Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maryland - Sunday Evening.

Maryland - Sunday Evening.
July 08, 2012 09:46PM
Well, nothing to it. You mean guys get PAID for this!?? Haha

About $70 every 200 miles for gasoline. Seems hit doesn't much matter if the trailer is empty or full. It's 8.9 mpg full and about 10 empty. Yeah. Remember, I didn't make it. Just drove it - and filled it.

I have a couple of pcs to send out now. Lots more to tear down and load. I've tried to keep things usable here. Getting more difficult now.

Book tape helped again driving. Although, I don't care to hear anything about nano robots for years to come. eye rolling smiley. The implausable junk science written into books is just a tad bit over the top. Haha. Unless you think there are actually nano sized robots that feed on organic matter and use the minerals to reproduce themselves. Making neat little metal parts and circuits to manufacture more of themselves. Or - there are the ones that fly and then cut themselves into people to travel thru their bloodstreams. Little scissors to slice - of course. These were reduced from actual size machines. WHAT am I reading? Micheal Crighton (of Jurasic Park fame) ... Book MICRO in audio disc. Quit after the reduced size humans were attacked by full sized insects for the 78th time .... whistling AND ... about 6 or 7 or the heros had been killed off. Note to writers: It's FANTASY ... the heros should survive! Then ... Clive Cussler's new book "The Storm". microbots led by an evil genius - ok. Gosh ... I hope it's fiction. winking smiley

Someday I must write about my observations from the road. What a screwed up, backwards, awkward, dilapidated mess outside the truck windows. Just a hint: we got off exits where major corporations were too inept to arrange for small signs to direct you too them once leaving 95, yet one light towns would have three billboards posted to different bail bondsman businesses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 01:13PM by barnespneumatic.
Anonymous User
Re: Maryland - Sunday Evening.
July 09, 2012 01:50AM
What mess are you driving through? Be careful young man. The bail sign,s sound a little creepy to say the least.
July 09, 2012 03:08AM
Hi Don,
Well, 95 has quite a few messy sections. You really notice it pulling a trailer. They aren't so much about refreshing the paved surface. More about building stacked bridges three or four high - sweeping and swooping overhead. Rather then maintaining what they already built decades ago.
I also marvel at the absurd collection of rest stop equipment that has been designed by apparent hapless engineers. They'd evidently never seen the human anatomy prior to designing for this industry. Can't get a spigot to offer water. Can't make a soap dispenser - dispense. Can't get a paper towel machine to function - though there are twenty designs in place. Thirty different kinds of electric hand blowers that barely function. Everybody wiping their hands on their pant legs - but we saved a tree. Can't get people in and out of a space. Can't create anything that can be cleaned and or maintained. Can't cool, heat, or ventelate a space. And, that condition continues decade after decade. Photocells that don't work. Latches that don't. Too much water - not enough water. Sidewalk bottlenecks. I actually saw a recycling ... ah .... thing ... that consisted of six different labeled drums with top aperatures to be fought for deposit. Six categories! You don't think anyone may have just tossed Jr's used diaper in any of those, do you? It's a farce.
Truck/trailer parking with compact cars in them. Handicap parking spots with cars with several mountain bikes on top. An old school bus with the sides cut out and black plastic corrugated drain pipe split and used to cover the raw edges where the top and windows were removed. Producing something like a tour vehicle you might view a game park from. All on the East Coast's prime North South corridor ... We Need You! hahha.
What a drive!
July 09, 2012 02:06PM
Rough part of the country . . . that stretch of the I-95 corridor has always been bad. That's where Michael Jordan's dad was murdered about 20 years ago when he pulled off to take a nap. The Reaper

If you can deal with the extra mileage, I-81 / I-77 is a much nicer drive.

-- Jim
July 09, 2012 06:21PM
Thanks Jim,

Yeah - it is prettier. But it's all up hill - serious hills. Seems there's very little down again. The truck did the work, but it wasn't a relaxing drive over there. We went that way last time ... then bailed out and went back to 95. Lost about a hundred miles doing it. I was hoping for the simplier flat drive. But - I can't decide. The last 150 miles thru Alabama was at night when I did it several trips ago. Seemed the speed limit was always dropping from about 65 to 35 without warning. Police fleecing everybody they can stop. Quite a cash crop from the numbers of blue lights seen. I didn't want to fall into that this time. But - this wasn't a picnic either.

