Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FIRST FIRE 56 BISON

FIRST FIRE 56 BISON
January 29, 2012 06:02PM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

First Fire of a piece I've been working on for so long, is better than my birthday. I've had this fine rifle under build for many years. This issoecial. I've tried so hard to get to this point. BTW, this customer has been extremely patient. I did NOT get onto this gun because I had my feathers dusted. In fact - just the opposite. And now it's ready to fire.

I had a bag of .563 round ball I've had since the last 56. That's been some time. This gun features it's period 36 groove microbore Barnes barrel.

The set up. Shooting thru the muzzler with no stock on the action. (and keeping my lip which is nearly healed now, out of the way of recoil).

Very nice return on 2,800 psi. That absolute first shot puts it exactly on spec.

I wondered how that stacked up to vintage data. Keep in mind, when the gun is pushing heavy slugs, it will gain a couple hundred foot pounds more energy. But I wondered if I had vintage data on a similar gun and round ball.

Turns out I have good data in the shop books from Sept. 99. And it's from a 56 Bison. And it's with round ball.
HOWEVER: I did miss the energy by a .17 of ONE foot pound.

Well ... Ya win some ... ..... Haha. winking smiley

Amazing.

Thought I'd share it. Can't even tell the customer. He's never joined the forum. My email is down with my addy book. So; guess it's you and me.

Thanks for reading.

Gary
Re: FIRST FIRE 56 BISON
January 29, 2012 06:42PM
Might as well split the hairs. My first shot energy was just clipped to one decimal place. My wood burning 40 year old Radio Shack calculator is still sitting here displaying the energy of that first shot. 445.236 for. You round that off and you get 445.24. Sub that from the Sept. 99 data and you get .13 of a foot pound difference. WELL THAT'S BETTER!

I feel better now. winking smiley
January 29, 2012 11:08PM
Well done! Looks like your run of crappy luck is over for now.
January 30, 2012 02:30AM
Beautiful gun with awesome specs. Who could ask for anything more? wow
If anyone ever turns down a completed Bison, let me know.... "festive"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 02:15AM by Scott.
January 30, 2012 02:39AM
I'd say that you've got your processes and procedures down pretty well to get that kind of repeatability. And I'm glad to hear that no Garys were harmed in the making of this film. The ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Airgunsmiths) will be happy to hear it, no doubt. more innocent
February 08, 2012 03:22AM
I was just going around the net getting jaded... Nonetheless, it's still a bit remarkable that a gun shooting BALL gets this much power, as designed!
February 08, 2012 04:32PM
I'm listening to The Battle of the Crater and the author is quoting the 58 cal Civil War (War of Northern Aggression for us Rebs) are pushing out 900 fps. A patched .563 is a 58 for all intent. That's some awesome power from 2500 psi air. Way to go Gary.More coffee

Kent
February 08, 2012 05:27PM
So you gave up your northern roots.
February 08, 2012 09:30PM
......and the great work continues. Gotta love RB's especially .360" and up. Very nice Gary.
February 09, 2012 01:04AM
Thks guys. Guess I should try another shot. That was the one and only shot the gun has yet fired!
One thing or another has gone on. Computer blew up just as I needed to coordinate with the bison Client. Got onto these scout actions to push that along. I'll get back to this one. Trying to breathe life into a couple of other actions first.
February 12, 2012 08:46PM
its interesting that the 16 grove phase seems to have vanished , with the likes of 17hmr and the likes i sort of thought it would make a big come back , but not too much sign of micro button bores again , maybe it was just a fad , like five grove rifeling.
it will be bell ended barels again ,,,,

soon

lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021