Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Scout Projects

Scout Projects
February 06, 2012 04:52AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I tried to grab a pic that might give you an idea of what is involved, without showing things I cant show.

The Scout requires very precise bores and machined shafts, which fit together extremely tight, at very exacting angles. That includes perfectly round holes, with flat bottoms.

If you think of trying to drill a hole in the side of a cylinder, you know that centeringnit is key. Then, since your tool is spinning, it will not want to stay in position. Since the tool will be cutting only the part of the revolution until it gets completely below the surface, there is unequal stress on it. All is compounded when you try to drill into a cylinder on an angle. Any chatter will egg shape the hole. Of course, then the shaft will not fit.

You want to make it look like some ancient Indian craftsman, guided by extraterrestrials, had done it. winking smiley. And do so at the exact angles, to the exact depth, and with flat bottoms and square shoulders. There! I've told you how to do it. winking smiley. Now you can get rich too!!! ;?)

Thanks for reading.
Gary
Re: Scout Projects
February 06, 2012 02:04PM
Elegant solution Gary! I really think that angle is the key to the traditional lines that so many like in this format. I know I miss the Grey Wolf during its stay in TX. Maybe some more pics from its currrent guardian would help?

I think you should sell this as a Kit. Just this assembly should be patented and packaged for the DIY crowd. 99% won't get around to finishing the project and would by a completed rifle instead.

Kent
Re: Scout Projects
February 06, 2012 07:45PM
I'll bet I could make something that looked a lot like that...if I was trying to fit all the parts at exactly 90 degree angles. winking smiley

Lets see, hold it against my workstump with my knee and....dang! OK...let try from the other side instead and....well, maybe I can get the drillbit unstuck with the vice-grips and...shoot! You can't drill out a broken drill stub with another drill...can you? Perhaps I can hammer it all the way through with a sledge...oh !#$%*!!! I'll just wrap it with this rag to staunch the bleeding until I can get inside....injured
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021