Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stock Carving. .308". Walnut

Stock Carving. .308". Walnut
February 16, 2017 01:13AM
Finishing up this .308 for delivery now.

image.jpeg

I'll bring you along tomorrow ... As I finish carving.

Gary
Re: Stock Carving. .308". Walnut
February 16, 2017 01:33AM
Can't wait to see the finished product. It's already looking Awesome!
Bob
February 16, 2017 08:34AM
Gary
That's a sweet little carbine looking stock . I love the style and it looks like it would fit my hand perfectly !

Thanks
Kurt
February 16, 2017 04:41PM
Hold that thought Kurt. Start sticking those hundred dollar bills that you get for change, in a coffee can. thumbs up

image.jpeg

I've been carving on this all morning. Mainly the couple of miles of parimeter around the panels.

Gonna look great in oil. I snapped this pic a while ago, because I liked this scroll and vine work.

Gary
February 16, 2017 04:48PM
Gary,

That is one fine looking stock...and it isn't even done yet! What model is it going to grace? It can't be mine since I'm just getting plain old walnut (but I can dream ).

Karl
February 16, 2017 07:01PM
Hi Karl.

It's a 308 Hawk.

Light Rifle a bit bigger then the Appoloosa or the Victory Carbines.

Robert's rifle.

He's getting an excellent example of CDH. (carving during headache). It's been going on for weeks again. The Docs are trying to figure why my bunch of BP meds are about as helpful as m'nms.

I think it's gonna be a great piece. Will be done pretty soon

Thanks Karl,
Gary
February 16, 2017 09:56PM
Still at it ....

image.jpeg

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 17, 2017 12:13AM
Beautiful work, nice to see walnut on a rifle!!. Have not seen many lately. Hope the headaches go away, are they migraines with a starting aura? Any ideas on the triggers (for the headaches not the guns).? Just remember the sun will come up tomorrow so stick with it and I hope it gets better for you.I was able to isolate my triggers and have it pretty much under control. But it is tough when they hit.
Best wishes and thoughts.
GaryL
February 17, 2017 12:54AM
I've made several passes to the carving. I've then began to sand. Looking nice. As I see more detail in the carving which needs attention, I'll catch that.

Hope you like seeing the work.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The entire stock must be sanded. Then the oiling begins.

I think the action is mostly complete. I'll check it thoroughly. Hope to deliver soon.

Gary
February 17, 2017 05:03AM
Always a treat.

Lon
February 17, 2017 12:46PM
Looking very nice! Your attention to detail so much above a regular wood worker! Can't wait to see the grain pop with the oil!
Love it Gary.

Bob
February 17, 2017 03:29PM
Gary, beautiful carving work. Can't wait to see it with the oil finish. Thanks for showing your work in progress. I know that Robert must be exited.

Julio
February 17, 2017 05:19PM
Thank you Guys! I appreciate your comments, very much.

I've been sanding the "walnut" parts. Hah. All the contours.

image.jpeg

It's coming along.

Gary
February 17, 2017 07:06PM
Gary
That looks excellent
I'm kinda suprised you sand AFTER all the carving . I would be afraid of damaging the detail even if sanding was all done by hand .
It's really art at its finest level and I'm sure Robert is getting super anxious.
Thanks for sharing

Thanks
Kurt
February 17, 2017 09:13PM
You mean ya think its like painting the car and THEN fixing the rust? Haha.

Not quite. Ha.

I turn and flip and toss the stock every way to Sunday, a thousand times. It's "vulnerable" until the carving is done.

Now, you realize ... it doesn't have twigs and leaves on it before carving. I've done a little bit first ... so it's not horribly rough.

Hey .... be back ....
February 17, 2017 10:00PM
I'm back.

So; I guess I should call it "Finish Ssnding". I do the shaping and bulk Ssnding. Then Carve. Then clean up. That's how they taught me at homemade stock guy school. thumbs up

Thanks Kurt!
Gary
February 18, 2017 12:12AM
image.jpeg

I hope I got a fortune for this miserable stock ... .... Cough .... wheezzzzee ..... Even more coffee

Aaaahhh.... huh .... what??? Oh! We're BACK? "Weehellll!!!" grinning smiley coffee cooler

I sure love the taste of walnut dust, and I can feel the burn in my shoulders. Makes a man feel alive. Weights. Yes Sir!!!!

Can just about see the stock oil from here! sunny

Gary
February 18, 2017 12:38AM
Don't you just Love it when a plan comes together! looking Goooood ! I am sure the oil will knock my socks off !
Beauty, Thanks Gary

Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021