Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Another Saturday Nite in Paradise!

Another Saturday Nite in Paradise!
August 30, 2015 02:29AM
image.jpg

More Pics later.

Just wanted you to know I'm not enjoying anything. Saturday Nite 9:30pm. First coat of stock oil on Steve's Ledger 32. Yay!!!!

Gary
August 30, 2015 02:53AM
Gary,
I know you are hiding something... Usually after a post like that you show us a fine home cooked meal with exotic food like bisque, or fresh veggies, or homemade something, so I'll just wait for it. As for me, I mowed, raked, trimmed and shoveled today and now my back is hurting so bad I can't rest... Yep, just like everybody else who crosses the 6 decade threshold. Gotta love still being alive to irritate folks self-hammer.
Enjoy (anyway),
Jeff
August 30, 2015 05:07AM
I suspect you will be able to sort out the Stock Pics from the Homemade Apple Turnovers. My Grandmother's Sewing Machine from the Tilapia Bisque? One of my Drainage Gullies from a Sterling and Fossil Ivory Bracelet I made about 26 years ago.

Was a very busy day. After Midnight. Church in the morning. Hope your Sunday is Great.
Blessings,
Gary
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
August 30, 2015 12:34PM
Gary,
Yep, there ya go again making me hungry! That sewing machine is equisite. They don't make them like that anymore, for sure. And the bracelet is beautiful. Thanks for the visual tour. Enjoy the turnovers More coffee. Off to church now myself.
Later,
Jeff
August 30, 2015 11:43PM
Thks Jeff,

The stock will photograph much better in daylight. The flash washes out contrasts.

There is a mile of carving on the stock. This one in Walnut.

Gary
August 31, 2015 12:25AM
Not enjoying anything eh? Well, the stock looks great anyhow. bowing
August 31, 2015 02:28AM
Hi Jerry,

Hey ... Some things. But keep it under your shirt. Someone will bust me. Ha.

Thks Jerry. Nice thing is that the gun is all done when the stock is done. I've been cranking. Trying to gain a few years. Nothing to it. Ha.

Good to see you around. Stop back please. (Hey, did you like the Sketer tusk?")

Gary
August 31, 2015 05:56AM
Gary,

I just wanted to know if the Tilapia was from the ditch? Kidding it all looks great.. But I catch fish like that at the Cement Pond with flies tied to look like fish food pellets.

Hope the rain does not mess you up..

Larry
August 31, 2015 10:54AM
Hi Larry,

Kurt is an expert Fly Tie Master. Now, was that a Purina Fish Food Pellet, or the Old Roy Brand. There are subtle differences that Master will immediately recognize. woodsman

No, I keep my Tilapia in a big barrel, just shoot one when needed. The 87 makes fish sticks! Haha.

Great to hear from you Larry! Hope you have not had any Typhoons lately.

Stay in touch!!

Gary
August 31, 2015 11:20PM
Thanks for the great compliment Gary . Coming from you , that really means a lot . I have only mastered the trout pellets though . Still working on the tilapia texture. I feel guilty because I haven't even got a fishing license this year ! And I live on the river . Only a month or so and steelhead will be running up stream !
Larry if you post a photo I can work on the tilapia fly . At least when you fish in cement ponds you can't get to-many snags ! Hehe it's gotta be more fun than SHOOTIN them like Gary does but .... The man makes guns so what can you say !

Thanks
Kurt
September 02, 2015 05:18AM
Kurt,

Thanks but fihsing in the cement pond is almost like Gary shooting the .87 in the barrel. lol I just tie a simple foam body fly with a single hackle in the middle and color has not been a factor all colors tried work the same a fish a cast. I have seen it called an Ant or Spider and please trust me this is NOT tying a real fly and I would be laughed off any stream in the U.S if seen using it. But these starving fish will hit a stick or piece of bark just like they hit the fly. I know that is sad and I am sorry but that is all I have.

I am really helping the fish farm owner cull out the old breeders that he has in that tank so sport it is not .. But cleaned 5 minutes after I catch them and cooked on the already hot grill is some very fine eating I have to say. (lemon, salt and pepper)

I saw the photos of some of your flys and they looked like art to me.

Still bad fly fishing is better than not fishing.

