Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Follow-up 62 mold and testing

Follow-up 62 mold and testing
January 23, 2012 12:43AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I completed the tooling to cut this new mold. The mold is not complete, I need to mill for handles and drill and tap for mounts. But the cherried cavity is complete. Oh yeah, have to vent it too. I'll cast it tomorrow.

In addition, I've inspected and tested the insert. By slugging the bore, I can tell that a slightly larger diameter would have most likely been better then the strict 308 I started with. This caliber's tooling is being added to. I'll fit in some more testing soon. Sleeting now, and it's dark, and the neighbors don't want me shooting into their yards ... anymore .... ;?)
Re: Follow-up 62 mold and testing
January 23, 2012 05:34AM
Located in suburban Maryland, I suspect you long ago passed the point where you could shoot out in your backyard without being noticed. As I recall, even some of the .25s from way back when were punching holes through some pretty sturdy backstops. As for the big bore stuff...it might get you noticed in a not-so-good wayinmate

What you need is Kents back yard. grinning smiley
January 23, 2012 02:45PM
Yep. I have to pack up and make an expedition out of it. This area has changed about 900% since I was a child. One of the local strip malls has has two electric charging stations for the onslaught of electric cars. The other day, for the first time ever, I actually saw a ... thing ... plugged in there. Long cord thick as a gas hose snaked around it and plugged in. Can you say tripping hazard? Can't wait for the other eight hundred cars in the lot to all be plugged in with several miles of thick cords. Maddness. All hooked to coal fired power plants that produce the electricity. That'll help. But I digress. winking smiley

Yes, it's changed. I better get this testing done while we can still shoot at the farm. They might turn it into a wind farm any day now. I hear our governor wants to raise our gas tax 30 cents a gallon (to 58 per gal) so he can build windmills on our coast. That'll help. Yes- Texas is looking better all the time. thumbs up
January 23, 2012 03:02PM
Yeah that's the ticket.

Way South Texas hardly even frost down there. Get you small spread, have a 500 yd range out your back door. Land prices are good right now. I would help you move. Dory
January 23, 2012 05:01PM
Thank you Dory,

I appreciate the offer.

I didn't have in mind being six hours from a hospital though. ;?) Perhaps a little more "central Texas" might be a better fit. I can live with 70 degrees in January. Doesn't have to be 80. ;?) Besides, it's closer for you to haul my milling machines ... ;?)

Gary
January 23, 2012 05:30PM
Yeah,

Probably good idea check out where all the good doctors for your needs. Probably San Antonio and Austin areas, would do it. Stay with in an 30 min to an hours drive. That would give give you plenty of territory to look around in. You'll have to plan your next vacation down that way and check it out.

There ought to be lotsa properties to fit your needs. Just get one that has a shed out back like Ken's and you'll never lack for space and have a initial testing range inside to bootsmiling smiley Dory
January 23, 2012 05:56PM
Good advice Dory. You're reading my play book.

To keep things coming out of my shop for as long as possible, I'll need to adjust. I can't just say it's always been this way, it can't change.

Age and health don't remain the same. I'm pretty good at adjusting. Other then the requirement to explain and justify. I try to build that into daily snippets so it's gradual.

Gary
January 23, 2012 08:01PM
Just make sure that any new shop additions are built into standard shipping containers. That day when moving days comes, you can just jack them up and back a truck underneath and you're off! Of course, anyone that has owned a camper would tell you that being driven around can be hard on unsecured items. If we took your current shop and somehow mysteriously loaded it onto a trailer as-is, just driving it around the block would make at least a weeks worth of work to straighten it back out again.

Moving the bluing tanks is gonna be...ugly.scared
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021