Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pics from yesterday's BRSC MD Chapter range session

Pics from yesterday's BRSC MD Chapter range session
November 22, 2009 02:19PM
Had a great time yesterday with Gary and Jerry. Not sure how it is humanly possible that Jerry can already have a post up, but man, there it is. Kudos. thumbs up

Here are a few additional pics:

I love this one . . . epitomizes "Barnes Customer Service" to a tee. wink

gary_drop_everything.jpg

Gary loves his new air closet. Every time he'd go back there to check on a filling tank, he'd get this 3000 watt grin. Well done.

gary_air_closet.jpg

Out at the range setting up targets. We had great weather for this time of year, and plenty to shoot at. Here you can see the guys waving to me as I slave away hauling the heavy steel targets uphill.

range.jpg

Not sure what Gary was saying here. I think it was something like, "Hey, can we try Jerry's slug design in this rifle?" Or perhaps he was just practicing for the upcoming Barnes Pneumatic gangsta rap video he told us about. smiling bouncing smiley

gary_delta.jpg

Jerry's boys cooked up a bunch of Bishops for us to try in the Delta 45 Custom, and the thing was absolutely laser-guided all day.

gary_delta_2.jpg

This pendulum target got hammered time after time at about 40 yards or so. Check out the cluster of splts on the target face . . . quite a nice group actually.

pendulum.jpg

Shooter's-eye view from the bench.

shooters_view.jpg

Gary also had along this sweet little Appaloosa 32 . . . very quiet. Notice the unique scope mount . . . yay Centerpoint! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

gary_appaloosa.jpg

After about ten attempts we were able to capture the muzzle wash of the Delta 45 Custom as a ball exited the barrel.

delta_muzzle_wash.jpg

Here's Gary sculping one of our duct sealer "victims" for the day. Almost looks like he's looking up at Gary going, "Please, Daddy, no! You said this would be fun!" laughing again

gary_sculpting.jpg

Here's the "after" pic. I winged him and took off his right arm (first shot from the video montage). Check out how the purple color from the Bishops transferred onto the sealer.

flesh_wound.jpg

For round two, we cut a little creative and added some clays, which turned out to be pretty dramatic on video. Gary looks a little more sinister here.

gary_sinister.jpg

Trap-top autopsy. You can see the embedded ball and the rifling plainly engraved into it. Duct sealer will catch a lot of energy when the temperature is right.

critter_autopsy.jpg

We were having too much fun with this. Here are Gary and Jerry dissecting after Jerry's hit on his critter.

gary_jerry_autopsy.jpg

As usual, we shot until we ran out of light. Here's Gary shooting Jerry's .25 Maverick. I tried it too, and found I was easily able to hit two groundhog targets at 65 yards or so, offhand standing.

gary_maverick.jpg

The light was very nice, and I caught this pic of Gary trekking uphill to collect our targets at the end of the day.

gary_getting_targets.jpg

As it got dark, I snapped this pic of the Delta silhouetted in the interior of the War Wagon.

delta_silhouette.jpg

As always, thanks Kelly for a great breakfast, and thanks guys for a wonderful day of shooting!

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2009 02:23PM by Jim.
Re: Pics from yesterday's BRSC MD Chapter range session
November 22, 2009 03:34PM
Jim,

Great post.

I don't remeber the the Appaloosa 32, that gun looks SWEET!hot smiley

Lon
November 22, 2009 04:07PM
Thanks Jim,

Great post. Although, you REALLY need a filter when you shoot me! haha. I seemed to look alot like an old threadbare cotton jacket in the pictures. And, that hair really seems to have it's own agenda .... eye popping smiley winking smiley

Good fun. Couldn't get more fun per pound than that duct seal for the critters! hahah.

All the guns worked great. And, yes ... Gary and Jerry spent an accumulated two hours fiddling with the wrong scope, wrong mounts .... 30mm mounts with inserts for a 1" scope (which has a bent scope tube we found). There's MUCH to be said for OWNING a gun you are going to keep - scoping it - and keeping it set up. Personally, I only own the guns for a brief time before they are placed with customers. Therefore; I never have one in a case that's all scoped and sighted in. So; I'm doomed to forever waste hour after hour mounting a bunch of junk atop one of my fine guns. Can you imagine having a nice $800 shop scope on which I endlessly changed rings from 11mm to Weaver, ring positions fore and aft, etc.? It would be ruined in no time. Therefore; you guys get what I don't have .... the stability of being ready to shoot. thumbs up

Enjoyed the posts. Enjoyed the day guys. And, once again, that's how it's done. It's work - it takes time - it takes "stuff" - and, for it; you get fun, pictures, memories, and friends. Thanks guys. smileys with beer

Gary
November 22, 2009 05:09PM
Nice post Jim. It was a good day!
November 23, 2009 01:53AM
What's this Gary? A rifle for you? Perish the thought. Maybe you ought to get one of those store-boughten rifles instead, so you can keep one around the house to potshot squirrels and such when you get the chance.

