016 03:25AM
Pedro,

Nice work on the tool post! it's great when you can machine parts for your machine on your machine haha...it always makes it a more enjoyable process when things go smooth and you can eliminate some set up time! Nice little lathe... I like how it's a 4 jaw makes some nice finish cuts also! I must say that band saw restoration turned out awesome! Would like to have a bandsaw for the garage! Good projects!

Matt
July 24, 2016 04:05AM
Matt,

The bandsaw has been a great addition! So handy and cuts relatively accurately. Made things a lot easier to build indeed.

These little lathes are awesome. Will hold .0005" if careful. I switch between 3 & 4 jaw chuck often and noticed that the spindle has a morse 3 taper. Now to get a collet holder for the large would be sweet for small parts.

You are stateside, bandsaws are so cheap down there! Seen as low as $350 online for brand new!

Pedro
July 14, 2016 09:44AM
Gees, all of you guys, I just wish I had some concept of any of this. It must be really cool to be a tool and die maker and a machinist. Thanks for the pics and the discussion.
Jeff
Re: Quick Change Lathe Post - update 2
July 24, 2016 04:13AM
Last two weeks had an hour here and there to work on the tool changer. Today spent 3 hours on the road to assist my dad with a new employee. Basic training on a CAD system. When I made it back home started working on the tool changer. Almost have the post ready. Need to lathe the cam offset and shorten the hold down clamp to get a good fit. Thinking the hold down clamp will become a nut in the future instead of a lever.

image.jpeg

After this make the actual tool holders which will be much easier. Been taking pictures and video of most of the build and may make a video of the whole project in the fall/winter.

Thanks for reading.

Pedro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2016 04:14AM by pedrog.
July 24, 2016 12:32PM
That looks very nice Pedro.

Very clean machining. You have a lot of work invested there.

Thanks for posting your pics. thumbs up

Gary
July 24, 2016 07:04PM
Pedro,

That is turning out great.

Following along,

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021