Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

American Guns

American Guns
February 16, 2012 03:47AM
Evidently it's yet another new show with a gun shop as a background for endless drama.

You guys watch an episode, and then tell me if I should double, triple, or add a order of magnitude to my prices.

They evidently assemble based upon the Tuttle school. Egg out the holes with a drill bit in a hand held drill. OMG. Then the definitive test of the assembled production pistol was one shot to make sure the bullet came out. After it did (I was shocked too), it was declared that the "finish held up perfectly".

Gotta get back ... They're going to weld ten barrels side by side for $11,000. Don't want to miss that challenge ...
brick wall
Re: American Guns
February 16, 2012 04:56AM
Ok, I watched. I'm so embassased for them, I'm gonna have to sleep with a bag over my head.

Guy shows them a Civil War volley gun. They weld up some junk on a yard trailer with dinky pneumatic tires. They paint it drab green and wear WW2 helmets while spouting off about how Patriotic it makes them feel to shoot red, white, and blue jelly beans. what was that Why? Well because jelly beans were developed during the Civil War ... so they say.

Of course, that's why they must be wearing that WW2 garb. Now, in WW2, did they also muzzle load black powder barrels and light them with a length of angle iron sprinkled with black powder? I forget. nowthatIthink

Well, for $11,000.00, that customer is ONE LUCKY DUDE!!!

Did you like the part where they went on and on about how they had to use their CNC machine to drill the holes to pound the barrels into so they all shot accurately? laughing
February 16, 2012 05:50AM
Gary,

I think you're being a bit too rough on the show. Did you see the "Hand Cannon in Pink" episode?

They.....uh......looked like they knew what they were doing to me.whistling

Pink.JPG

Lon
February 16, 2012 07:29AM
Uhm...shouldn't that be cannons, as in the plural?grinning smiley
February 16, 2012 09:24AM
its not on in the uk yet ,,, just the trailers. ,,, sounds grim though
February 16, 2012 01:16PM
Looks purple to me. That's not WW2 battle dress. She? looks like the product of a CNC machine. Good news, she did get to deduct those upgrades as business related expense. Sadly, Kelly is never going to go for this business plan.

Kent
February 18, 2012 01:40AM
What have you guys got against hand cannons? laughing
February 18, 2012 04:42AM
Gary,

I watched a few shows and they are scripted and no one can act. I found the gun work to be crude. I watched the hand cannon show. I would not let the lathe guy make me door knob. "Glue the inner barrel that should hold it." No thanks you shoot it. Also you noticed they put a small load of Black Powder not a full load and did not patch the bullet or ball so there was lower pressure to be sure thank God. I would not have shot it. From the blow back from the primer hole that looks way to big to me.

Best quote from the show was the pink gun lady who said, " I want a big gun, bigger is better to me"! Well we can see that.

Gary loved your saying. Building guns the Tuttle way.

I like the American chopper where to get the "correct" rake after putting on 10" over forks on a roller they just got a saw and started cutting the welds where the frame is welded to the neck. Then when there was about 1/2" left holding the neck on the bike they jumped up and down on the bike till the last bit of weld bent and let the frame come down to be almost level with the ground. Hey Gary you OK with riding a 700 lb bike that Mikey welded the neck back on the frame? Really a real welder did but they did not test to see if it tracked after that.

Nice to see you do it the hard way.

