Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Materials

Materials
January 18, 2012 02:18AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Each one of these items is a particular material that I use. They are all different. I have to first know what I need to do the job. Then find a supplier. Then order and inventory the raw stock. Of course, I have to keep up with them so I don't run out. This is just a part of it, but it struck me today as I was checking for a certain material. I snapped a few pics.

Gary
Re: Materials
January 18, 2012 03:07AM
Gary,
lately i have been getting a very small taste of what it is you do day to day, as i am about half way thru getting an addition put on this house,And i decided to be the contractor ( Big Headache!!). I can only imagine how much more frustrating it must be to also have to be doing all the Building along with all the coordinating.

BLESS YOU for all you do day to day thru the pain.

Rick G.
January 18, 2012 03:36AM
Thank you Rick. smileys with beer

I hope your project turns out well. Any addition is a big project. Amazing how many things are drawn into each seemingly simple decision, isn't it?

Good luck!

Gary
Anonymous User
January 18, 2012 10:15PM
I think I see a Yukon in there somewhere.... HA HA......................./iojhfouegvHBIjq[djqpihdouqgd;]i
January 19, 2012 05:04AM
OK...I give up.

Which model features the corregated, galvanized steel?

winking smiley
January 19, 2012 02:53PM
That would be the Woodsman GS Sean. winking smiley
January 19, 2012 05:28PM
Really now....eye rolling smiley Must be the stock, after all, I did request that the emphasis be on weatherproof and durable...

Amazing faux-mahogany finish on that sheet steel though, very convincing. Looks EXACTLY like wood. winking smiley
January 19, 2012 10:05PM
Rotorhead,

I just got some osage orange lumber. It's as tuff as it gets in american wood. I could ship some of that to Gary.. Have an alternate stock for when you go bear hunting. Dory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2012 10:18PM by Dory.
January 20, 2012 12:09AM
Hello Dory,

I've heard that it's tough stuff, one of the better woods to make bows from in fact. I'm not sure how dense it is, but weight is a big factor about what kind of wood goes into the stock on this gun. Ironwood or ebony or purpleheart would be tough too, but they'd probably weigh as much as the action, if not more.

There IS also the minor consideration that Gary has built essentially two stocks for this gun already, and barring a major misadventure I don't think he'd be all that thrilled about doing it a third time...particularly on a last-minute whim. eye rolling smiley
January 20, 2012 02:23AM
You are correct on all points Sean. Three stocks is excessive. winking smiley

Had a fellow really, really want a stock of Coco Bolo once. He got it, but it was absurdly heavy. If you look at antique guns that were used hard ... You find light weight straight grain woods. How boring. winking smiley

Oh ... Julio ... I sent you a bunch of slugs today. Six different type. You guys know why? Because I am 110% certain we will see pictures of holes those slugs make. thumbs up

Gary
January 20, 2012 04:37PM
Well you would have to wait awhile anyhow. This stuff is green fresh from sawmill, will dry for a year or two in loft of barn. Making outdoor furniture and stuff out of it. Made out of this stuff I figure won't have to ever replace it.

I'm thinking of making some bolts out of it and see if they hold up to some multi shots in to clay backers.

But like Gary said you get some fine straight grain walnut or mahogany. It will take the abuse and last forever. And after Gary does his magic look beautiful to. It doesn't have to be boring after Gary get's a hold of it. Dory
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021