Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question

Question
June 25, 2018 11:45PM
Back Bench Extra Knife.

I’m thinking of blade finishing. There’s a big difference between a nice wheel belt brushed finish or a mirror ground and polish. It would make the difference of say .... $485 or $575.

Now question isn’t as simple as that. There’s some that way the $485 is enough to want the polish. But some just don’t care and some like the satin took. Some styles look great in satin. So I always go round about it.

It’s a lot just preference. But then, I’d like to survey buyers.

At any rate, I like hearing your opinions. I have a knife I’ve worked on in segments over the last four months or so.

Btw, we have another Grandson here. Very nice.

Hope you are doing well. I’m late in my injection cycle. I’ve put it off as much as possible. I’m a little beat up but functional. I enjoy a hail or a well wish.

Blessings
Gary
Re: Question
June 26, 2018 01:35AM
Gary,
I tend to prefer a satin finish.
I think it's less noticeable if/when I scratch the blade....

Scott
June 26, 2018 12:32PM
Thanks Scott,

Good point. It is hard to keep things “perfect”. You know, anything you wipe off likely contains grit. And even a paper towel can scratch a polished surface.

Gary
June 30, 2018 08:11PM
Gary
I usually go for the polished look myself . I think they looked more finished and are easier to clean and or see when fingerprints are wiped off ! I also really appreciate the effort to obtain the finish since I've NEVER been able to produce it myself ! Now if we're talkin etched/ Damascus steel it's not needed to be such a finish IMHO !

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021