Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Compatibility Questions - phone, router, range extender, WiFi, blue tooth why me

Compatibility Questions - phone, router, range extender, WiFi, blue tooth why me
December 29, 2018 05:42PM
I am/was sooo pleased to get my cracked up phone replaced by my insurance. It had fallen smack, face down, on concrete - and just severely shattered the screen. However ... it was all in place. I gently and oh so carefully took an index card, and placed it over the screen. I pushed it all back down into place. Then laminated it with heavy clear packing tape. It worked!!! I’ve used it for about a year that way.

Well, I finally paid for a replacement phone. We did the restore yesterday. It worked!!! And, of course, the new, new phone had to upgrade first. And, during the restore, it would shut off and lock every few minutes ... in case I might see what I was doing.

Well, we got thru.

For company in the shop, I use a range extender to pull WiFi from the house, and use IHeart Radio. I had previously used a cat5e cable from the house modem. But, during lightening storms I lost several routers. Larry in Asia nailed the cause. Two buildings, each with individual grounds ... with a cable between them ... set up a condition where the framistan co-mingled with the doohinky. Ummmm ... near as I recall. So I went wireless.

BUT the new phone is freaking out the Bluetooth in the shop. My Wireless WiFi Range Extender (bout 5 years old) broadcasts to my phone. My phone’s Bluetooth broadcasts to either my remote Bluetooth speaker block or my Bluetooth Headset. NOW ...the speaker block just keeps pausing - constantly - like its translating from Mandarin before passing on the paragraph of text. It never gets straightened out. Occasionally it cuts off the program altogether. My Bluetooth Headset is much better - but it still happens.

I assume iHeartRadio is constantly keeping itself current. I can’t find any way to upgrade it. I thought about dumping my version and reloading the Ap ...but feared getting into the Paradox where you can’t prove you are you, because someone else (you) already says they are you. Ahhhhhhh.......!

So; my phone is the same model - just running a couple updates newer. So; the fact that they’ve now added the handy handy ability to detect if anyone in my address book is currently picking their nose (a mere 3.6 gig upgrade) ... means my stuff won’t play nice nice anymore.

Any help?

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2018 05:52PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Compatibility Questions - phone, router, range extender, WiFi, blue tooth why me
December 30, 2018 01:39AM
Gary,

Is the new phone in "airplane mode"?

Lon
Re: Compatibility Questions - phone, router, range extender, WiFi, blue tooth why me
December 30, 2018 02:10AM
Thank you Lon,

No. It is not.

But I just thought ... it is nagging to “Finish setting up the phone”, but it’s because I took the options and bypassed setting up it's features I do not care to use. I don’t want to use the darned thumbprint to unlock the phone forty times a day. I don’t want to use “Wallet”. I don’t want to use “Apple Pay”. I’d love to use the phone for a phone. For texting. For pictures. Fir the Firum. For the net. And, just stop developing endless gimmicks designed to harvest information, and then insisting I use it. As well as upgrade weekly or suffer the endless nagging to upgrade.

But I wonder if there may be a pony buried in the barn full of pony .... ?

Can you foresee anything that may be relevant Lon? I’ll check again too ....

Thanks,
Gary

You understand, Bluetooth works but it plays for a minute and cuts out. Then struggles to hook up again. Plays a bit and quits. Over and over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 03:48AM by barnespneumatic.
December 30, 2018 03:57AM
Checked again.

Siri, Touch ID, Wallet, Apple Pay.

I’m such a disappointment - hah

Still don’t see a Bluetooth conflict
December 30, 2018 01:56PM
Gary
You know I'm NOT a big help with these things but have you checked the plugs/ connection on speakers / head set ? Also maybe try moving closer to the booster and see if it stays connected. Maybe the speaker and headset are not playing well together. Try unhooking / turning off one or the the other ...

Thanks
Kurt
December 30, 2018 05:48PM
Thanks Kurt,

Much Appreciated. Yes.

My thoughts run to sorting out the difference between my old identical phone and this new one with its mandatory OS upgrade. My old one was only back a couple upgrades. Heck ... what’s that ... a few months? But I wanted to introduce the new one into the identical loop that the old one vacated. It worked. Now this one is intermittent. But this one did the Vulcan mind meld with the old one and BECAME the old one. Even running the old SIM card.

