Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm just about ready to start taking custom bigbore orders...

I'm just about ready to start taking custom bigbore orders...
March 11, 2012 01:13AM
I bought a rotary table for my mini shop. Figured out pretty quick you need a chuck to attach to said table, otherwise you can only mill vertically with it. Went to one of my favorite machining supply websites and saw the perfect little chuck, so I purchased it.

Maybe I've been hanging around with Gary too long but the chuck arrived and wasn't the front mounting type pictured. A call to the supplier brought the response, "No, it's not the one pictured. The one you bought is described at the bottom of the webpage in fine print, bellow all of the pictures of a completely different chuck", or something like that. Well, I was a little hot, so it was agreed I would get a free adapter plate but , "it needs a little fitting".

It was a great learning experience with a happy ending. I was able to locate and drill 3 countersunk holes to change a 3 bolt mounting pattern to a 4 bolt mounting pattern. Imagine my surprise when they lined up correctly.laughing

It would have been perfect but it seems there is a little problem with the size of the t-nuts I ordered to attach the adapted chuck to the rotary table, but it's minor compared to the other headache.

P.S. I also had to turn down the boss in the center of the plate to an MT1 taper to fit into the center of the chuck. You can see how large it was by looking at the marks from machining it down.
PltDone.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2012 01:23AM by Bigbore.
Re: I'm just about ready to start taking custom bigbore orders...
March 11, 2012 09:01AM
See, you're already following in Garys footsteps by having to fix everything first just so you can get started.winking smiley
March 11, 2012 07:17PM
Did you just egg out those holes with a step drill Lon? wink Wink Wink.

Looks good. It is, indeed, a LOT of work in order to get to the point where you CAN work. Some never achieve that! haha. You are doing very well.

You let me know when you are ready to accept some orders. Only thing you need now, is a good shop coat with your name on it!

Good looking stuff ..

Gary
March 24, 2012 03:28PM
Yep, I'd like to know too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021