Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kurt's Knife

Kurt's Knife
March 09, 2017 01:46AM
image.jpeg

I've been working on and am very near finishing this fine knife that's been on the books.

Looking good Kurt!

Gary
Re: Kurt's Knife
March 09, 2017 05:13AM
What are the scales made from? Looks like some cool stuff going on there.

Lon
March 09, 2017 09:41AM
Thanks a bunch Gary
It's looking good . I see alittle file work in there too . I sure can't wait for the finish product .
bowing

Thanks
Kurt
March 09, 2017 01:41PM
I bet you can't Kurt !
Looks to be some intricate carving on the scale/bolster, that looks to be solid copper ,
but I am sure Gary is playing more tricks on us.
Beautiful knife Gary!

Bob
March 09, 2017 01:58PM
I have a few more pics here Bob. Snapped a few before dinner at 9 last night, and never processed them. Slacker. Hah.

Gary
March 09, 2017 02:16PM
Mo Pix

The Case is Hammered Copper over German Silver liners. The liners are file cut, top and bottom of the case - for contrast and to frame the Filework. The Tri/color of Steel, Nickle, and Copper / along with the oxide in the Filework, will really pop in final format.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Enjoy!
Gary
March 09, 2017 02:40PM
The engravings will darkened for contrast.
March 10, 2017 01:14PM
Wow Kurt! That one for sure has personality and it's a beauty. I'm glad for you and I know that you will enjoy it.

Gary thanks for sharing your work in progress with us.

Julio
March 10, 2017 04:55PM
Hey julio
Thanks I'm excited . The parts I saw at the skeeter shoot made me fall in love with it and I just had to have it . I think Gary had the scales laying there and I said hey hey hey if you ever get that done , put my name on it .

Thanks
Kurt
March 11, 2017 12:13AM
You did well, that's one of the advantages of attending the shoots.bowing
March 11, 2017 12:20AM
Gee thanks Kurt.

Julio did the same thing .... and those parts are in a drawer with his own personal strip of Orange Tape with his name on it! whistling

footinmouthblush

Gary
March 11, 2017 09:32PM
image.jpeg

Another operation closer to completing Kurt's Knife. This is milling the RELIEF for the Ricasso of Kurt's Blade. This allows the blade to rotate open and closed without scarring up the surface of the Ricasso.

This is a very fine knife.

It's nearly ready for assembly.

I'm processing four knives at once. Almost there.

Gary
March 12, 2017 06:31PM
Gary
Who even knew you'd hafta have a MILL to make a knife ??? I understand the importance of the mechanics of a moving object that will take on years of opening and closing and snapping open and snapping shut due to the spring . The effort probably goes unnoticed by most collectors of your knifes due to the minimal usage .
I for one have completely abused and used my first MD 97 and still use it daily . It's the longest I've ever carried the same knife without switching out do to one reason or another .
I've never told you this but I did mention to Keith at the last skeeter shoot . I was having problems with the knife opening and closing and wd~40 wasn't helping . It seemed to get tighter and harder to open & close . Now I know you said not to but I carry it in my pocket .
Anyways I desided to take ALL the screws out and completly disassemble the knife and clean & maybe polish the pivot pin . I know your busy and didn't want to not have it on me and figured how hard can it be ?

Well ...... I took all the screws out and I do mean ALL. Now I have a plastic pocket sleeve with a snap on it that measures 1" tall X1" wide . It has about 15 of the smallest Allen wrenches you've ever seen and most folks wouldn't even have but ... I needed them for this knife . I couldn't get the knife apart . The anvil cam bar and set adjusting screws all came out but ... . I'm pretty good mechanically and know better than to pry anything apart and with all the wiggling and jiggiling and twisting I still only had a pile of screws and small hollow pin spacer .
I desided to just blast it good with WD and air and NOT disect any further . So that just goes to show the fit was so tight it wouldn't even come apart without the screws in place . I know fer sure you would have given me the best tune~ up on the knife it ever had ( no question ) but then you would have told me how I need a sheath and shouldn't carry in my pocket loose .
I will some day ask you for a once over on it but it's just not today !

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 06:57PM by kurt wag.
March 12, 2017 07:47PM
You took out the machine screw the pivot, and the machine screw thru the back spacer at the rear of the knife?

With the cam bar out, and the other two mentioned, there's nothing to prevent the sides separating.

When it does, the plunger spring will go past your left ear ....

It's just full of grime. Shouldn't be any usage wear components. Just those things scarred by foreign grit.

Sure, don't force anything. It should just float open and closed effortlessly.

thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021