Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bison at N.C. auction...

Bison at N.C. auction...
March 20, 2012 04:57AM
Am I bidiing against one of us?

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2012 04:57AM by Bigbore.
Re: Bison at N.C. auction...
March 20, 2012 12:01PM
Not me. You did catch my comments regarding this, correct?
March 20, 2012 01:01PM
Gary,

Yes. I'm just trying to scavenge the parts.

If I get it, you'll get it. injured

Lon
March 20, 2012 02:19PM
Hi Lon:

Not me.

If you win, how are you gonna get it down to Miami? Will they ship? "festive"

-- Jim
March 21, 2012 04:53AM
thumbs up OK, I may run it up some more.

Yes they ship but I have a better plan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 04:59AM by Bigbore.
March 20, 2012 07:35PM
Oh goodie. I was looking for a little project to fill the hours.

Just remember that the warranty was voided a looong time ago. There are "unknown unknowns" aplenty.

Gary
March 21, 2012 05:04AM
Gary,

"Oh goodie. I was looking for a little project to fill the hours"

I'm patient, take all week if you have to.laughing

Lon
March 21, 2012 03:08PM
Just to avoid having multiple people want to kill me on sight; I have not told Lon (or anybody else) that I'll commit to restoring this thing. I haven't seen it. I'd never be dumb enough to estimate a cost without examining it. That would involve disassembling it. Which would mean it would have to be here - and ... I don't want anything else just sitting here waiting.

So; if anyone buys this ... they'd sit on it until a time I was able to, receive it ... disassemble it, and estimate a cost to restore it. And don't assume it would be cheap.

I don't want to get into a position where I have one more thing obligating me to sleep less and work more. This is the first Bison. Since most people want to hang then on the wall anyway ... that might be a great use for this pc. nowthatIthink

Gary
March 21, 2012 06:22PM
Darn, you won't put your life on hold and sweep away everyone else who has been waiting patiently for me?

CryBaby.jpg
March 20, 2012 08:39PM
No competition from me. Good luck with the bid and the aftermath. Hey, if Gary is too busy or heartbroken to see it, you might checkout that "American Restoration" or some such on discovery. Looks like they do good work. I wonder if you are chosen for the show if they help out on the restore cost. Heck you could act as an historian on this "first Barnes Bison" rebuild.

Way off topic, anyone know of any Irish following on this site?

Kent
March 20, 2012 09:48PM
Hi Kent.
Dyson Diver is in Ireland Kent.
I started to just sign up to follow the auction. The required legal agreement went on endlessly with requirements, obligations, and made me feel like I would get ten years just for hitting AGREE.
What a world has been woven ....
Gary
March 20, 2012 10:28PM
Not me Lon. If you win, I hope you're not too disappointed in what was done to a great gun. It's just amazing to me that a guy would take a custom built beaty and pour acid all over it...
March 21, 2012 05:00AM
OK.

I have a pretty good idea of whats been done. I'm not going to run it up too high.

Lon
March 21, 2012 05:03AM
Kent,

Checked you off the list.

There is another gun shop that does restorations if Gary is too busy.
Pink.JPG

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 05:05AM by Bigbore.
March 21, 2012 03:00PM
There ya go - let them do it. They can weld it to a boat trailer for you.

I yield to a better shop ...

Gary
March 21, 2012 05:05PM
I think Lon is just jealous that your website doesn't feature more....ahem...floatation devices.more innocent

Hey, whoever wins it could just send it down to the jokers at the Red Jacket gun shop in Lousiana, as featured on that TV program "Sons of Guns". They could make an entire episode of arguing about who gets the credit for taking it apart and putting it back together with just a few parts leftover.eye rolling smiley

By the time they were done "restoring" it, it would "updated" to include random parts from some Russian machinegun, another couple of pieces that it took two days to machine in their CNC milling center than none of them really know how to use, and at the end of the show there'd be a trip to a scrapyard or a shooting range featuring a big explosion. Then they'd hand it off to some camera-struck buffoon who'd ooh and ahh about how happy he was to own some of their work and they'd gloss over the fact that they'd converted it into a something that the BATF now classifies as a destructive device that takes a $200 tax stamp for every round of ammunition and five pounds of federal permits to own.

