Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Continued Garage Improvement

Continued Garage Improvement
November 04, 2017 04:15AM
In an effort to make more room in the garage and remove the garbage odours I had a garage bin storage container made. Now why didn’t I make it myself? There is a story behind it.

I walk our dog around the block about 2-3 times a day. In summer walked by an older gentleman that I have slowly got to know. He greets the dog and we exchange pleasantries over the last 9-10 months. I noticed his garage door open and saw many simple wood working tools. Next time I saw him I asked if he was a wood worker? He said he built a few simplier projects over the years. He asked if I had something in mind upon which I told him I have been thinking of building an outdoor garage container storage.

After working through some plans and costs he built it for me. $200 materials and when I asked what he wanted for his labour, he said whatever I thought was decent. I handed him $100 and he refused. He replied $40 was plenty. We finally settled on $60.

So why let him build it? Well prior to this he informed me that he is being treated for colon cancer. A project to keep him busy was what he wanted and needed before the radiation therapy started. He was so appreciative about letting him build the unit. Kept his mind on something and busy for a few days.

Just goes to show how keeping at something can lift spirits and keep the mind sharp. Turns out the gentleman was an electrical engineer and knows a lot about welders. Built a few power supplies for dc. Maybe ask him to help build a DC scratch start tig welder over winter.

5BC0FB77-4602-4475-B809-84B9F1514209.jpeg

Used a waterproof deck coating on the storage container. Goes on thick and has anti slip grit. Makes it look a bit like plastics. Plus it was on sale!

It’s going outside Saturday. Forecasting 4-6 inches of snow for tomorrow.

Thanks for reading!

Pedro
Re: Continued Garage Improvement
November 04, 2017 04:39AM
Pedro,

Excellent choice to commission your neighbor. Well done
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021