But now the new one takes a long time to grab the WiFi here. Takes a long time to send a text. Takes a long time to hook up to iheart and to load a station. Then it continually pauses and takes some time to then continue. Speaking in Diggie terms ... it’s like everything is giving the new phone a real good sniff over before accepting it. Then having second thoughts. Then sniffing again. It’s frustrating

Gary
December 31, 2018 02:54PM
Gary,

There are a number of things that could cause the problems you’ve experienced. They are:

Your phone is too far away from your Bluetooth devices.
There are large metal object between the phone and the Bluetooth device.
There is some other device interfering with the Bluetooth signal.
The Bluetooth devices are competing for the signal. Only have one Bluetooth device powered on at a time.
There is interference with your WiFi bridge (large metal objects, microwave oven, lots of crosstalk from your neighbors WiFi, etc).
Poor quality internet access.

Try the following:

You can try turning off other devices when not in use.
Keep your phone near the Bluetooth device.
Change the frequency (channel) your WiFi uses.
Check your internet speed from your house and across your WiFi bridge.

Hope that helps,

Keith
December 31, 2018 08:46PM
Hi Keith

Thanks very much. I appreciate the expertise.

The variables are all unchanged from those of the last 6-8 months. The only new factor is my duplicate identical phone.

I use the practices you recommend. Thank you.

Today I’ve been isolating the idea that perhaps my range extender has been failing for a while now. Become intermittent - is that possible? I realize that any input being used in the shop comes first thru this range extender. Next comes the phone, then the Bluetooth speaker block or headset. I’ve had quite a lot of WiFi dropping out for weeks. I go get a better bead on the extender, and then pick up the network again. But, in ten to thirty minutes ... it drops again.

I haven’t really thought it through until today ... but ... if the rangefinder finds the network and passes it on ... and nothing moves ... then seems it should be consistent. I also realize that I perhaps “could” split the distance between the house and the shop. I’ve had the extender in the shop. That makes the first leg very long and the second very short. I could try a unit under cover along the lane between house and shop. Maybe a bit closer to shop than house ... I’m aware it needs a line of sight and I’ve provided that. I’m not certain of the power ratings. Some units will tell a “square footage” but others do not. Of course... I’m using it in a linear fashion. The only clear graduation is price. Some have exterior antenna and others not.

Thank you once again. Guess my question would be ... are these known to fail in an intermittent fashion?

Gary
December 31, 2018 09:50PM
Gary
Did you turn your old phone OFF and try it that way ?

Thanks
Kurt
January 02, 2019 01:46AM
Gary,

I just finished working Sat. - Tue. 12 hour shifts everyday so I don't spend time on the Internet during those crunch weeks other than to check email.

The scenario you gave was, the only thing that changed was the phone, all was working fine until then. New equipment is almost always backward compatible, especially things like the Bluetooth and Ethernet standards. My first guess was a phone setting and my thinking was the phone was not linked, and the devices were picking up a weak signal from the house. The quick fix is to delete the devices, especially any that are no longer used, then add and relink.

If that doesn't work, drop the new phone face down on the concrete to shatter the glass, slip a card underneath it to keep the glass intact while lifting and use a wide piece of clear tape to hold it together. I've been told this will work.

A happy, healthy and safe new year to all.

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2019 01:48AM by Bigbore.
January 02, 2019 03:49AM
Hi Lon,

What kind of card? Color? Weight? Pattern? Details man ... it’s 2019 for pity sake.

Wink
Gary
January 02, 2019 12:50PM
I want you to know that am applying all of the information you have shared with me. It’s appreciated.

Online, I’ve found that lots of questions have been asked regarding iPhones running is 12.1.2 They are exhibiting many of the issues that I’m chasing.

Thanks All. Please continue

Gary
January 09, 2019 09:17PM
BTW ... FOUND A FIX ...!

I kept beating my head on it when it would shut down Text, Music, Phone, WiFi, Internet.

I decided it just had to be the main input to the shop. I found an ADMIN area to restore Factory Settings to my Range Extender. Then I reset the Password for the Extender. Cured.

It’s as if the thing just had its panties in a wad over my new phone. It just was NOT supposed to be talking to THAT THING!!!! But when I reset its Password with this phone,well ... what cha gonna do????

Don’t know if will ever help you but I thought I’d Close the Loop.

Best
Gary
January 10, 2019 01:46AM
Gary,

I don't know what kind of range extender you have but my guess would be that it "re-paired" to the new device.

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021