Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What IS HE DOING!!?!??!!

What IS HE DOING!!?!??!!
August 21, 2018 09:40PM
Right this moment, a short rest for my back. I’ve been remaking parts on two lathes today.

“Why?” To get a tighter collective fit within the mechanism. There is a slight difference to making parts to specification .... or making parts which are “honed to fit.” By doing the latter, I’ll have a much better product.

You see, when you make parts to specification, you may have used the same process and same tooling ... but used it on different material lots ... different blade thickness ... maybe even did operations in a different order - months after you did the process last. Tiny differences begin a Conga-line of “tolerances”. The parts fit nicely ... but one “could have been” a thousandth larger diameter. Another “could have been” half a thousandth tighter. Another “may have had” more adjustment built into it. Cam larger?? Pin tighter??? The margins NEVER work in your favor. They add together toward something that I can “feel.” And then, it’s over. The steps are retraced and examined. Each individual is remanufactured. (Oh ... another thing ... parts are almost never too big ... and when they are a thousandth under ... the metal is gone. You start with fresh drill rod, bar stock, etc., and you make a duplicate which a pro could barely measure as being different.

And when I next put it together, I’ll bet it feels like a Barnes.

Gary

I know it’s frustrating to watch. Because in life mostly people get “leaned on”, “shamed” into performing. At least on TV. But this is my shop.

Smile.
Re: What IS HE DOING!!?!??!!
August 22, 2018 03:24PM
Gary,

Don't overdue it. Staying healthy is easier than recovery. At least it is for me, although no one would say I'm the poster child for health. LOL.

Karl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021