Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Benchmarks of Quality and Things you may Not Know scholar

Benchmarks of Quality and Things you may Not Know scholar
November 01, 2019 07:01PM
When I began to make knives, the highest honor you could give a man was this: “He practices Sole Authorship”. That met that if you saw something on his work ... then He did it. Make all the parts? Yes. Do his own heat treating? Yes. Did he engrave that? Yes. Sheath? Yes. Design?? You bet. Make his own Damascus? Yes indeed. What about fiddly little things like springs, washers, and screws? Well, I’ve made them all - still make most - don’t generally make screws. They are so standardized, it’s pointless in a world that’s totally changed since 1974. Nobody cares about the screws.

There begins an interesting discussion. And our entire trade/craft hinges on that one fact. Plainly stated: somebody has to Care, or there is no trade of Knifemaker. Hang on ... it will get interesting.

Did you know that in the 70s/80s, Guys would buy parts which were roughed out by others. As commercial technology advanced, it went from bandsaw, to water jet, to laser. The pitch being; “why should I waste my precious time on the common tasks?” Sure ... makes sense. Why make the dough if you call yourself a baker? After you come up with the story line, why fill in the dialogue pages if you call yourself a Writer? It’s more efficient to have underlings do preliminary or clean up steps. Of course, if you are valuing efficiency, we might as well stay home and listen to an Album rather then mix with a mob at a Concert. And we will surely see and hear more of any Sporting Event thru your Flat Screen then freezing in the Stands. It comes down to “what you value”. It comes down to “caring”.

I could develop it more, but you get the idea. And I have to work. I haven’t been here as much recently. Pain has robbed a lot recently. I have to mention it lest I be misunderstood.

Please look at the pics. There are many things in them that indicate the points that make my work worthy of being collected. But only if people care. Only if they notice. Only is what they notice, is currently popular. You see, the things that are valued change so fast anymore. Nobody could keep up. And that’s the plan, if you let it work. Example: What happens when that thing/skill/practice, that was highly prized because it had lasting value, and real skill levels ... falls behind to the Pet Rock and Beanie Babies? When the Concert level Chelloist makes one 500th of the Rap Star stomping around grabbing their ...

To one extent or another, this battle is always raging. To keep attention with 873 Million sites on part of the web. To compete with access to a $250,000 laser ... because nobody sees any difference. To tell people the difference and not have them say ... well he’d use a laser if he had one...

It’s difficult to “Define” the rules of the game that you are playing if one side doesn’t care. Let’s say Sunday you sit back to watch the game. One team lined up on field ... and the other team bursts over the goal post in Tanks. What???? It’s more “efficient” ....

Haha

Later. Thanks much
Gary
74A9EDA7-D57F-4CE4-9E79-C5E20DEE23BC.jpeg
6421012B-F679-4556-BB37-07A12B464860.jpeg
3568B218-13BB-480D-BE5C-8A569C11C2EA.jpeg
79856605-D999-4C64-925C-3C5CA8CBFBD3.jpeg
C4DFF68E-C171-4684-AA65-155817581050.jpeg
869BF436-687F-4C0D-B134-11EF7FB95D94.jpeg
Re: Benchmarks of Quality and Things you may Not Know scholar
November 01, 2019 08:49PM
Hello Gary
I hope you travel thru this stretch of pain quick!

Ok now to the statement at hand ....
I get it ! I completely get and I’ll tell ya, you can’t GET IT in too many places these days . I’m truly in awe of the product and craftsman ! You definitely own it all to a fault.
To me it’s about pride and not just the fact that you CAN do it but you can do it Well also .
Thank you very much
I’m in your corner .

Thanks
Kurt
November 28, 2019 11:22PM
Gary,
I enjoy the pictures, as always.
People are so focused on "more," they often miss what is "better". And I'm not sure the word "value" has any real meaning to most.
I pray you heal quickly and the pain fades soon.

Scott
December 04, 2019 12:58PM
I review posts. More slowly the second time. It’s in order to extract the value good folks put into their comments. Thank you.

This has been a very painful stretch. I know many readers have tired of me being in pain. I have too. It is a boring read. It’s the sort of truth below the headlines. But it fills in the story. I fell hard, about two months ago. From about three feet in height, onto my side. I didn’t have time to crumple or roll. I hit like a bag of rocks.

I’ve spent this very painful time among the same tools, notes, and assignments. Working on the parts of a future headline. And attempting to pay the bills. That becomes a secondary injury to deal with.

Scott and Kurt. Thank you both for caring and wishing me healing. It means a lot to people in pain, to have the well wishes of friends. When pain is fresh, people wish you well. When your pain lingers, it tires many. But thank you guys for being sincere. It will help.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2019 01:14PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021