Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flipper - Liner Lock - Back to the Future scholar

Flipper - Liner Lock - Back to the Future scholar
June 27, 2019 12:54PM
9F4C9947-2209-44F2-B32E-FE470D83CEDA.jpeg

In the early 80’s, I began to make Liner Lock Folding Knives. Mine had the unique feature of a blade extension by which you could “Flip” the blade from its seated closed position, to locked open position. My extension extended forward of the knife when closed. Over the following decades, I made probably 400-500 of these - all sizes and shapes. Plain and Ornate. (Shown is Kelly’s Knife).

Several years back ... somebody moved the little extension from the front, to the top. And, the world followed.

I thought maybe I’d make one for you. 7597B5E6-BD58-4355-AF55-7E47FBB6A5C8.jpeg

8CBF71C8-5537-4EB1-A5B7-77691FCDF7E7.jpeg

Hoped you’d like to see the interior. Since it’s not a private design, I give you ....

Thanks for Reading
Gary
Re: Flipper - Liner Lock - Back to the Future scholar
June 27, 2019 03:25PM
Gary,

This is a very popular style and these specifications--liner lock, lever on the side-- are my personal favorites. The open assist lever on the end looks like it would eventually open up a hole in a pocket, something I've experienced so I'm wary of those shapes.

Scales?

I'm looking forward to this build.

Lon
June 28, 2019 04:58PM
That’s a sweet knife forsure.
I’ve got a pretty fancy one myself! I don’t carry it but it’s # 1002 and I think I’ve only cut my self once with it it’s Sooooooo sharp ! It’s extremely decorated inside and out . Sorry for the bad pictures.
I can’t wait to see your new style!

Thanks
Kurt
E13F7574-F98C-4057-99AD-F7EA6A18A7D9.jpeg
1F4DC58B-BF31-4141-A263-CC309AF08153.jpeg
544E40B9-FBA3-4B44-ADEB-C5AF29103E8D.jpeg
June 28, 2019 05:57PM
Thanks Kurt,

I appreciate you taking the time.

Can you believe that my serial number folder has gotten lost in the office?!!!! Maddening. Been mislaid for years now. I know I had it here. I still have boxes of stuff from moving the office. But to have had it and then lost it here drives me nuts. Kelly can find an old Cheerio from when the kids were 3, but she can’t find it either.

So I can’t look up when I started making these like yours. I want to say around 83. They worked sweet. I know Scott has one. A bunch went to Japan. An Brush Calligraphy artist there, who had a Concert Pianist wife, bought a lot of my work. As well as a Swiss Gentleman who owned Nestles Corp. He has passed and his collection sold. So things like that are why you have that one. I really think that went to Japan when I made it.

Enjoy.
Gary
June 28, 2019 07:19PM
That’s a bummer loosing that stuff . It has to show up sometime. IIRC the date was 1/12/90 on number 1002 . It has fine jewel work inside along with file work on both front and back . It also has the emblems / coined badges on both sides which are birds of some kind with a long bill .They are a left hand and right hand view of the same bird. Veeeery beautiful & elegant . It has a red velvet slip case like Miss Kelly’s also . I was lucky finding it in that pawn shop in Japan ! knucklehead( kidding of course)

Ps: You can’t buy these at the jewelry store!

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2019 07:42PM by kurt wag.
C91C26C3-4331-40B1-A0B2-5BE6405684AC.jpeg
CA495D87-8277-42C8-B62D-1497F794A060.jpeg
June 29, 2019 02:18PM
Hi Kurt,

The escutcheon plates are Sterling Silver and are Birds of Paradise. I’m glad you like them. I really do suspect that went to Japan. The culture values perfectly executed simple things. The Artist ... Shoji Fukuda did a Brush Painting of one of the Japanese letters/symbols. Envision ink on handmade paper. Something that looks like a Rosebush Trellis etc. Obviously, you get one shot at it. It’s done quickly. The strokes are key. The duration of the stroke. The wispy ending of the strokes, as the brush breaks contact with the paper. Things you must be taught to appreciate. Those were the things which endeared Mr. Fukuda’s work to a nation. When I designed this Die, I chose a simple subject. One of the hundred types of grass with one of the hundreds types of paradise Birds. The background of the design is an ultra fine Florentine crosshatching.

The scale material is a Malachite/Azurite. I’m hardly a Geologist, but I’ve understood that the two stones are found in nature, blended and fused.

The interior work you refer to is called “Engine Turning”. Such as that seen inside watches, etc.

Your blade is 440-C. I see that your rear spacer is Mammoth Tusk.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2019 02:21PM by barnespneumatic.
June 29, 2019 10:13PM
I’ve had a bunch of Jewelry stuff to get set up. Once this gets established, we hope it will be one of those types of things that work behind the scenes. Setting up contacts, procedures, fixtures, inventory, has been an effort with a future hopeful payoff.

