Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Knife - 2 posting

First Knife - 2 posting
July 12, 2018 03:16AM
So did some scale profiling and worked on the blade geometry. Still not super sharp and may grind a little more angle on the blade. Blade is 2mm thick. Did all with files and a small desktop sander with one type of sandpaper. Eventually will buy more variety of grits and types for wood and steel.

C075C3DA-008C-492C-94A5-850ED7367F91.jpeg

I didn’t have high expectations so the results are what they are. Learned a few things, might be a good utility knife.

Scales are finished with Lin Seed oil.

Pedro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2018 12:55AM by pedrog.
Re: First Knife - 2
July 12, 2018 04:08AM
That’s a fine job Pedro,

Glad to see you tempered it.

Hint: epoxy breaks its bond at 200F and 200F won’t hurt the blade temper or hurt most Handle materials.

Yep, clamp the scales together and finish the front crossections before attaching.

When drawing the back blue, stop about 1 1/2” from the tip to preserve your blade’s tip edge hardness.

Make a wooden cradle to hold your household belt sander upside down. Then you can work on the flat platen and the front wheel. There are many grits and qualities of belt sander belts readily available. Most knife makers consider 60 grit to be the roughest starting belt.

Have fun. Bet you see knives in your windshield reflections while driving on holiday!

Gary
July 12, 2018 11:27PM
Ahh Pedro
So you made 2 at the same time ! One fer practice and one for real ? They both look great . I'm not much of a wood guy as in working with but that mahogany looks nice !
BTW I like the blade shape on the bottom of the picture . It looks very usable. Now you can make your own gifts too .

Thanks
Kurt
July 13, 2018 01:01AM
Sorry Kurt,

Was to be the 2nd posting of the first build. I didn't build two knives. I am in no way ready to make gifts. I need to practice more and work with good steel. I have to many other projects on the go and perhaps on the fall will try my hand at forging a blade from scratch.

Thanks for comments.

Pedro
Re: First Knife - 2 posting
July 13, 2018 12:56AM
I bought some better sanding belts today after work and ground a nicer bevel to the edge. I have the knife sharp but not razor sharp. Need to work on the angles and get better stones for it. A whole another task to learn.

EB4C5B8B-C168-48CE-9A5D-76488F726458.jpeg

It will be a utility knife. I don't know if the material that saw blades are made from lends itself to a high polish. But not going to waste time on this one, will start another after my holidays. Then do things a little bit better by executing things in their proper order.

Pedro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2018 12:59AM by pedrog.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021