Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Who knows What Challenge Coins Are?

Who knows What Challenge Coins Are? PICS @ 6 pm. wow
April 15, 2016 01:51AM
I've had multiple ideas in my head for some time. Wonder if you guys have history with the topic.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2016 06:06PM by barnespneumatic.
April 15, 2016 11:30AM
No idea Gary but I'm willing to learn.
April 15, 2016 12:53PM
Challenge coins are coins stamped with unit logos. They are sometimes presented to members in recognition of worthy deeds and in order to enhance moral. Significantly, they prove the bearer is a member of that unit or former member or was honored by being presented the coin.

The "challenge" of course, involves presenting your coin and calling to see your buddy's. Failure to meet the challenge requires the purchase of a round of cheer for all who met the challenge. Should the challenge be successfully met, the challenger shall buy a round.

There are several stories regarding the origin of these coins and I'll bet they keep getting better...
April 16, 2016 12:14AM
Thank you Jerry, for the detailed explanation.scholar
April 15, 2016 02:48PM
I for one have never heard of a challenge coin nor do I know any one with a coin . I'm thinkin you recieve a coin for alcoholics anonymous achievements .

Thanks
Kurt
April 15, 2016 03:38PM
image.jpeg

If you Google "Challenge Coins", you will find an entireWorld of Beautiful Coins. They are always an oversized Coin, which shows Pride of Membership or Association with a particular group or Person.

image.jpeg

Here are a few of the many Challenge Coins that we have here at home. Military Families or Folks who live in areas where Military Bases will have seen them. Corporations or Business Groups can have the Coins specifically designed and struck to show Pride or Membership, or to use as Awards.

There are two basic ways the Coins are made. 1). Die Cast from Zinc Alloy. 2). Die Struck from Bronze or other Solid alloy. The lesser will be the Zinc coins. (You can even have them made from Plastic .... Oh my!!!).

My Son, Cortney - Career USAF - has accumulated a huge collection of the Coins. Many from top Brass like William Cohen (Sec. Of Defense), and Donald Rumsfeld (Sec. Of Defense). They don't just hand them out. You have to have a meaningful exchange or work relationship with these people to receive the honor. Obviously some coins will be greatly prized.

Are you guys warming up to the idea?

Gary
Re: Who knows What Challenge Coins Are? PICS @ 6 pm. wow
April 15, 2016 09:37PM
Wow
Those are for sure a proud moment in your adult / kids life for them and you . Like you said they are NOT given out frivolously but earned for sure.

Are you thinking of producing them for clubs and such ? I'm sure you could strike out a wonderful coin .
I did Google it up and it's kinda what it sounds like . Given for an achievement of challenges obtained or achieved .

Thanks
Kurt
April 15, 2016 11:09PM
Hang on five to ten minutes Kurt!
April 16, 2016 05:53PM
Yup, some units are more into it than others, and some units are WAY into the challenge coin thing!

When I was in the 3rd Cavalry, you didn't dare attend a unit dining in / dining out function without at least one in your pocket. At most bases it was dangerous walking into the Officers Club without one regardless of which unit you were with, since the tradition is that if you got caught without your coin you'd buy the challenger a drink! That of course could precipitate a stampede of other challengers wanting their own free drinks, so it wasn't uncommon to see a guy either beg a spare off a buddy or flee out to the parking lot to scavenge through his car in search of one after being caught without.cool smiley
April 16, 2016 06:40PM
thumbs up

Haha
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021