Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cold Spun Copper

Cold Spun Copper
January 23, 2018 03:13AM
IMG_9898.JPG

Ever hear of this technique? You "move" the metal around. You don't remove the metal. This is made from seamless copper tubing.

IMG_9897.JPG

This will be a nice Wire Damascus Hunting Knife. With German Silver and Spun Copper metal work. I plan for a stag section of handle as well.

Something I did as part of the afternoon. Amazing what you can do while coughing endlessly.

Hackkkkaattackkhh....

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2018 03:53AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Cold Spun Copper
January 23, 2018 04:37PM
Thats a pretty piece of copper ! Didn't know that you could even do that , buts thats why your the master!
That looks to be another Barnes Masterpiece.
Hope you and Kelly get over the health issues sooner than later. We're praying for your quick return to good (better) health.
Keep smiling, Bob
January 23, 2018 06:19PM
Oh... i use that technique everyday... Haha. I do refinish steel watch cases with buffing wheel. It's supposed to move metal around and fill in the low spots. Not sure what it's really doing but when the pieces are hot... you know it's working.
January 24, 2018 11:46AM
That's a pretty cool idea . I've seen them spin aluminum bowls on a mandrel with wood tooling . It was only on television but still a neat process. Do you have an insert when making those ? It will be a cool handle for sure !bowing

Thanks
Kurt
January 24, 2018 02:02PM
In these types of handles Kurt, I've used Stag that goes into the back of the copper. I've used Impala horn. (Yes, a 63 Lon ... haha). And, BTW, the copper is extra long because it contains the extra length of copper that goes inside the jig which holds the copper during the spinning process. Should look very nice. Stag in Copper.Copper up against the German Silver. Wire Damascus blade.

Gary
January 24, 2018 06:00PM
I just meant while spinning if you had an insert to keep from flexing . I'd think it would take a good amount of pressure to get that warm enough to move around . It forsure would look great with horn to adorne .
Looks like a good size hunter #4 blade too !

Thanks
Kurt
January 24, 2018 09:32PM
No. It's hollow inside while being spun.

It's a super secret. Learned from Alien Test books, in bed, at 2-3am, in the 70s-90s
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021