In any case, your acute case of CLWEAS wouldn't permit you to just keep one of your own rifles around long-term without fiddling with it constantly. Yes, I'm talking about Can't Leave Well Enough Alone Syndrome, YOU know you've got it, and WE all know it's incurable. grinning smiley
November 23, 2009 02:22PM
Don't be silly Rotor,

I've had a blow pipe I made for .... 30 years. So there. eye rolling smiley

Or ... did I use that length of copper pipe when I ..... no ... I don't think so. It's here ...... somewhere. So there.

grinning smiley

Gary
November 23, 2009 02:37PM
Just a bit of help here: You'll see that, to date, there's been 45 views of Jim's post. And 1 comment from readers other than administrators.

Here's some of the things that you COULD have been first with, based upon the pictures shown, and angles the pictures were taken.

1). So, ah Gary ... you need 3 lead pots to cast these slugs of yours?

2). I see you've gone green, and installed a wind generator.

3). Some people have those little Angel/Devil things sitting on their shoulder ... Gary has a Dragon!

4). I see Gary is so old he only has one tooth left!

See ... stuff like that ..... all Teed up for you ... take a bow

Gary
November 23, 2009 03:38PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> 4). I see Gary is so old he only has one tooth
> left!

Heheheh . . . I missed that part. Thanks for pointing it out. rolling happy smiley

-- Jim
November 23, 2009 08:15PM
A blowpipe, eh? Are you SURE that you didn't re-sleeve it to a different caliber at some point, or add a fancier grip, or ?....you get the drift. wink

It's both your gift and your Achilles heel. It means that every time you get an idea on how to do something different, or perhaps better,, you build a new model. And it's also why you don't have a pattern lathe churning out a dozen identical assemblies at a run, feeding stacks of parts to the employees in the assembly line.

If you had a "permanent shop gun" it'd be like the proverbial Washingtons Axe. Yup...we've replaced the head twice and the handle half a dozen times, but it's the authentic original, all right.eye rolling smiley

And yes, it does look like you've got a dragon looking over your shoulder. Can't you at least get the poor critter a spotting scope?grinning smiley
November 26, 2009 06:26AM
Great photography Jim, kinda feel like I was theregrinning smiley Those last few shots sum up a great day.
Cheers
Neil
December 13, 2009 12:16AM
Gary,

That Appaloosa is saweeet. It looks tiny in that pic. Roughly how long is it and what does it weigh? Do you know offhand how long the barrel is? it's an awesome looking little critter. Almost looks small enough to be a backpack gun that you could just carry around with you wherever you go.
December 13, 2009 01:42PM
Hello Griffin,

Ya know - I'd have to go by guessing ... but it's only about 36-38" long ... and light too - 5 pounds maybe. It's made to carry - you bet. And - it will give about 60-80 fpe depending upon the ammo.

Glad you like it. thumbs up

Gary
November 22, 2019 12:15PM
Gary -- check out what we did TEN YEARS AGO yesterday! I really miss going shooting with you guys out in New Windsor . . . even back then I realized it was special.

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2019 12:16PM by admin.
November 22, 2019 04:55PM
Hi Jim!

Ha ... ten years yesterday was it?!

I miss it too. A lot. And the business misses it terrible. We proved the guns really work. We proved you had fun with them. We proved they could tolerate being the subject of a picture!

I knew it was special too. Now I have the space to shoot here at BPS. But figuring an Algorithm that takes into account my minor expenses and my major pains ... eludes me. And, there’s no Jim and Jerry. That was Camelot Jim. But I haven’t given up working or trying. Hope I get a gold star for that. Cause I know what it takes me to do it, and I’m not sure everybody would.

My guns are out there! Wish we’d get some of YOUR versions of the simple Saturday shoot. Yes, we three used a trailer and a generator and had a big field on loan. When I lost the field, and the neighborhood do Good committee was just waiting til they located staples for their Stanley to fix the cease and desist to my door. And my stupid 35 year insurance agent told my Carrier that I had a “Gun and Knife Manufacturing Shop in the back yard ... you know ... like Winchester!!!!!!! So my home insurance was canceled ..... well .... and I couldn’t tolerate the cold of Winters any longer for pain .... well .... it was time to pack up 12 box trailers and pull them 1,109 miles.

I miss it a lot. You guys recall the fabulous posts Jerry did from his back yard? Tofazfou from the desert? Even Bison Bob. Does it mean my Guns and Knives stopped being good? No. They just stopped being used.

I’ll do my best. I’m making plans. We have an add in the paper for a Jim and Jerry too!!! That should work!!!

Thanks Jim
Gary
November 23, 2019 10:56AM
Man oh man them look like good times ! I can only live vicariously through pics but I sure wish I was there . It’s crazy how the world changes and what ya do years ago and now ya just can’t find the time or the energy.

The Appaloosa is definitely been a favorite of mine for a long time and hearing y’all talking about and shooting it makes me drool even more .

Thanks for sharing AGAIN !

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021