Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CASTING this EVENING mic'd. Ready to Test

CASTING this EVENING mic'd. Ready to Test
January 03, 2019 04:26AM
The slugs turned out perfectly. 265 grains and 365 grains. For the 50 Caliber Smoothy. Could even make a nice 50 smoothy Carbine or Pistol. Many options.

The slugs are full and clean.

47CC36FA-9103-4BB9-8F42-DF38F0230BA0.jpeg

EA6DB6A4-2B14-466F-A8FE-2E5D1691E4A7.jpeg

E57497EB-C403-4962-A9AA-8BF2368D24B0.jpeg

Now I’ll finish a sizing set.

You see how much work that goes into things that just lay in a desk. Perhaps get lost. Never get above room temperature after leaving Barnes. This is Mold number 158. I’ll try to throw some of these down range and show you.

Thks for reading

Gary
Re: CASTING this EVENING mic'd. Ready to Test
January 03, 2019 06:00PM
Gary,
Looks like you will have some results soon! Is that the same mold you provided with the rifle or a mold you made recently? Will be interesting to see the results.

Love to get back to my 308 build but that will be delayed awhile.

Hope your days are going well.

Pedro
January 03, 2019 06:45PM
Thank you Pedro,

You have my most sincere thoughts.

Regarding your questions; I retained the original Cherry Cutter for the Mold. The original Mold and original Sizing Die set didn’t transfer. But I could reproduce both with the original Barnes machine cutter which made the Original. The Slugs are very very close to the original. The only original slugs I’ve seen which came with the gun, were cast cold and were very poorly formed. I had my notes as well.

I’ve now reproduced all.

Here we go ...

Best Pedro,
Gary
January 03, 2019 06:39PM
I have the Sizing Die and ram ready. So, I now have now replaced a mold for two slugs and a Sizing Die set. I can Field Test the Airgun. Alright!

AD422656-336E-4849-8BB4-3DED62A3BFDD.jpeg

Gary
January 03, 2019 08:20PM
Gary,

I can’t wait to see wat she can do with the new ammo,

Brian
January 03, 2019 10:58PM
Worked great Brian.

A nice post in a couple of hours. I had a great range session!!!

Yayyyy

Gary
January 12, 2019 05:30AM
BTW ... there is room on the Smoothy Die for one more Slug Cavity. This afternoon during a break ... I looked at my cutters. I think I have components to make a light 50 Smoothy and show the Velocity that’s in this gun. Will be an interesting demonstration

Gary
January 12, 2019 12:41PM
Hi guys
You know there is a very satisfactory feeling when your able to pour & size your own ammo . Before I met you Gary I was a plinker ( .177, .20, .22 ) using only the lead offered off the shelf. NOW that I'm a banger (.50 ) Outryder I really enjoy the whole process especially when I can harvest my own fast food !

Now I'm like a lot of you'all and haven't been enjoying my most favorite pastime in the past couple of years. This year last year I only got to shoot on a few special occasions but this year I will definitely make time to recycle some lead through the end of my Barrels ! I can't wait to see how your new smoothies will launch !

Thanks
Kurt
January 17, 2019 08:51PM
Hi guys,

Talking about casting... i’m also starting to cast with a barnes mould... just waiting to get the lead sunday, very exited to test that bishop...
Ps do i also have to size the bullets after casting?
Greets from Belgium, Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2019 09:17PM by BrianBelgium.
794B86D2-EDA7-4838-99C0-925296A620AE.jpeg
January 17, 2019 09:27PM
Great!!!

Thanks Brian.

I hope it casts well. Cast it with the lead at 800-850F. Put just a bit of Tin in it if you can. Most pits are about 20 pounds of lead. I add a chunk of Pure Tin about 3/8” thick by 5/8” wide by about 1/2” long per Pot (per 20 pounds). It just makes the lead fill out the Slugs right to the mold cavity walls I’ve found.

Use a candle to touch to the underside of the Sprue Plate and it’s pivot ... and to the alignment pins of the mold. Do thus about every 10 slugs or (throws of the mold - Cycles of the mold). DO NOT flood the wax into the cavities. It will make the next cast mold develop a texture with “fish eyes” (pockmarks).

Your Bishop WC should weigh about 280 grains.

Set your pour spout for FAST. Careful now .... but I preheat my mold by playing the frame of a small hand held torch over it. Don’t melt it now. It’s just to Bring it up to about 650F or close to that to start. My small hand held torch is MAPP has but a Propane should do. The kind you push the trigger button to ignite. DO NOT USE an Acetylene torch - that’s too hot and forceful.

Once the slugs are flowing well, they should cast with a bit of the “Whiskers” from the Mold Vents cast with each slug. Just shear those off with your thumbnail later.

Enjoy casting! Size them by pushing the ram against the flat end of the slug. I think you’ll size to 451.5”

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021