Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Computer Issues

Computer Issues
January 28, 2012 08:00PM
Computer is in the shop. That took email with it.

If you need something, please use the PM system here on Rendezvous.

Prior to that, wireless modem and service has been spotty. Kelly spent four hours (four sessions) with techs. Each one "fixed" the problems. It all returned within an hour or two. The headaches lasted much longer, from listening so hard to the tortured English.

No - no screen take over on my PC. Just luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 10:03PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Computer Issues
February 04, 2012 12:15AM
Got my computer back.

After some head banging ... and some patient tech time which Jerry put in with me ... I have e-mail back. I do have an address book. I think it's current (hopefully having set up the account at my ISP ... I haven't tapped into an old hacked account). I cannot find my files though. The fact that the address book survives, suggests that they are burried in the 76 Gigs of stuff on the drive. Hope I can find them.

Of course, all my programs have to be loaded again. Everything is different and this stuff is not my forte.

Thanks for the help Jerry,

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 02:29AM by barnespneumatic.
February 06, 2012 10:20PM
As it turns out, the techs were NOT able to fix my computer. They thought they did. But it ran horribly slow. Wouldn't do tasks. Wouldn't quit trying to do tasks. Then went back to blue screen. Now it won't even try to boot.
It happens

What I'm posting now, is just a notification that I can receive mail on another computer. I've set up a program there. But I don't have my address book, so I'm unable to follow thru on a few areas of business that were pending. Write if you need me, at mail@glbarnes.com

If you become aware of someone needing me, please let them know. I'll be on the process of buying a new unit and setting it up. Well, someone else will.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Of course, remember we have the PM system here.

Gary
February 07, 2012 09:33PM
Gary, you are most welcome for the limited help I provided. Too bad the machine wasn't really fixed. I suspect the files are still there, it's just an Easter egg hunt now...

Not that you've asked but I do have some advice... 1. Get a mainstream anti-virus program with auto updates. 2. Start using Microsoft Outlook for email.

1. There are plenty of anti-virus programs out there and some are free. Free sounds great until you realize that free means "they" owe you nothing. Free also ends up meaning you need to be a techy to get updates or the program just goes unsupported at some point in time that nobody tells you. Since most of us don't hang out at the tech boards and don't want to, the free program turns into no virus protection...

2. Outlook might not be the best email program and it may have more features than one needs but it has one huge advantage, support. Outlook is used by millions and who knows how many thousands of companies. It's a huge money maker for Microsoft and thus they support it and make updates and recovery/transition as easy as possible. The free software might be cheap and good enough but it is considered "starter" software and just doesn't get the recovery features the varsity gear gets.

Going with the mainstream business apps might not be cutting edge or the cheapest solution but it does let you tag along on the demands that the huge dollar customers have.
February 19, 2012 03:49AM
Still don't have the rebuilt unit back yet. Hopefully my address book will be intact. We'll see. anyway, I haven't forgotten the business issues pending. I've been forced down a couple of side tracks though. Hope it all comes back together soon. Perhaps this is why SOME business models use
More than one man. winking smiley
February 19, 2012 02:38PM
Just have Dave do it Dory
February 19, 2012 03:53PM
Hi Mark,
Dave has been off in several other directions. Haha. Besides, Dave doesn't gut computers. Much too messy inside. Gigabytes are messy things. winking smiley
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021