Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Required Repairs

Required Repairs
May 31, 2018 02:52PM
Most of the equipment in a shop will require regular maintenance. Some will suffer wear which actually eroded the steelfrom which it's made. The "Platen" plate on grinders it made from tough steel. The smooth side of belts run across it. The work being ground is pushed into the moving abrasive belts, backed by the platen plate. Amazingly, the smooth belt and the pressure ... erode the steel.

IMG_1867.JPG

I didn't take the first pic I should. The Near edge of the platen, was worn into a rounded groove. You note the arrow head groove across the platen. That's where steel has been worn away and it causes inaccuracies when grinding. Compensating in various ways works, but is annoying. Note the Near edge of the groove has here been welded back in, and surface grinding if the plate has begun.

IMG_1868.JPG

Much more grinding has taken place. That groove creates a moving pucker in the belt as it runs. And that causes the belt to wander around. Big problem for holding accuracy. For many jobs, I've been using a ground block to raise the contact point on the belt/platen to good areas. But that's another step and one that can move and fail.

IMG_1869.JPG

And finally after Near eternity, the flaws are gone. I've removed everything else to the depth of the groove, and the infilled welded in area is repaired.

IMG_1871.JPG

Bit of a pat on back moment. The patent is replaced in line with the top and bottom Bearing contact wheels, the adjustable table is replaced - by means of its pivot bolt .... AND, without any need for adjustment of any kind .... the repair is perfect. Not a speck of light shows between the square blade and the platen. Meaning the repair is true, and the adjust is perfect.

Amazing. The homemade grinder was disassembled and parts laid aside. Platen taken to lower shop for MIG welding of infill steel. Hand ground off the bulk of the extra steel applied. Set up in surface grinder. Ground to shape. Reassembled. Perfect.

Wish I got paid for this. That's about six hours of work. Manual operated surface grinder. My shoulder and lower back will tell you. But, these are the things that aren't scheduled in. Youjust have to do them to produce good work.

Thanks for reading!
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021