Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Current State of VERNE Inspired BLADE. take a bow

Current State of VERNE Inspired BLADE. take a bow
July 02, 2018 12:56AM
379351E3-B9FD-4DEE-8226-AF1F42CA8A43.jpeg

More polishing in store, but YES ... the HAMON does show well! (Hamon - the demarcation line between various hardened areas of a differentially heat treated Blade). Has to be in the correct light and correct angle.

Gary
Re: Current State of VERNE Inspired BLADE. take a bow
July 02, 2018 07:37PM
Gary,

More polish! That blade all gleams!

Very hard to show all the different angle in a picture. I tried to sharpen wife's kitchen knives today. What a chore. Got relatively sharp but need better stones etc. Watched a few videos on it, the Japanese use 1000, to 6000 grit stones. Lots of polishing.

Got a few knives cutting paper easily, they were rather dull before that. Gives me a real appreciation for the work you do and what goes into a knife to make and keep it sharp! Like shaving CR steel rods!

Pedro
July 02, 2018 09:43PM
8650BE9E-449E-4FE8-B8FC-54CD12B0422C.jpeg

Kurt’s Damascus Blade ... ready to etch.

Gary
July 03, 2018 03:24AM
Verne blade very nice!! Will set well with the southwest blade. Don't really see the hamon line, but I am sure its there just hard to photograph. DO you individually engrave the Barnes logo or is it a stamp and clean up/ chase the lines? I am sure you posted something on this but cant really find it. The pictures keep building the excitement for the project. As do pictures for the dagger and Kurt's fixed blade knife.

So no new electrical storm stories? Hair standing on end,? Ball lightning in shop? Electric meter running backwards? Must be a quite week at the Barnes homestead. Keep posting we all enjoy the posts even if we do not reply.

Best

Gary L
July 04, 2018 12:45AM
Hi Gary,

Sorry for my late response.

I individually carve the Logo into the hard blade Gary. Turbine Rotary, Carbide tool. Done by hand and eye. The steps are in my memory. Most times it is not drawn first (the ink copy interferes with my overall visual scan of the area). They are each just slightly different. Some Steels and it Tool bits may require a second cutting. That separates the men from the boys.

Sure, I could get a stencil and burn it in. I like this.

If there are more questions in your post, I’ll come back.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021