Advanced

Re: Working on Several Projects. Pics!

Working on Several Projects. Pics!
February 15, 2016 10:02PM
This is a Ledger Scout V in 45 caliber. For Beau LaMour

image.jpeg

Preparing to mill slots, and I've been threading holes

image.jpeg

Here is the folded steel channel which will be the trigger Block.

image.jpeg

I've been reaming the barrel after rifling the 45 barrel.

Wanted to show you some pics.

Next, I'll get pics together to show the work on Sal's rifle.

Gary

Worked all weekend and installed our wall display case and stocked it down on the coast. thumbs up
February 16, 2016 10:06AM
Gary

That's a good amount of progress you have done on that rifle. Is that a helical tap I see on the table there ? it's not too often you see those . I actually had to tap some holes yesterday and had to get out my chart to convert a U size drill bit to a .368 .

My dad used to work at lufkin and I have a good amount of charts and such I use regularly .

I happy for you that your display is up and working for you now . Good luck .

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
February 16, 2016 02:09PM
Hi Kurt,

Yes. Love the helical taps. Much more expensive but well worth it in performance.

I have some conversion charts I use a lot too Kurt. On some of the sizes, like the 4-40, 2-56, 0-80 - the charts were clearly made by the tap manufacturers. Haha. They'd break your tap every time. You have to upsize the tap drills. Bet you use a lot of 0-80s on your bridge parts. Ha! I heard a saying once in the knife trade, "There are no atheists tapping 0-80s in titanium." Hehe

Thanks for the well wish regarding the beach jewelry.

image.jpeg

This is at a Sea Turtle Conservation facility down on the coast. They've just done a large project putting in a large indoor pool for resident sea turtles, including a gallery for educational lectures, and many displays and aquariums with exotic fish. They've renovated their gift shop and are working with local artists. A large Pottery, a glass blower, photographers, and others. Great people. They gave us a really prominent wall of their valuable space. They were very happy with the case and our work. They will be having their grand reopening soon, and we are invited. Yay!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 02:24PM by barnespneumatic.
February 16, 2016 06:31PM
Gary
At another place I worked the inspectors had GO/NO GO Gage's and the threads had to be perfect and if the tap wore out you had to pitch it . After that they changed to roll form threading . No cutting just pushing the metal . That's one of the reasons I've always been scared to thread on my lathe . Never done it but probably like anything , gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette. I always did hate those small taps 4-40 and such especially in aluminum . They would plug the threads and really wreck a hole .

The stainless steel on the other hand would make a scary cracking noise when cutting and breaking chips ! Yikes

Never got to do titanium though ! I can only imagine .

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 10:00PM by kurt wag.
February 22, 2016 01:58PM
Hi Kurt,

Just found this one. Sorry.

Tapping is always a nervous thing. Yeah, the little cracks, and pops, and groans of the metal and tap are what age us. Especially when tapping a part with many hours of work in it.

With lathe tapping, the key is to take small passes. The test is - "If you can make money on it, then you did it too fast!" Haha. laughing

Gary
February 18, 2016 04:11AM
Gary,
That is a beautiful display! Good luck with the new venture.
Jeff
February 18, 2016 04:31AM
Thank you Jeff

take a bow
February 21, 2016 12:58PM
Gary,

The case looks great! I'm sure the turtle people love the design. I pray the jewelry sells quickly and needs to be replaced often.
Where did you get that beautiful model? winking smiley

Scott
Sal
February 16, 2016 01:45PM
Oooooooohhh yeah! I'm super excited to see some of that real fancy stuff, I love the steel engraving/carving/shaping you do. Lucky Beau! Looks like you have already done a fair bit of work on that one, looks great.
February 16, 2016 02:40PM
Hi Sal,

Yeah - interesting note .... you know the famous writer of Western Stories, Louis L'Amour? Well, this is his Son, Beau. I can never be accused of favoritism. I've neglected the poor man forever. I'm an equal opportunity rat fink. You are in good company, Sal.

I'll get more pics of the steel carving I've done here. Glad you like that Sal.

thumbs up

Gary
February 16, 2016 05:20PM
Gary,

Hey I like the folded trigger block, seems like when it's all bolted together its a vary a strong design, being that it's one solid piece, I'm sure it still gets a lot of though holes put in and chased by some 10-24s and some 10-32s maybe. I also like the decorative patterns next to the center drill in the picture! How are they done? Can imagine it takes a steady hand and some time. The shelf is nice ,maybe you've have made one before.... once or twice. Nice work!
Matt
February 16, 2016 05:52PM
Gary
You better watch what your showin !
Matts askin questions ! Hehe . You know Matt , my first Barnes gun I bought wasn't from Gary but used by someone else . The first thing I did was take it apart and look at the guts . Mechanical people want to know .

Thanks
Kurt
February 16, 2016 06:55PM
Hey Kurt,

Haha hey I know there's a Limit to what he can show and tell lol... I get it you work hard to achieve your designs to a solid reliable function. I'm just can't tell if the decorative spots are a small weld beads engraved or the part engraved. Ether way it's Awsome looking! But yeah I got ya, you see something mechanical you want to kno what makes it tick. Your a lucky man to have some Barnes air rifles! I would not try and take his designs tho, it's more satisfying to come up with your own... Plus his would be impossible to duplicate with all the engraveing and wood work lol..

Pssst... Gary how's your poppet valve work need some dimensions maybe a print.... Ha Only kidding..

The work looks good,
Matt
February 16, 2016 08:10PM
Matt
You hit the nail rite on the head . It's a REAL accomplishment when you do it all by your self design included . That's why when you said your stock looked dumb I remarked about being hard on yourself . There are not many folks that are good at everything . Me included . And when you do leather, wood , metal,springs, anodizing , bluing , delrin and all the other stuff I'm missing including the artistry ,It ain't easy . You can you tube and learn a lot of things now a day but it doesn't show all the tidbits it took to learn and get the video correct making it look easy . In your hands its a whole different world .

My wife has been bugging me to throw away my encyclopedia Britannia and funk and wagnels but I'm just not ready yet !! Haha there's still a lot of learning in them there books.

Thanks
Kurt
February 21, 2016 01:00PM
It is good to see metal work. The carved welds always catch my eye. Those barrel rifling pictures are also very cool.

Scott
February 21, 2016 03:54PM
Hi Gary,

It's good to see you working on a Bison again. In my opinion that airgun model is one that shows a bunch of your air gunsmith skills at its best. A true classic!

Like the others I like to wish you and Kelly the best on your new business.

Best,

Julio
February 21, 2016 10:55PM
Looking good!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021