Take care,

Larry
September 02, 2015 02:51PM
Hi Larry,

Clearly you are too modest! "A fish a cast" and the man is STILL seeking improvement!!! WHAT a Pro!!!

And, having a hot grill beside the stream is a real "Show of Confidence!"

Good Man! Now THAT is FISHING

woodsman

Gary
September 03, 2015 07:12AM
Gary,

Thanks that made me laugh because what you don't know is the local worker/guard has a large net only a few feet from us just in case they do not bite the fly. They have never failed to hit the fly and there are no small fish in the old breeder pond. So should they choose not to rise to take the fake rubber spider we have a 30 foot net at the ready.

Sport??? I really think not but it is true we start the BBQ grill up with great Confidence. Fry them up if you got em!

Larry
September 03, 2015 09:53AM
Larry
There is not much better than fresh caught fish . I have tied a lot of terrestrial flys and they are the most difficult . A grasshopper would take a good hour to tie using all shot and or found materials . Except of course thread and hook . If you really want to get a kick , find yourself a bow and arrow and tape a fishing reel to bow . It's a lot of fun . My yard floods usually once a year and fish get landlocked in the water . I get a 10 foot step ladder out and sit in top and use all my older target arrows to shoot fish . Is a blast .
Take care .

Thanks
Kurt
September 03, 2015 12:24PM
OK Kurt,

You win, shooting fish with a bow from a ladder in your yard is really great. I mean fishing in a spring fed cement fish pond with a rubber spider sounds normal now. That really brought a smile to my face.

I did a job in Seattle and one big rain kids were chasing big fish down the road that might have been trout or salmon so I get what you are doing and it sounds like fun.

I don't know if you can highjack a thread about "Another Night in Paradise" but I think we all tried real hard. Sorry Gary.

Kurt I do not tie flies I got a simple kit when I was a teen but playing bass guitar in a band was more fun and other than a few simple and poorly tied ants I did not ever tie a real fly. Like I said I get the hackles for my foam ants from a guy a few doors down who has some fighting cocks and every Sunday I can go to his house to get a few hackle feathers from his latest loser as he plucks it for the pot. I like to use long barbless hooks because it makes it easy and the fish don't care what the fly looks like.

Kurt check youtube for shooting fish in the Philippines with air guns and you will see why they do not use bows and arrows for fish.

I hope I can get back to the US soon and maybe try some of your flies on real fish NOT in stock ponds if I have the skills to really fly fish after fishing in a pool. ha ha ..

Take care Kurt and Gary,

Larry
Anonymous User
September 01, 2015 01:32AM
Very beautiful stock. That sewing machine is very unique.
September 01, 2015 02:30AM
Hi Don,

My Grandfather liked to shop in Hanover, Pa. There were many smaller stores, family run businesses. My Grandparent's hay day would have been the late 50's / early 60's. I'm sure this seeing machine would hit that story. It does have a plate saying it's the Delux Model. I think another metal plate denotes what I recall as being an appliance store on Baltimore Street.

Granddad liked to buy everyone nice Dishes. Loved Brown Stoneware. The one with the Cream Color accent border. We have a big Turkey Platter he bought. I also have HIS Father's Pocketwatch. Great Grandfather was a Cattle Merchant. On the Barnes side Great Grandfather was a Mill Wright.

I have many, many of my Grandfather Stoner's tools, and use them daily.

Gary
September 02, 2015 02:26AM
Looks great Gary. Would love to see a pic of Great Grand Dads pocket watch. I know.... just can't help myself. Maybe I can get it ticking for you.
Steve
Anonymous User
September 02, 2015 12:20PM
The cattle trade sound's very interesting. The mill right trade is a total connection to you. My grandfather would tell you that you inherited your talent. He was Lt col in ww2 served in Korea. Have you ever heard the phrase tram a mill?
September 04, 2015 04:24PM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for showing all the variety of works that you are performing. Please expand on the leather sheath.

Thanks,

julio
September 04, 2015 06:16PM
Hello Julio,

Kelly "ordered it" for me to carry recently finished pocket knives in, on Sunday. Flexible upholstery leather (a bit heavier then glove leather) sewn on Grandmom's Sewing Machine. Snap Closure. thumbs up

One of those things that is probably more work then it's worth.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021