Larry
February 18, 2012 05:43PM
the thing that hurts in orange county choppers is every hole is cut with a butchers stepped hole saw ,,, twenty five years ago they were tragic for cutting holes in wings for areials ,,,,, they cut everything with them ,,, its sad. ,, but mikeys funny
i did like the old grumpy guy in american hot rods though ,,, and the guys who do the trimming out of the interiors.
February 18, 2012 07:04PM
All those "reality show" buffoons are hacks of the first order. I wouldn't trust their work further than they could throw one of their overweight monstrosities that masquerade as motorcycles. The only reason any of the customers survive riding their botched abominations is that in actual reality, the "orange country chopper" crew don't really MAKE anything. They just bolt together (usually badly) things that OTHER people have made. All in all, it's for the best. Can you imagine trusting those idiots to make your front brake calipers, for example?
Not me.
February 19, 2012 03:39AM
Thing that stinks is, TV since the Tuttles, has been just one drama fit after the last drama fit. Absolutely EVERY show follows the template. I can't even grit my teeth through it anymore, for the few interesting glimpses into something new. The craftsmen are hacks. The parts are either commercial catalog items, or are CAD/CAM drawn and CNC machined. The information is flawed. The results are faked. And they are all the same. Isn't the country yet offended by what these producers think of us. Good grief, Jerry Springer is still on TV. With the same crap he had ten years ago.
Evidently it's been proven that a show accurately chronicling exactly what I do and how I do it, wouldn't get more then a hundred viewers nationwide. And, they have changed people's expectation of what handmade is, and how long it takes. Had somebody explain to me recently, that all I had to do to figure out when a given order would be complete ... was to just take how many guns I complete each month, and do a little math! How MANY EACH MONTH.
February 18, 2012 07:50PM
i wouldnt trust them to make a bed .....
Anonymous User
February 19, 2012 02:54PM
Amusing to watch, and could you imagine what type of firearm you could purchase for 11,0000.
February 19, 2012 03:49PM
Yes. Here, you'd get a handmade barrel. Each part of the gin would be made, by hand, from raw materials. It would be thoroughly engraved, by myself. It would have a relief carved stock - made completely by myself. It would be hot blued, oiled, and hand polished. The exact tooling for the projectiles would be provided, and range proofed. It would be adjusted, tuned, and documented - as well as published.

Now, by comparison: the guy in the show got angle iron, welded and spray painted. A batch of cheap commercial barrels WELDED to the iron box beam. The whole mess bolted to a $500 yard trailer, and spray painted. An awkward mechanism, and the greatest Handmade detail was a stenciled spray painted white star. Guy comes looking for a Civil War era theme gun, and gets 1860, 1970 trailer, and cheap Ww2 theatrics. I'd have refused it for one thousand dollars.

This is what real craftsmen fight today. I don't put myself in an exclusive class. There are many, many talented craftsmen out there. My friend Theo Hegmans in Germany is a master. I just read a story about Mark Laub, a master woodworker. There is a "spark" that shows in the work of master craftsmen. You can't hide it. You can't teach it. It does not come from a programed machine. And it certainly is nowhere evidenced in modern TV.

Well, there you went and triggered a monologue Don. winking smiley

Gary
February 19, 2012 04:35PM
but its all true too..
February 20, 2012 04:41AM
What it's called is the Lowest Common Denominator. Since a number of stupid people watch their show, they dumb it down until even stupid people can understand it. Same goes for the impatient and the technophobic, just eliminate everything that takes patience or knowledge. If any particular subject is deemed to be too complex for their couch potato demographic, it either gets eliminated from the show or simplified until it's suitable for Sesame Street.
February 20, 2012 02:20PM
You know, you don't know the disintegration that has taken place, until something tosses you into the unseen world that controls our lives. This insurance nightmare has been eye opening, once again. You go along with things in place. Some stupid thing tips a domino, and it all starts. Everything is now bases upon a computer model. It's automatic. You are compelled to fit. The few animated carbon units which service the data input, know nothing about the base business. They just know what input yields which output. If you don't fit, you are just a hanging Chad. It's madness.
Most of my nervous system has been devoted to this nonsense, for weeks now. No end in sight.

They've modeled the templates to herd the Sheepole. Fit in or spend your days burning out brain cells. It's maddnes.
February 20, 2012 02:08PM
My friend collects antique clocks. They have clock shows around the country every month. They have seminars where the experts show their stuff. Sitting there explaining how a particular mechanism built years ago works in minute detail. He loves it , think you could sell that.

I think the reason it sells, it's quick. From what I understand the first few shows are pre-taped, to check out the market. Those usually aren't to bad. Then they got to come up with hardware every week and that"s when things head south, build things fast and I quit watching. Dory
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021