Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Details of Sheaths

The Details of Sheaths
January 15, 2017 08:07PM
Any Sheath Knife needs a sheath. Over my career in Knifemaking, I've made a small percentage of sheath knives. Reason being; a sheath is a good bit of work. It has to be safe. Has to carry well. You are not done when you finish the knife. It's then time to start the sheath. And, it's difficult to be paid for the hours spent on sheathes. I think it's kind of natural to consider that the sheath just sort of "comes with it". I mean, you can't just walk home with the knife alone, can you.

I thought I'd just show you a few considerations on a sheath I'm making. Enjoy.

image.jpeg

Please take note that the knife is mummy wrapped in orange tape. Am I hiding it? No. I'm protecting it. It is the form around which wet leather will be molded. This is s POUCH SHEATH. The knife has a very interesting piece of stag. It has twists and turns. I have carefully chosen it and cut it, so that it fits comfortably in the grip of either hand!

However; it's contours do not make it fit a traditional sheath. So we are going to drop the entire knife in a pouch. But, you can't just fold leather. And, we want the knife to be gripped snuggly by the leather. We have to "Wet Mold" the pouch main component.

The leather is saturated in hot water. It becomes like clay. I fold it, and then I mold it to the knife. Neat contours form.

Now, we have to secure it on a belt. Notches could be used, but let's give the sheath the ability to swing aside when on a tree stand seat, or a truck seat. HEY!!!! That's NICE!!!! Why don't you do that to ALL YOUR SHEATHS???! Because it's not needed on small knives, and you can't get paid for it on most designs. Look at what is required here .....

You notice the sheath side isn't closed? Why? Because I need access down inside the sheath. Note also, I'll have to glue in the "Welt" that is the extra layer that protects the edge of the sheath from the edge of the knife. It adds a layer of thickness which makes a "chamber" inside the sheath. Not just a skin on each side. On this pouch sheath, the welt will keep the edge from cutting thru. NOW .... what's that OTHER STRIP of leather along the inside fold. Well that is the "Interior Welt". This knife has an upswept blade. Wouldn't be too nice to push the knife into the sheath and unzip the folded edge all the way down!! Hummmmmm more work.

Now .... To carry the sheath. I COULD stitch s loop onto the sheath. Have to be done while the sheath is open. AND COUNTERSUNK so the threads were not snagged and cut.
Well, I went with the swivel. So, there is an AXLE for the leather to swivel on. Has to have a head on both ends. I went with a stainless machine screw and nut. Oh!!! THE HEAD of the machine screw!!!!! It can't just be protruding on the inside of the sheath!!! It has to be countersunk!

image.jpeg

Has to be countersunk!!!! Well, you can't countersink a layer of leather and have it hold. Could glue on extra thicknesses. But that is more cutting, fitting, edge finishing, gluing, clamping As a solid design, I'll make a brass CUP WASHER such as used under stock screws. Can't just toss it in there. Have to COUNTERSINK the leather now. Then make the washer. Roughen the back of the washer. Epoxy the washer onto the leather. Thus finally making a proper HARD POINT for the sheath pivot to act on. Simple. These things practically make themselves!

All this before you can even close the sheath sides. And that will be done in stages. There are two more pcs in there. And you simply can't align any glue them all at once.

Then cut, sand, burnish, epoxy, drill, rivet, dye, wax. SIMPLE. What's that all worth? Haha.

And those are some so considerations of facts regarding sheaths. Haven't even mentioned tooling, inset exotic leathers, fancy stitching, and more.

take a bow

Thanks for reading! Just some of the hidden parts of the job. thumbs up
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2017 05:12PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: The Details of Sheaths
January 17, 2017 05:19PM
image.jpeg

Pic looking down inside this pouch sheath.

If you recall, I put a inner welt to protect the fold side and guide the blade point into the sheath. It's a five layer welt - count 'em.

These details take time. You can perhaps consider how simple knives - in order to be a complete kit - aren't simple.

The five layer Welt was epoxied in, and then ground to shape to blend.

Hooe you enjoy following along.
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2017 05:20PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021