Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Balisong!

Balisong!
December 18, 2017 11:41PM
I was asked by a Customer, to make a Balisong knife for a Martial Arts Student.

I have a fine 5" Damascus Blade Blank that I estimate I Forgewelded at BARNES FORGE in roughly 1983.

The 8 deep Blue inlays are Lapis.

The crosshatch areas are waste areas, which carry the holes for machine mounting. The profile of each handle stick tapers back to forward, and will be square, with severely rounded off corners; in crossection.

Hope you enjoy seeing progress ...
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 12:06AM by barnespneumatic.
IMG_9222.JPG
IMG_9223.JPG
IMG_9224.JPG
Re: Balisong!
December 18, 2017 11:54PM
Going to be an interesting change of pace.

Lon
December 20, 2017 12:15AM
Gary
Is there an end to WHAT your able to do ? That looks like a lot of machining too . Maybe Lon could print some parts to incorporate into a knife . Would that be cheating ? Maybe for you but the designs are endless for prototyping!

Thanks
Kurt
December 20, 2017 03:28AM
Thanks Kurt.

That was more machining then I anticipated. In the first place, just holding the materials was time consuming. I MADE a horizontal Milling attachment for this mill years ago. But it's a pain to attach and set up. And I just didn't think my homemade mill would be accurate enough. So I turned things around and machine screwed the billet onto a mounting block.

As you know, the order of events/processes dictate the tools, layout, accessibility, etc. A day evaporates during this kind of work.

Gary
December 20, 2017 10:26PM
I looked up the cost of lapis......nice knife!

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2017 10:28PM by Bigbore.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021