Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: WOW WOW WOW!!

WOW WOW WOW!!
August 14, 2015 12:08AM
image.jpg

This has not been sanded or polished. This is straight off the surface grinder. But I can tell the material characteristics, and the quality. I'm really STOKED over this Fossil Misquito Tusk I have mad..... Ah .... Excavated ... dig it. whistling

The options are limitless. For an artist, this type of new experience is everything.

Ok, I'm happy; so don't be a bummer. take a bow

(BTW - note I've been cranking the gun work, and some quick math will show how much of this extra stuff simply goes to pay my sky rocketing $1,500+/month health insurance and the extra several hundred $ for meds. Yippie).
Sal
August 14, 2015 02:05AM
Is that some of that old fashion carbon fiber mixed with a few colors? I bet that is going to look sweet polished up. Maybe some stainless and a blade mixed in? Yummy!
August 14, 2015 05:00AM
Hi Sal,

Yep. The color is in the matrix material. This one will have a stainless blade. The liners are bonded now. Brass. This will be a button lock. A slightly shorter version of the Mdl. 97. I can see that this material will look killer in polished form, or in a satin finish. I can't stand it.

When I began making knives, I read about this material. Hunted and hunted for it. Finally tracked to a plastics company in the city - 50 miles away. I was a babe in the woods. Made a trek to the place and found all sorts of odds and ends of pcs. in the natural color - mostly of a paper matrix. At that time, the rage was what they were calling "Ivory Micarta" ... a Cream color paper base Phenolic. But I couldn't find it.

Well, forward from 1975 to 2015, and I've cracked the code. I can dig for the stuff in my own Tar Pits! haha. I'm stoked about the quality. It took custom steel molds and the pressure of Eons of Time (or Hydraulic if you are more rushed) ... along with research- just like the old days when I sat in bed at 2am and read everything I could find on subjects. This stuff is harder then bone. That's what I was going for. Bone was the ideal benchmark. Bone is a near perfect natural handle material. Very stable. Warm. Beautiful. Can be dyed. Ages gracefully. Is structural. Is solid throughout. Bingo!!!

Thanks Sal,
Gary
August 14, 2015 12:03PM
Wow Gary,
Your enthusiasm sure shows through. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Just don't get too excited and shoot yourself in the eye Red Rider!
Later,
Jeff
P.S. Haven't been posting much because of a big house problem I have tried to write about twice - each time I lost the post. Hope to have it sorted out soon.
August 14, 2015 03:13PM
Ah Jeff,

You're killin' me. Lost posts. You have to write it elsewhere. Copy it - Command C, then bring up the post window here, hit Command V. I'm sure you know all that. But then you won't run afoul of your connection to the forum timing out. And your post will be secure elsewhere. It's a bummer to loose posts. I hate that too. why me

Good hearing from you. Hope the house thing gets straight. I sort of shake and wobble whenever I hear the word "house" .... scared
Gary
August 14, 2015 07:55PM
Stabilized camouflage I like it . Hope it turns out just as planned . It always fun discovering new ..... Dig sites !

Thanks
Kurt
August 14, 2015 09:46PM
That's right Kurt. Secret dig sites. whistling

I'm sure glad when I wasn't here on the Studio patio about 8pm when these Saber Tooth Misquitos roamed the earth! The ones we have now drive me Nutz.

thumbs up

Gary
August 15, 2015 05:03PM
I anticipate there is a huge urge to experiment with colors and patterns in this new material!
August 15, 2015 05:27PM
Nah .... whistling

Just what the ole Tar Pit yields.

Hey Jerry ... Just conversationally speaking, how many colors do you think there are ... nowthatIthink

Gary
August 15, 2015 05:39PM
I'm told real men only know 6 colors but I think there might be a couple more...tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021