Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question... (AND ... A Great Knife Find)

Question... (AND ... A Great Knife Find)
November 06, 2018 10:36PM
I’ve been making parts all day.

I also renewed some notes I needed. Someone ordered a Copper Cuff off the Barnes Pneumatic Website. I needed to refresh my technique settings. So I made sure that doesn’t happen again.

B6612DA7-7333-44AE-8DD9-77BF4BDE7A4A.jpeg

Is anyone interested in a Molan Labe Copper Cuff or a Skeleton Chase Cuff while I have everything set up? The raw Copper Cuffs are $65 plus $7.00 shipping. Let me know plz.

Boy, this Daylight Savings Gloom about 4:30 is the pits. Can’t we plz pull the plug on this now? It’s already depressing enough when Winter makes darkness fall earlier. Then we decide to twist the knife with Daylight Savings .... ahhhhh .... ya got meeee....

Just saying hello. Checking in.

Best to All
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2018 02:24PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Question...
November 08, 2018 12:55AM
Yesterday and today/tomorrow are particularly bad as it is a new moon. Nightfall is quick. But it is great in the AM. Take my dog out and have a nice walk at 6:15. I thought that you being south might have a slightly later night fall. Its totally dark up here by 5:45 today. If it gets overcast even sooner. But morning sunrises are spectacular. The glow over the horizon and the rise over the hills is great to watch.
Glad to hear that you are feeling better (or having a lower level of pain)

Gary L
November 09, 2018 02:19PM
Hi Gary,

I think Sunset was 4:41 here yesterday. That’s just waaaaay too early. Somebody oughtah fix that. Ha. On top of it, we haven’t actual seen the sun for quite a while. We’ve been docked in. All day, in the shop; I’ve had the feeling that I was working at night. You see a window and it’s like dusk all day.

I’m glad you have some hills to look across. That’s a good feeling.

Thanks Much,
Gary
November 08, 2018 02:21PM
Hi Gary, I tried emailing you through your website but it says your mailbox is full. I wanted to say your creations are incredible! I was wondering if I could bother you briefly about this knife that my father left to me that appears to be one of your creations. It is very unique with this sort of etched or carved handles of dragons that look like possibly Lucite or something. Anyway it has your initials it seems also in the engraving with 90 at the end of it which I am guessing dates the knife to 1990? Anyway any info or memory of the piece that I can have to go with it would be greatly appreciated. I am not asking for a value or appraisal just any info about it I think would be very cool.

Thanks again,
Alex
IMG_5266 (850x567).jpg
November 08, 2018 02:43PM
Hello Alex,

Welcome!

Thanks for posting.

That is mine - yes. If you look into the clean case (blade slot) - note engraving on the walls before the knife was assembled. It will give you the serial number and exact day date. 1990 sounds right. I made a short series of about 4 of these. Some type of Acrylic. I do not know the exact analysis. It’s reverse carved, by hand held rotary tools. One off original art. Laid over anodized Titanium. Flip Open Liner Lock Mechanism. Stainless liners. 440-C Blade. Differentially heat treated. Probably ancient Ivory spacer at the rear of the folder.

I’m glad you have it. Really glad you have a connection to your Dad there. That was probably about $750 when new.

Welcome to the Rendezvous forum.
Gary
November 08, 2018 02:56PM
BTW ... can’t tell the size. One was considerably larger. About 4 3/4” closed. That one would have been about $1,250 new. Smallest was about 2 3/4” closed.

Best
Gary
November 12, 2018 04:12PM
Didn't notice this part of the post, its actually 5.25" closed smiling smiley Its a biggin'
November 12, 2018 05:11PM
Hi Alex,

Ahhh ... you hit the Lottery. That’s the largest made of the series. Good Job.

Best,
Gary
November 08, 2018 02:51PM
Much appreciated smiling smiley Yes it does appear to have an ivory looking spacer across the back. Yep I see it now a serial number and 11-08-90 for date of making, that is amazing it was exactly 28 years ago today you made it, lol.
November 08, 2018 03:00PM
Hi Alex..,

OK ... now you are kinda mess’n With me ... the date???? That’s just too odd. Wow.

Gary
November 08, 2018 03:10PM
Ok seriously, what are the odds? I had no idea that serial number and date was inside there, its so hard to see without a flashlight, lol.
IMG_5405 (840x560).jpg
IMG_5404 (850x567).jpg
IMG_5397 (770x513).jpg
November 08, 2018 04:33PM
Great pics. Can see the type of carving there very well.

Great Thread. I really enjoy these.

Thanks Alex
Gary
Re: Question... (AND ... A Great Knife Find)
November 09, 2018 05:28PM
Gary Alex ,
That is one sweetheart of a knife . The details are incredible. Of course that is a very good memory to get from your dad too Alex. I for certain can tell you from experience that not only does that in life look good but I can guarantee it would hold up against any knife you've ever had. I've noticed Gary likes the dragon too . I've got one engraved in the Damascus blade ( M 97) of my everyday carrying knife !
Good score .

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021