THIS FLIPPER DESIGN is something that I’ve been documenting and making some tooling for. By putting the lever atop, the design creates an obstacle that has to pass thru the area I had used to house my blade stop. That requires the complex Cresant Milling operation (shown), or the use of stop lugs on the blade Ricasso. I’ve been documenting my methods and drill progression with pilot drills, so I will make a “flip book” to follow.

I’m certain the knife will be very nice. One heat treated the blade. I have the bolsters made and machined for attachment. Thinking of using KOA for handle scales. I’ll decide as I move just a bit farther along.

Thanks!
Gary
June 30, 2019 01:39AM
Gary,

The open assist lever on top is where my index finger is naturally, that is why I favor the design. I have not tried the lever on the front, don't care for the little bosses on the blade and just can't get past the ugly of the ring assist that is the Spyderco trademark.

My opinion.

Lon
June 30, 2019 01:48PM
Hi Lon,

Thank you. I understand that is what you like my friend.

“Where your finger is”, or where your thumb is, is a factor of how you grip the knife to use whatever mechanism the designer decided upon. As I began the thread, for several decades, I’ve made liner locks of my design. I don’t know the exact number, but they were popular, so I suspect there are at least 500 (of my total 1,450ish knives) round the world. I’ve never heard a word of dissatisfaction regarding the design. But I am aware that you aren’t a fan.

When the top extension came along, I didn’t toss my design and join the group for these reasons:

1). When cutting blades, I like to avoid wasting material. My design is linear. It’s slim. It “nests” with other blade blanks. So I get as many blades from a bar of steel as possible. A narrow right angle protrusion is not something that you can just bandsaw around. The blade won’t make a radius sharper then about 1 5/8”. The top lever shape won’t “nest” for band saw cutting. It may for waterjet or laser cutting. I know that many builders are jobber groups of guys, or craftsmen who subcontract operations. Have parts blanked out. Have parts heat treated ... for examples. I like to keep my operations in house.

2). 99% of people carry their expensive custom knives in a “pocket Slip” or “Case”. Point being to protect the knife. Prevent and possibility of an accidental blade opening in a pocket. For those reasons, a trim linear design keeps a pocket slip or case narrow. A side protrusion must be allowed for, either in a wider case or one with a slit to allow for the lever. An exposed lever on the side is just as hard on fabric and even more likely to be engaged causing accidental opening. Most are built with clip on the knife.

These are just my reasoning. However; I’ve decided to make some top levers because people enjoy them. I’m not doing it under duress or because my others were incorrect. It’s just another design that I hope will sell and be enjoyed. Thanks for your participation Lon.

Be Well
Gary
June 30, 2019 09:44PM
Gary
Thanks for the great info on the knife . I thought the bird of paradise was a flower !
As for the style I’ve found it kinda awkward with the tine out the front . The action for Me is not natural. The thumb tab your making now feels more normal to me forsure.
I really understand the extra effort you’d hafta do removing all the extra metal JUST to leave the tab . The crescent cut is a whole nuther thing .
I’m excited to see your take on the choices you make and I’m sure it will outshine the market standards. Koa will be nice too.

Thanks
Kurt
July 01, 2019 03:26PM
Hold it like a BIC lighter. Flick it like a BIC lighter. Without repositioning your grip, use it. Without repositioning your grip, close the lock, rotate blade closed, stow it in slip/sheath.

Hope that helps. Sorry guys, I’m just not on the same page. You’ve noted one of the most popular items I’ve made for about 35 years and 500ish units. Lon doesn’t own one and says he’s never tried one. You’re the only owner who’s ever told me it was awkward. I always thought it was slick as silk. I carried them for years. I could draw, open, use, and stow without a thought, in a flash. Take it with humor, but I’m just not ready for my Jimmy Swaggart moment on the 500 great Knives I have in the field. I’m making this one but it’s not been intended as a correction. Though the dialogue has stuck there. I’m just a poor old Country Bladesmith. Please don’t make the Gubment force a recall on me to convert all those awkwa...... I mean beautiful knives.
July 02, 2019 12:20AM
Gary,

I'm not saying I don't like the lever on the front, I'm saying I love the lever on the top. I prefer liner lock also.

You made an interesting comment about "the world followed". In this case, I don't think we were lemmings.

Lon
July 02, 2019 05:35AM
Psychology Lon

That’s the answer to the question. The question, at this point; probably among most readers is: “What does it matter, and who cares?” The front. The top. Who cares. And can’t we all just get along .... smile.

Why is “Psychology” the answer? Please endulge me one more time. Let’s play “what if.”

