Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Picture about 8:30 pm - THE 75% Phase - "Spalted Base Camp!"

Picture about 8:30 pm - THE 75% Phase - "Spalted Base Camp!"
March 07, 2017 01:07AM
You know how I use the bent pins to pin the sides and blade/spring into place .... then I can grind around the outside and polish, etc.

The knife, in this condition; looks about 75 % of what it will be. You can envision then.

Dealing with the handle material took a bit longer than anticipated. It's new to me. Neat stuff though.

Hang on ..,, pic coming.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 01:43AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Picture about 8:30 pm
March 07, 2017 01:41AM
8:32pm!!! Hah!!!!

Ok. Here's what I have. It's the Base CampFormat. Slightly upgraded.

For a working knife, this Wharncliff Blade shape is just the best. Now, this one has a front drum bearing and it has THE VERY FIRST of my HOME SPUN PETRIFIED WOOD!!!!!

I really like it. And .... I think it's perfect that it is SPALTED SOUTHERN LIVE OAK. It's a really unique appearance

The blade, and entire knife - will be completed to a Satin finish.

I'll have it for Sale Tomorrow. AND .... Right now - in various stages, I have 3 of these Knives!

What do you think Guys? (Everybody here knows the term "Guys" refers to anyone comfortable sitting on the Shop's front porch!). take a bow

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 01:48AM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Re: Picture about 8:30 pm - THE 75% Phase - "Spalted Base Camp!"
March 07, 2017 03:53AM
Love it Gary, Nice beefy profile. One of these days if i can finish the other purchase....... Feels like i'm missing out.
March 07, 2017 09:35AM
Gary
I could see myself whittling on the shop porch with that for hours . The wood turned out great . Even the edges of the scales have a beautiful spalted grain to them . You might have a future in the knife thing . Hehe bowingBang!

Thanks
Kurt
March 07, 2017 01:00PM
Hi Kurt

Thks.

I'll round over the edges. That grain will become part of the face frame. Neat stuff.

People don't whittle enough anymore. Ha

Gary
March 07, 2017 01:02PM
Hey Gary,
That is gorgeous. I really like it. Thanks for sharing.
Jeff
March 07, 2017 01:19PM
Guys. In the pic where the knife is closed and headed left .... the knife is elevated on the trial pins. That gives a false perspective to the relationship between knife and ruler. The knife is pocket size, not belt size. thumbs up

Gary
March 07, 2017 03:31PM
Great use of the local materials!! You probably tripped over it , picked it up and recognized what it could become! The rest of us would have put it on the burn pile!
Another great knife and beautiful example of what you can do with Spalted wood .

Thanks, Bob
March 07, 2017 05:20PM
Thanks Bob,

Close. I went looking for it. But I've done plenty of tripping around here too. I need to make some thorn vine handles! Hummmmmm nowthatIthink

This is a neat material. It has to be cut .... THEN in a moist hot condition .... but not too much. Then caught at the right time. THEN dried without cracking up. THEN stabalized. Have to see how repeatable my toe is for tripping over the good stuff! wink

Thanks for commenting!
Gary
April 11, 2017 06:59PM
Base camp hmmm
Sounds like a workin knife .
Some of my favorite Barnes knifes I have given names too. I'm not sure Gary since you updated this if it's still a proper name . I am SUPER impressed with the way the oak polished up after stabilizing. It doesn't even feel like wood but it's very comfortable in my hand .
I'm thinking I'll make a holster for my phone from garment leather with a side pocket for my Base Camp knife. So how much MORE of that spalted oak you have left ?? I'm thinking maybe a cleaver for base camp kitchen.
Anyways I can't wait to see what else come from your vacuum chamber . I'm very impressed that you can get such a polish on the finished wood !

BTW
How much for the drawing of the engraving before you did the metal?
It's really amazing you can grind two different types of material seamlessly. I'd think it would grab when you get to soft non- ferrous from spring and back .

Thanks
Kurt
April 11, 2017 07:19PM
Hi Kurt,

I'll send you the drawing. You mind if I make a photocopy first? Hehe.

What's the title of the post where it's pictured. I can't find the pic posted ....

Real glad you like the knife. It deserved a good home. It's funny. For 43 years people have been telling me that my work looks sooooooo far beyond what they saw in pictures. AND, they've always said I took great pics to boot. But, still ... if I make something that is just a little bit outside what people are familiar with .... they're pretty sure I've done something dumb there. Like that Wharncliff blade or a Barlow's clipped blade. Whooooh there Cow poke .... that's not the drop point we've all agreed on for the last forty years. Haha.

I'm glad you like it Kurt.

IMG_4301.JPG

Gary
April 11, 2017 07:26PM
Gary
Of course the post is under " DETAILS "
I can't wait to carry it to work . There's a number of reasons to have that blade style which is my first and only sheep foot .

1: easy to sharpen !

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021