Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: New Knife Design under build

New Knife Design under build
August 14, 2015 11:08PM
image.jpg

I'm making this up as a medium sized Mdl. 97 with Fossil Sketer Tusk. wow. About 6 5/8" OAL.

I'll work on it here and there with other things.

Gary
August 15, 2015 04:57PM
Looks like waiting to see that handle polished is going to be the great Barnes tease of late summer!
August 15, 2015 08:12PM
Hi Gary,

I do like where this is going... Please give some details about the blade.

Thanks,

julio
August 15, 2015 08:37PM
Hi Julio,
You see it in it's raw state. I'm about to heat treat it soon. It's stainless. Have to see how it turns out. Thanks.
It's a bit smaller, so everything had to be redesigned.
Gary
August 16, 2015 01:33AM
A quick polish shows the material has a reflected surface like polished stone or bone. When it's rotated out of the glare, the colors are vibrant.

It feels warn like bone. Has the hardness of bone. Harder then all but the best of fossil Ivory.

I proclaim it a success! Love it. More as I finish it. Have a great Sunday.

Gary
image.jpg
image.jpg
August 16, 2015 12:10PM
Hey Gary,
That is shaping up nicely. I think you have all of the knife buffs on the site drooling to see the outcome. I can't wait!
Later,
Jeff
August 16, 2015 01:36PM
Thanks Jeff,
Glad you like it! Me too.
It's just flat and square here. I just did a quick polish on it that way to see the surface characteristics. It will be all contoured when finished. thumbs up.
Gary
August 16, 2015 01:06PM
Hi Gary
So when you discovered that it was working as planned ,was it your first try at skeeter tusks that worked? I'd so you are very lucky . A lot of time things take many trials and studies to achieve the desired results . I really like the random pattern too as in not symmetrical. It reminds me of some of your stocks when you laminate colors of wood together and then have to contour , cut , shape and then the real design comes out !
Glad it buffed up nice . Did it plug up sandpaper ?

Thanks
Kurt
August 16, 2015 01:54PM
Hi Kurt,

Excellent questions from a fellow builder. thumbs up
It was like the old days Kurt. I nailed this one first time. You will recognize the process. I research everything about it. If I have a question, I find the answer. I then build the tooling needed. I accumulate the materials needed. All the while, in do continuos dry runs in my head. Seeing if I find another question I need to research farther. During the education process, I have to adapt the information I find, to my tools. I might even find that I can improve upon the information I find. Fifty years of building things gives you a clarity on how to get from step to step.

Finally, it's time to do it. By then, it feels like I'm just "doing it again". Haha. And, unless I've made a fundamental error in judgement, it all works. Feels good.

No, it sands clean. That's another plus plus. If it were rubbery, it wouldn't be any good. This is as hard as bone. It sands perfectly clean.

Thanks for asking, Kurt.
Gary
August 20, 2015 02:30AM
Liking it so far! Funny how hard it is to capture color and shine in one picture!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021