Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Forge - Slow Progress

Forge - Slow Progress
July 08, 2018 03:31PM
Since I started with the small forge last fall I have been plagued with issues when it came to the burner. I wasn't getting the flame required and added a regulator. Might have been obvious to the experienced forge owners but learning as I go.

Spent a lot of time on Youtube University and learned what to do with the burner. I now have a nice flame but it was trial and error. From reading more I think it is to large a burner for this size forge. When I add compressed air I have no issue getting a really hot flame. But rather just use the propane flame.

Changed the gas port to a really small opening .010" which helped but still not the best flame. Went back to a welder tip 0.03" and worked better. Tried many things including opening up the top hole for the larger cast fitting as you need the venturi effect.

My conclusion from all this is that the burner is over sized for this small forge. That might be why I have such a large flame coming out. I think another option would be to cut a small hole on the opposite end to allow more flame to travel through.

IMG_6833.JPG
IMG_6834.JPG

I have to fix the little forge as drilling the larger hole for that casting cracked the refractory. Or I simply buy the bricks and make a decent rectangular forge. Will determine this soon.

Thanks for stopping by,

Pedro G.
Re: Forge - Slow Progress
July 08, 2018 04:46PM
Hi Pedro,

Hey, if I tell you ... will you remember to send me a care package when you become the heavy competitor?

Ok. I’ll take that as a yes

You need air. All forges, from the leaf and log hand pumps of Africa, have used forged air. You don’t need compressed air. Get a tiny leaf blower or small squirrel cage fan. Put a slide gate in line and an overflow cut out to take the restricted air. Rubber flap with a weight on it to tune back pressure on your blower.

Then stack another identical forge on the front of that line. Now twice the volume.

Put hole in back. That’s needed too. Relief for flame and also allows you to heat the middle of a six foot bar, etc.

Just put a slurry of the cement in cracks and joint between forge cans. Bet it will work.

Good Luck
Gary
July 08, 2018 05:34PM
Thanks for the tips, I will incorporate them and see how things go.I had thought of some type of blower, and only need a little air.

Don't worry, will not be competition. Still working out many details and might make some items for myself and friends. I do like the idea of making knives, but will see. To many other projects need to be completed first.

Thanks again,

Pedro
July 10, 2018 02:18AM
Pedro,

I'm with Gary, patch it up and use it as a learner. bet we still see it on the bench 10 years from now.

Don't "love it to death", start forging.

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021