I recently watched a show featuring their attempts to re-create a Gatling gun that could fire shotgun ammo. After running down the clock to an artificially imposed deadline, several vituperative arguments, a box full of muttered threats and ultimatums, and several trips from the CNC tech rep they finally made a "working example"...that blew up after one shot. They concluded the episode by literally welding together five Saiga shotguns with the magazines sticking out like a porcupine, set up to whirl madly and fire in turn while spun by a drill motor. It was the biggest P.O.S. I've ever seen passed off as a firearm (which is saying a lot), yet the redneck moron who bought it from them was practically giddy with delight to own it.
March 21, 2012 06:08PM
Sean,
I think you have a poor attitude dude!
LOL
Gary
March 21, 2012 06:17PM
Sean,

"yet the redneck moron who bought it from them was practically giddy with delight to own it. "

Of course he was. The episode we all want to see is when the customer picks up one of there guns and says something like, "You're kidding, right?"

Lon
March 21, 2012 06:24PM
"There ya go - let them do it. They can weld it to a boat trailer for you. "

As long as I get to watch.more innocent

Lon
March 25, 2012 06:48PM
So, who got the guns?
March 25, 2012 07:30PM
I just heard there was also an outside lock sold. Our buyer was oddly UNABLE to raise his bid so lost it.

I hope the owner gets the word that it's an 800 PSI gun ... before he ruins the firing mechanism with 3,000 psi.

The air cane is the same. 800 psi.

Gary
March 28, 2012 01:35AM
I did some bidding and may have gotten a gun or two, but this auction was screwed up. I won't be confident I won anything until I see the package on my table. I spoke to someone at the auction house today and she claimed the problem was that "the estate" wanted everything done in one day, so they had to move quickly. They seem to realize that they were moving too fast and they lost money because of it.
I'll post pictures when I have something to take a picture of....
March 28, 2012 02:35AM
I suspect it was a difficult task, but ... ya gotta find a way if you are gonna do online auctions.

Now, I had no idea the outside lock was even in the auction. I had used their search function for "Barnes" and just gotten the previously mentioned 3.

Hey, can't imagine my stuff wasn't in Sotheby's anyway ... whistling .... laughing ... Haha.

I'd love to do an auction once or twice a year. It would give me incentive to purchase a gun or few that come across my desk. I could go through and certify them in advance. However; (you knew that was coming) I tried it before. People didn't want to bid against each other and agreed privately on who'd get which. Was a bust for me. Now, we did do a charity auction for our friend who was quite I'll. That went well and every penny went to him.

But, I'm not sure a model could be devised to work for me. I could definitely run it, but I'm not sure you guys are mean enough. excited. We'd be talkin' about yo Mama's 5 am door buster sale at Target kinda mean ... ! Haha

Gary
March 25, 2012 07:40PM
I don't know who got them, but I do know one guy who didn't get one.

My experience was that the company that held the auction was incompetent at conducting the online portion.

Lon
March 25, 2012 07:55PM
I bid on the outside lock (online through AuctionZip.com), and in the bid history for the lot, I am shown as the high bidder (I actually have the two highest bids in the bid history). However, the "winning bid" is a lower bid amount from someone actually present (on the "floor"). I emailed the auction company to ask how that was even was possible, and never received an answer. I was willing to bid higher than the ultimate winning bid.

If I were the estate, I'd be furious that the auction was so Mickey Mouse that it didn't maximize the potential winning bid for each item by allowing online bids to fairly compete with bidders present. It was one of the most poorly run live auctions I have ever seen.

-- Jim
April 03, 2012 11:27PM
Jim,

What were the winning bids?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021