Might have to try 81 again. Thanks,
Gary
July 09, 2012 01:18PM
HI Don,
It seemed to be one of the major industries in the N.C. towns where we'd get off for gasoline. Most other things in town closed down - but bail bondsmen seemed to have new big signs.
July 09, 2012 05:39PM
Gary,

As you know, eventually you will be done and it will all be just a fading memory. You'll be able to return to the comfort of your new home doing everything online, in a bathrobe with hot...................................................Sorry, my Internet connection terminated unexpectedly......with hot coffee, like me:

"Yes, you sent me a notice that I have an overdue electronic toll fee that I didn't know I had". "Sir, we can't find your account". "but the notice says my car registration has been put on hold, Amber alert for me, if not paid you'll take a kidney!" "Sir, we can't find your account".

"Hello, Bank of America?". ""Yes". "You sent me a notice that you can't deliver my statement electronically, e-mail refused". Verified e-mail address. "You need to speak to Electronic Banking, please hold while I transfer". Electronic Banking: "Sir, everything looks fine". "Why are you sending me a notice that there is a problem?" "I don't know, let me transfer you to Credit Card Services". "No, wait, they just transferred me to..............hello, hello?"

I went to the Post Office this morning. Standing in line. Helpful manager asking people in line what they need. He asks me what I need, pulls me out of line, express service, look out Fedex! Has me fill out two small receipts. I try to hand everything to him. "No, you need to get back in line". "I lost my place in line, that didn't help" I say. "Go to the next available clerk" he says. "What about the people that were ahead of me in line?" I ask. "Lines have a function" I add. Deer in the headlights look. Graciously the lady who was behind me offers me my place in line back. Manager disappears.

This all happened this morning. The simple life.brick wall

Hey, the nano tech thing is more fact than fiction. I follow it a little.alien

With you in spirit,

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 05:45PM by Bigbore.
July 09, 2012 06:39PM
I've read about the nanotech thing. Had some folks try to explain parts too. I realize those who want it to be are real protective of it. The whole ... "ya see that atom there ... that's the wheel. That other blob there is the motor" ... thing is a bit of a stretch for me. They speak in machine terms ... but mostly get the machine terms wrong for their machine functions. Few "machines" have one moving part. Guess it's just me ... cause every techy oriented mag. or story is full of it. (So to speak ... whistling .... ooopps). Have you found more convincing data?

Another idea!
July 10, 2012 06:44AM
Gary,

I'm far from a nano-machine advocate, but don't dismiss them.

My understanding of nano technology is not that it can't exceed one nanometer in size but that it is measured in nanometers. A machine tens of nanometers in size is considered nano-tech from my reading.

Luddites, sheesh.smiling smiley

Lon
July 10, 2012 07:32PM
And to think...they already call it "the blue screen of death"surprised
July 09, 2012 10:11PM
I don't know about you guys, but personally I'll be thrilled if it's not me being the first one to have "nano-machines" injected into my bloodstream to try and fix things. Just my luck, I'd have the ones that run on dodgy software...not lookin' good

I can just see a doctors appointment in the future: Some pimply, wispy-bearded geek sitting in front of a giant flatscreen rotor-rooting out my critical arteries when suddenly the screen flashes blue..."arterial Windows has encountered an unexpected error and needs to close...send an error report Y / N ? "

injured
July 10, 2012 02:18AM
Nah ... that won't happen. You just need the hourly "upgrades". typing Of course .. there COULD be some obscure glitch that your ISP blames on you. stunned
July 10, 2012 11:35PM
"Please remain grounded while the nanobots reconfigure your synapses. Your personality will be acceptable shortly."
July 11, 2012 01:13AM
As long as the computer accounting software they use is up to speed. I'd hate to go in for a pancreas tuneup or a lung-upgrade or something and have my credit card denied right in the middle of things.

Whatta you mean my spleen has been reposessed?!? I just finished paying that off last January!The Reaper
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021