Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Progress on this Project.

Progress on this Project.
May 06, 2020 11:15PM
20F4BDE6-5104-41CC-A57B-BD65CAA39468.jpeg

The blade is done. First off the new tooling.

There are many ways to grind blades. For the newest Model 97 Pack Knife, I’ve chosen a “deep stopped hollow” grind.

I’m dialing in the jig. I started life flat grinding on a 1 by 30” Strip Sander. Then hollow and flat grinding on a 6” from Texas Knifemaker’s Supply. Then built my own grinder in 1976, and freehand ground both hollow and flat. About 1983, I went big with 20” wheels on another Barnes designed grinder. I have used that for about 37 years. Those big wheels leave an arc that is nearly flat from edge to spine. It makes a very Classic blade that is strong and cuts well.

But for these $350 97s with thinner blades, I thought I’d go hollow grind again. People like the stopped grind (line down the blade). Thus the grinding jig made for my 76 grinder. I plan to make a few blades. I allowed for many possibilities.

Here’s the first 97 Pack, for the Ledger Friend who spoke up for it.

Thanks for checking in.
Gary
Re: Progress on this Project.
May 07, 2020 12:24AM
Looking Good Gary. I do like that line down the blade as well. It all looks awesome to me.That blade looks SERIOUSLY SHARP.!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 12:28AM by hornblower.
May 07, 2020 01:04PM
Gary,
So is that blade a chiseled grind or a double grind?
You mentioned that you could do both type of grinds on the Youtube video of the Pac Knife.
Either way it looks very sharp!

Thanks, Bob
May 07, 2020 04:20PM
Hi Bob,

This one is double ground. But you are correct, I do think I’d like the chisel ground a lot. My jig would do that beautifully. It could pull the line up higher on the blade, or I could hold the line and make the edge section thicker.

May put one in my knife to test.

This one will be really nice. I’ll be glad for feedback.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021