Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shop time

Shop time
March 25, 2017 12:11PM
I've been fortunate to get an extra helping of shop time. I'm grateful.

I took some raw parts, and I've made them into a beautiful knife which will be headed to the enormous Tulsa Gun/Knife Show. That's either 4,300 or 4,700 tables. (Like it matters - haha).

I worked til 11 last night. Dude, that was 14 hours yesterday. I have the short list to do this morning and get it sent off. Hope the USPS Driver closes the back door to the truck!!!

image.jpeg

The contrast will be much higher when the background is cleaned and treated.

Gary
Re: Shop time
March 25, 2017 02:34PM
Very Unique. That's a lot of carving for sure.Will make someone very happy.

Rick G
March 25, 2017 11:29PM
Update. I was up at 6:30 and worked on the knife until 11:15. Post office closes at Noon on Saturday.

The entire last list showed all items changed from yellow and struck thru with green. (Hey, when I working that hard after a long day, I'm not going to just overwrite the yellow dot with green, I STRIKE the ENTIRE LINE!!!!! haha.

I did the final assembly. It looked magnificent!!!! I set the cam. Perfect. Then checked the "closed position" lock up - as a quick afterthought. Ah ..... Checkeddddf the closed position lock up. surprised Ahhhhh ...... More sad. Some glitch. Busted.

So, I'm back to figuring that out ..... nutzzzz.
March 25, 2017 11:34PM
Aw man that's a bummer . Musta been rushing to much . There's always Monday to ship . Any ideas ? You did smoke thru them in record time .

Thanks
Kurt
March 26, 2017 07:50PM
It was a judgement call I made. The lock up is a combination of the blade recess, the plunger button, and the cam anvil bar.

I have decided I need an altered plunger. I've made it. Need to heat treat it now. The new one will remove a taper I had built into the first. I went for a tunable gradual lock up with the cam adjust, and that worked nice open. But I overlooked the geometry needed on the closed lock.

I don't know that it was the result of haste. Just judgement.

We shall see soon. See if I get any shop time to complete before the shipping final final cut off.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021