Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spent most of Saturday...

Spent most of Saturday...
April 22, 2018 04:24PM
Working on this Damascus Balisong.

IMG_1073.JPG

This is actually my first Balisong.

I have checked and rechecked my work. You want a bad day ... drill a hole in the wrong place after you have about 50 hours of work in something.

I haven't yet ... but I came darned close yesterday.

Wish me luck.

Gary
Re: Spent most of Saturday...
April 22, 2018 09:54PM
Gary,

Check twice, drill once! Hope you got it drilled in the right location, I am sure you did!

I had to look up what a Balisong was. Never heard that term before. Butterfly knife, that I know!

Looking forward to seeing you come up for your first one.

Pedro
April 22, 2018 11:02PM
Thanks Pedro,

You know how it works to build complicated things.

Hey, have you found this yet? When I was very young, I'd make go carts and Heaven knows what ... with "found items". I could need a piece of mild steel four inches long, with a 1/2" hole in one end, and I'd find it. I once actually made a front end with king pins and sockets .... from an old bed frame!!! Even had right and left - top and bottom pieces (cast steel sockets which received the pipe long and cross frame pipes.

Then as a young machinist, I could go to the salvage yard and find just what I need. I still have and use, a huge heavy - 1 1/2 horse power 110v motor I gave $10 for about 40+ years ago. Weighs about 60 pounds. Love it. I'd find wheels. I'd find steel. Etc etc. stuff I designed worked.

Then, I've gotten older. And, heck I can't find what so laid down ten minutes ago. And, I check six times before I drill. Haha.

Gary
April 23, 2018 05:31PM
There is a reason I hoard many items. Usually sits around 3-4 years and I toss it, only to need it a few months later. Used parts, equipment are harder and harder to get. With so many metal recyclers about, good parts are often thrown out.

We do have a local collector of all things. Got a motor and gearbox from him for $40 cash. Recently saw a video of a hand pump mounted to a frame with slow turning gearbox/motor. Be a good way to fill an airgun unless I want the exercise!

It does seem things are easy to forget as we age. I think the real issue is our divided attention with technology. Addicted to our phones etc.

My dad made a “go kart” for us long ago. Never did to build many things growing up. My dad sold his shop to work for a previous employer who begged him to come back.

Pedro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 05:32PM by pedrog.
April 23, 2018 11:00AM
Looks like quite a project!
At first I was confused because I thought I saw 2 blades. But now I'm sure one of them is just a template. That makes more sense to me. Can't wait to see it finished. (I'm sure that's your favorite sentence to read these days....crazywink)

Scott
April 23, 2018 01:08PM
Hi Scott,

Yeah. I must say, I've found myself making the same comment. Haha.

laughing

Gary
April 23, 2018 11:01AM
Gary
That's a lot of engineering going on there . Those take a lot of abuse from what I see. I've actually never used one as designed or owned one . I'm sure I would need stitches .

There's nothing better than repurposing items . It's the way it should be .

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021