Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Fastest way to Ledger Progress

Fastest way to Ledger Progress
September 16, 2015 03:50PM
If you'd like to see me spend more time on those ledger projects, the method is quite simple. Here goes: "Put more Sold signs on the small things I offer for sale". The group of people purchasing those items, are about one half of one percent of the readers here. Most that are buying, are taking advantage of my offer to split up the cost. That's fine and I appreciate all sales.

For the reader who occasionally checks in, notices I'm staying up late finishing small quality items, and then offering to accept monthly payments on a few hundred dollar item; I'd like to humbly repeat there is a reason I do that. It's because I cannot do my best "Ledger Work", by candlelight .... while bill collectors are beating on the shop door. If you remind me that your account is paid, and you have been waiting since before dinosaurs went extinct ... I'll humbly counter that when dinosaurs roamed free, I didn't have any of the major health issues our Maker has seen fit to visit upon me. And, my health ins./med cost rose from just over nothing, to approaching two grand each month.

If I were to just cut out all the wasted time making income, and coping with health issues, I might get one more gun finished before I died. You all can decide among yourselves which one of you gets that. Otherwise; going on the model of finishing as many Ledger Items as I can, then additional readers, who collect fine items built by lifetime artists; may wish to consider that "I" am a lifetime artist probably in my last decade (no. 5) of building world class items for sale. I actually preferred life "before" my health was ruined. But, I go on building out of a sence of obligation. I would ask if any can find that admirable. If so, perhaps adding a pocket knife to that gun you've waited for, is not a horrible idea.

I know there's a grinding resentment for some who quietly check in, don't see their gun, and worse ... see some pocket case I'm really pleased to have completed. With a snort of disgust they click off the forum. As I've repeated, my problem is that I do not "type in a disabled tone". Therefore; I sound just like I did 10-15 years ago, when I had a life. It's just hard to make the connection between the quality of work seen here, and someone fighting their health.

And so; we get to the wrap up. If you are still reading, the nut of the thread is this; just my health issues cost me $65 every time I wake up. When I ask $300 for a pocket knife, it's a total give away, yielding me nothing for my 42 professional years. If anyone would like to see more Ledger Work, help me buy some hours to work. I didn't find myself here by trying to jump a skateboard over the Grand Canyon. I was just "lucky" I guess.

Thanks For Reading
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2015 08:06PM by barnespneumatic.
September 16, 2015 08:12PM
Hey Gary,
I can see why it is difficult for some to understand as we are each busy living our lives and dealing with what we have been given. Most of us don't have an easy path. I find it admirable that you are doing what you are doing, and I understand the circumstances (heck, I have been dealing with you for, what, 18 or 19 years!) and do try to help; it is clear that you have asked for help.

You are not the first, nor the only 'artist' I have ever dealt with (engravers, custom gun makers, painters and furniture makers etc.) and there is a different 'realization' required in those dealings than one would use in a 'big box store!' I treasure those items that I have from true artists and therefore attempt to help and understand.

Do the best you can to keep in the game, and I will continue to support you as best as I can and as you have clearly asked for those who are interested to do. I pray for you and your family regularly, as I do for all of my friends and family.
Good luck,
Jeff
September 16, 2015 09:12PM
Thank you Jeff. All around. You have been a good friend.

You make a good point, which I realize and appreciate. Everyone has rough spots. And nobody is obligated to support me. Nobody forced me to become an artist. A few relevant thoughts come to mind ....

In "asking for help", as you have written, I haven't asked anybody for a dime. No loan. No gift. If anybody knows differently, post it here. What I try to tap into is this: "Since" readers "are" collectors, "and" since they regularly come here for entertainment, "then" please consider my work. I've been told hundreds of times, that I'm part of people's enjoyment and relaxation. Since there are so many who have done this for those 18/19 years, as you have Jeff; then I'd like them to understand that I've adapted to my needs, and small sales here and there, from a pool this large; would meet my need. Not contributions. But the purchase of completed worthy artifacts. I wonder if most feel that simple their patience, will be enough to help. And, while its tremendously appreciated, it doesn't keep the lights on.

I write like this occasionally, so that people know why Gary is making this and that. Why isn't he working on that gun he said was almost done two weeks ago? It's because not enough sold signs have gone up to pay the need. So; as I buy back time, I finish ledger items. And do it all as fast as health allows.

Gary
September 17, 2015 12:02AM
Hey Gary,
Understood and a good point. I value each of the things you have made for me very much and fully intend for my kids to enjoy them too! I have also taken advantage of your 'lay away' program to own some things that I couldn't have otherwise, and I realize that you are not asking for charity but have given me the opportunity. I am also on the ledger, do also own a Barnes air gun, and feel that each thing that I have gotten from you adds value to me or to the person I have gifted them to. I would not have gotten in line for a 'Barnes' product in the first place if I was not convinced in the value to start with! Hang in there and keep on keeping on!
My best,
Jeff
September 17, 2015 09:48AM
Well said Jeff
I truly could sign my name to that post except I'm not in the ledger currently .. My wife has gotten beautiful jewlery. My son and myself have great knifes . And oh YA a couple of Barnes air guns in the FRONT of my safe . Did I forget to mention my great smoke print too ? Besides the talent factor just running your own business is hard and being able to make a living at it even harder . Better men have given up .
Go Gary
Go Gary
I'm on your team !!

Thanks
Kurt
September 18, 2015 02:58PM
Thank you, sincerely; Kurt. I really appreciate all the support. It helps.

Gary
September 20, 2015 02:59AM
The health issue is an unfortunate aspect of getting old, but the issue of slaving away in your (supposed) retirement years to pay for it is a part of our society that is fundamentally broken. Your experience is certainly not unique, but it is unfortunate.

In my opinion it is a national disgrace that a country as wealthy as ours still ties a fundamental human right such as access to basic healthcare to the vagaries of the workplace. This is a glaring example where the inherently amoral nature of corporate interest and the manifestly inhumane greed of naked capitalism have run roughshod over the interests of society and the the welfare of the average worker.
Anonymous User
September 23, 2015 11:16PM
We understand your issue's and will remain patiently awaiting our turn.
September 24, 2015 01:05AM
Thanks Don,

I'm here doing my best. My commitment.

Gary
September 24, 2015 11:16PM
Wish I wasn't in debt and sending Timmy off to school, I'd buy all the small items! Can't believe the new Model 97 is still available, that is such a sweet knife. The single handed action comes in so handy, it's not just a show piece. Of course, if I bought all the stuff there would be hell to pay as clearly it's not about guns but keeping Jerry in knives and gifts!
September 24, 2015 11:47PM
I like that.

Can you believe the opportunity Jerry? The total amount to keep me working is just a line item rounding error. Don't make me figure what it comes to per hour. I have "some dignity" ..... More sad.

Wait til you guys see the tusk I found!!!

Gary
September 25, 2015 03:56AM
Ah seen it! Hits over dare ina nuther post...
Ah thimk ya fond it in Kintucki!
Jeff
September 25, 2015 01:24PM
Hi Jeff,

I think you bumped a button on your "Sphal Chak" parameters.

Haha. It's easy to do!

nowthatIthink

Gary
September 26, 2015 01:24AM
Yas ah did. Ah dun turnd bac inta a Kintuckian. An darn prude uf hit!
An ah stil lack that there tusk an all, uh huh ah du!
Ya'll come bac now, ya'here.
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021