Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hope your weekend is ...

Hope your weekend is ...
January 29, 2017 03:18AM
Going well.

I've been having a lot of headaches recently. Just wanted you to know I'm home working. I'll drop in and out. If you are doing anything interesting, let us share.

Thanks guys

Gary
Re: Hope your weekend is ...
January 29, 2017 04:05AM
Gary and All,

It has been raining everyday but I have been shooting at a covered range and have put the first 500 pellets through it I feel it is shooting well enough to take rats and I know how it shoots. Had some tuning issues I fixed by dumb luck and a good guess. (had a 50/50 chance)

Thought I had a good basic understanding of what goes on with hammer, springs, valve, pressure, barrel length, and hammer travel. Then I messaged Gary and in one paragraph his massive knowledge proved it was luck that I guessed right. Thanks Gary I am still trying to understand what you explained. It really helped me and I am working to build the base knowledge. But at my age it is a long shot.

But all in all for the money invested it shoots better than I expected. At 20 Meters (my max with this gun, local pellets, and scope) I can put 5 shots on paper from a bench and almost always cover the group with a US dime. The first 5 shots average 18 FPE which is a bit high for rats up close and in bamboo barns.

I still am waiting for the MUD and MUCK to dry up to get to the barns.

Gary hope the headaches cut out soon.

Be safe all,

Larry
January 29, 2017 02:45PM
Hello Larry,

Thank you for the kind words. We will have another discussion and build on the last. Sounds like you have an excellent shooter there. Any rat would be honored to be killed by such an excellent machine. thumbs up. Seems your tuning worked out great! Well done.

Careful, it's a short step from tuning yours to .... having guns in cubbies with tags on them, and the phone ringing. nowthatIthink Haha.

Enjoy! And post pictures. artist

Gary
January 29, 2017 10:27PM
Gary,

When the rain lets up I will go shoot rats and post.

You proved to me that I do not have the base knowledge to really troubleshoot, repair, and tune an airguns. Simple stuff maybe. But I could have guessed the wrong way too.

Here the airguns are copies of copies with very low grade parts and nothing is interchangeable except the main valve and those are not really all the same. I will leave the repair and tuning to other people.

I hope you are feeling better.

Larry
January 30, 2017 12:33PM
Larry
Sounds like good clean muddy fun . 500 pellets ??? You've been busy . As for the mud I guess it could be snow ! Haha we got 3-4" of fresh fluffy this morning .

Thanks
Kurt
January 30, 2017 01:26PM
Kurt,

I am retired so lots of time and no real life. ha ha .. Lots of small fixes like I said, so many tests after the fixes and I have not shot for many years. I did not want to shoot even a rat till I felt I could put a pellet where I need it. The China copy of the scope is useless over 4 power but at 4 it holds zero. The last 200 or so pellets I got a scale and sorted by weight. That stopped the vertical stringing problem. The pellets are really good for head and skirt size but weight is up and down. So now I have my next 500 sorted into three weights and scope marked so I can set the scope for the box of pellets I am taking with me.

You were 100% correct the guns here are basic copies of that same Crossman at least on the outside. Gary was surprised to find that all the guns are based around one valve made by one company and shipped to the backyard airgun makers. The valves are crude but seem to work. My guess is since they are all Co2 one basic valve is all they need.

4"of snow? Better you than me. Warm mud seems way better to me than snow and slush.

Be safe,

Larry
January 30, 2017 02:44PM
Warm mud is good for the skin too ! Haha If you ever get that valve out you should mic it out . Awhile ago I bought a airgun repair shops inventory and I might be able to hook you up with internals . A lot of Crosman ARE pretty much same . I don't sell parts but use them to fix my own stuff . Send me a pm if interested . It can't hurt checkin .

Thanks
Kurt
January 30, 2017 10:18PM
Kurt,

Great, PM on the way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021