What if.... I were in business. And I had a special product that I made a certain way. Had made it for decades in fact. And “What if” when I made one of these, somebody would ask ... “have you ever thought of making that different?” Think about the psychology. Example: We’re all in the Employee Lounge before work. “Jordon” comes in with two dozen fresh strawberry filled donuts. Kevin says, “Did you think of getting cream filled?” Or ... since it’s a business example ... for lunch; we all go to the small place we enjoy around the corner. Susan asks the waitress ...”What’s the soup of the day?” The cook smiles thru the kitchen serving window and says ... “Italian Wedding Soup!” Ramon says ... “Did you think of making ham and bean?” Neighbor just bought a new car. A few of the guys from the neighborhood are looking at it. It’s a silver Grey Sport Coupe. Eric says, you know, they just came out with a stunning Anodized Bronze Color.

It’s the subtle redirect away from “what is” to “what if”. The subtle suggestion that a better choice could have been made. And it drains the life out of “what is.”

Psychology. Next from “what if”, to “Justification.”

Let’s say that someone in that employee lounge is gonna think, “darn, I’d have sure rather had a cream filled donut.” I wonder why Jordon got the whole two dozen in Strawberry anyway?” And a couple of the guys are gonna glance up and down the street and notice that at least 3 out of 5 driveways already have a Silver/Grey car in them. And one’s gonna think ... “If I get that promotion, I’m trading my car in, and I am “ definitely” gonna check out that new Anodized Bronze color!”

Psychology: the justification phase. Let’s consider that somebody made a product, with a feature, that came up in a forum thread. Justification: what kind of fool would just keep making that same design feature for over 35 years?!! And make ... what did he say ... probably over 500 copies of it? Did he do any aftermarket surveys? We’re people telling him they were having issues???

It’s the Psychology of the entire thread. The subtle seeds of doubt about what’s best. The subtle between the lines wait to see if we get a big improvement this time. Think about it. Last week, I had about a dozen patterns for my front lever assist liner locks in many styles and sizes. I have parts for ones in inventory. How do you think they’d sell right now? Are they awkward and less then optimized in usage? Better not chance it. There’s 500 of them in the field. Has your perception of them been raised or lowered this week?

I’m in business. I’m not a fool who’d make hundreds of poorly designed items, and just keep doing so for decades and decades.

I think I owe it to my readers to be clear. I don’t pick silly things to insist upon. I will have reasons if I persist with a line of thought. Hope you’ve found a few thoughts to consider. Thanks for reading. Thanks Lon and Kurt for participating in our thread. I look forward to our next get together.

Blessings
Gary
July 02, 2019 09:28AM
Gary
I also look forward to the next time we’ll all get together.

You seem a little agitated about the comments . From what I gather both Lon and myself are excited to see your NEW knife . I’m not thinking your an old fool who doesn’t think about his designs and I know you probably put more time into design in your head and paper than the actual work itself. I’m more of a trial and error guy due to the fact that my mind is popping off ideas all the time .
I know you enjoy and encourage people’s opinions. It keeps you current. Old people like me are usually set in there ways and when I see knives such as spyderco is making I like to look at them and it seems my fellow workmates and friends are always excited to share with me their new fangled knifes since I always show off my Barnes !

I’ve been flicking my bic for over 40 years and I never thought of using my thumb to open assist my Barnes. Since I’ve never owned one and don’t carry this one I never got used to the open and closing action with one hand . That is the reason it’s awkward.
I’m awkward NOT the knife. It’s kinda the same with the balisong. I’ve never owned or played with one and would surely cut my fingers off swinging one of them around. THAT doesn’t mean it’s not a great tool of a knife and I’m sure with a Kevlar hehe self-hammer glove I could use one as good as my son .
Now go get that new knife done so me and Lon can fight over it . I think it’s his turn to buy one but we’ll hafta see who wins !

PS: Just for the record I’m a Md 97 for lifer now . Nothing in my mind will beat it !

Thanks
Kurt
July 02, 2019 01:29PM
Perfect.

Thanks
Gary
July 02, 2019 01:58PM
Gary,

I don't think the thread is a "one is better than another". I stated that I could never buy a Spyderco with the ring assist drilled into the blade yet they are heralded by very popular knife reviewers as "The ultimate knife". Ultimate for them, ultimate for tens of thousands, worthless to me. I couldn't buy one on looks alone, completely Irrational reasoning.

You were making great lever assist knives 20 years before I saw my first, I'm sure they are excellent examples. If I were in the market to buy a knife and one was offered that had every feature I wanted but had scales that I didn't like I wouldn't buy it. Is it a poor design? If I was in the market for a knife and one was offered with front lever assist, svelte small pocket folder, scales to my liking and a pocket clip I would consider it.

These items are not good, better, best, it is ALL a matter of taste.

Lon

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2019 02:04PM by Bigbore.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021