Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spent much of the day ....

Spent much of the day ....
October 02, 2018 04:42PM
Engraving/Carving the Balisong. I was requested to design a theme for the carving based upon the owner’s Rock Climbing and Martial Arts interest.

D8875014-9EE8-416B-BD6D-89B212511E85.jpeg

Designed as a Futuristic Antique Artifact. Ha. Based upon Mayan, Aztec, Inca ... Stone Carvings.

Thanks,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2018 12:38AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Spent much of the day ....
October 03, 2018 12:45AM
Spent another couple of hours on it.

I like it.

Later in the day .... after a couple bouts with headache and sore wrist (ahhhh ... commonnnn), I did a bit more work on .....

7C94AF03-3344-4F6C-B417-AD06E7F8E17E.jpeg

I really like these. Hope you do too.

Now, tell me ... are you liking them plain, or do you see them as blank canvases? Cause ... we gots ta stuff!!!

Gary
October 04, 2018 01:21PM
Very nice work on both knives . I do like the wood for sure . I'm not sure if Ive EVER SEEN an all wood body folder before . This time of the year ( deer season) I alway want to carry my ALL antler body knife .

I'm sure whatever you do to it...it will sell .

I'll have to find a pic of my folding antler body knife to post . ''Tis the season ya know.

Thanks
Kurt
October 04, 2018 03:59PM
Thanks Kurt,

Sure thing. Post your knife. I can find it later.

I had to bow out today. On top of all the regular fun, I got a horrible sinus cold. That broke the camel’s back. Pressure and Headache. Disgusting nose. But I’ll beat it back quickly.

Yeah ... the blades on these knives run stabalized by hard brass washers I die punch. That’s plenty of engineered strength for a lifetime. My knife like this has about 30 years on it. I’ll carry it hard, then make a fancier Knife - lay this back. Then sell the better knife, go back to my Faux Pas. Over and over. Mine is a Maple Handle with some simple relief carving of leaves and branches. My pocket has worn off half the carving. Knife is fine. I’ve bought antique folders with the blades worn completely down to a nub. And those knife blades pivoted in a small 1/16 or 3/32 brass or nickel pin. The custom knife trade is like all other things ... the participants feel the need to escalate, escalate, escalate ... until blades pivot in one inch grade 7 bolts. Cause it’s a selling point. Not cause it’s needed. These knives are blood and guts tools.

And later ....,,,

A nap helped and I got back in the shop for the afternoon shift! Yayy

Best
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2018 10:59PM by barnespneumatic.
October 07, 2018 04:01PM
Gary,

Glad you felt better in the afternoon. I've been praying for you.

Karl
October 07, 2018 08:50PM
Well it took a minute but I have the pics Gary posted when he made this prototype. What a joy of a knife to hold and fiddle with . I wish you'all could hear the detent when it locks open into place . It's a very loud snap and super solid . I love the way the blade IS part of the antler handle . The curve of the blade fits the arc in the antler perfectly and it just feels like a real great all around user . Thanks for the chance to own it Gary ! I'm lucky forsure.

Thanks
Kurt
IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2205.JPG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021