Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Had to shoot some gel today!

Had to shoot some gel today!
April 10, 2009 12:16AM
I took the ballistic gel out of the fridge today to capture a few more shots. Sadly, I didn't get the zoom or set-up right to capture anything just right. They are average videos at best but what the heck; shoot and learn...

This is a frontal shot of the 550gr .62 slug hitting the gel. The gel blocks were setup so that the large face was facing the shooter (me) who was shooting from 40 yards. The slug had no trouble penetrating 14" of ballistic gel and then holing the jug of blue water.

After the first shot Timmy demanded an immediate reattack as the jug of blue water still remained mostly full. This was a little better shot and hit near dead center on the gel.

Here are a few stills:
002.jpg
.002 seconds after the second shot hit the gel.

003.jpg
.003 seconds after the second shot hit the gel. I should have zoomed in more for these films but I didn't know if the reaction would be larger and thus require the shot I took. Just a guessing game I got wrong.

62 track.jpg
Here you can see the tracks from the .62 550gr shots.

2holes.jpg
And the holes in the jug... The dark shape in the gel is a slug from an earlier series of shots.

That's a video of a shotgun shell hitting the gel. The gel has been stacked flat against the target wall. Again, sadly the video doesn't show much. The box that the gel is stacked on takes a big hit and that's all the stuff flying about. The box had a big crack on the other side so don't worry about the loss of it. This "film" was made of a shell made of #5 shot. It made a mess of the heavy plastic box and penetrated a good 3" into the gel. The shotgun shells were fired from 25 yards.

blast1.jpg
I guess there's no saving that box!

embed shot.jpg
Lot's of #5 shot embedded in the gel.

penshot.jpg
Shot tracks are a bit better visible in this shot.
Re: Had to shoot some gel today!
April 10, 2009 12:30AM
I could see a big ole hole opening up in the second video. Neat.

Now, you can get your forceps, and probe all the wound chanels to retract the buckshot! tongue sticking out smiley

Gary
April 10, 2009 12:47AM
Yup, I need to do some cleaning! Wait a second, I don't have any forceps. I'm not a doctor. I know someone here who is though and they will probably send me some! laughing again

Looks like it is time to re-melt and re-cast the gel. I've still got several ideas for videos. The .22 Monsoon videos need to be re-shot much closer in high speed and also zoomed out a bit and shot in HD just for perspective. I also need to do shots comparing a regular .22 pellet to a predator HP with that plastic nose. I'll have to use the RWS 54 for that series. Then, I was thinking I might make some more of those 6 or 7 ring hollow-points I made back when... Oh, I probably need to compare the slugs that the Maverick shoots. Let's see; ball, Falcon lite, Falcon, Bishop, Pepper Grinder, 7 ring ...
April 10, 2009 04:34AM
Great vids Jerry! Still cool to see that big'ol slug tracking to and thru the target.

I think the gel has a lot more life in it before you have to remelt. Those little #5 shot should get right out of the way.

Can't wait to see what's next,

Kent
April 10, 2009 05:53AM
Jerry,

Always fun, the shotgun hits were a little hard to follow though.

Lon
April 10, 2009 06:34AM
Yeah, the shotgun vid was no good. It would have been better in HD.
April 10, 2009 06:51PM
great vid , i think the box has passed the box stage now . i didnt think ''normal'' people could turn out vids like these , i thought it was in the university science people remit. all good stuff
thanks
tom
April 10, 2009 09:03PM
Thanks for pointing out my variance from "normal" Tom! surprised

I'm sure you're right. Normal people don't play with airguns and they sure don't go and try to figure out what is happening during the impact of a "BB gun" slug because after all, what "normal" person would give a hoot? This explains why I really don't like "normal" people! rolling happy smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021