Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

As soon as I win the lottery...

As soon as I win the lottery...
May 06, 2009 06:53PM
... I'm going to get these: [www.iveyshooting.com]
Re: As soon as I win the lottery...
May 06, 2009 09:09PM
Ouch, what a price! Lottery, yes, or you could sell me one of your guns....you know, one of those Barnes ones you don't use much....google eyes
Hehehe
Neil
May 06, 2009 09:38PM
Hey - that's about what Jim has had on order for some time for his Alpine! Gee ... guess we didn't invent them. hahaha. laughing again

Gary
May 06, 2009 10:45PM
Sorry Neil, I'll have to come up with the winning ticket!

Sorry Gary but it appears you and Jim were beaten to the punch. It also appears that Ivey has a patent on the design and that would explain the lack of competition and the high price. I spent a good amount of time today looking for a mount or ring set that can be adjusted and returned to the initial zero without taking down the scope and found very little. Barrett has a set of rings that can switch between 15 and 40 MOA compensation but they are pricey too.
May 06, 2009 11:54PM
Ah ... so the inclined plane and the adjustment screw is now patented!

Gosh.
May 07, 2009 03:35AM
Amazing isn't it? Maybe it was the invention of a pivot pin? eye rolling smiley
May 07, 2009 04:49AM
Jerry,

When I need that much elevation adjustment I find a tin snip and an aluminum can gives me just the shim I need between the scope and the mount. 400 inches may take a full can wedged in there though!!! excited

When I run out of empty cans I'll order mine.

Kent
May 07, 2009 03:54PM
Specifics, we need spicifics. Is that a Coke can, of a Sprite can? Diet or regular? Caffinated or non? Dude ... we can't just wing it! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Gary
May 07, 2009 09:57AM
Nice, but cheaper to buy a Bushnell 6500 series with 80 MOA of elevation adjustment built right into the scope. If I weren't already set with my Tasco Custom Shop spyglass-on-a-rifle I'd mount one of those on my Delta 45. The Delta 45, BTW, needs to be shimmed a bit as well but the custom anodized rings are divided into left and right halves which are tightened to affix it to the receiver's dovetail, instead of a top and bottom -- so we're still thinking about how to solve that one a bit.

As Gary mentioned, the Alpine will eventually have a similar system as the one Jerry mentions, designed to match the rest of the rifle.

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2009 10:05AM by Jim.
May 07, 2009 07:53PM
The gun they show has carbine barrel. With the Alpine and long barrel how high does the scope go and still see over end. And would that be easy to shoot? Or maybe easier.

You guys probably need a longer range to make it worth while. I'm sure one of you will have one by end of month so the rest of us can get a field report before we buy one. Dory
May 07, 2009 10:00PM
Or ... winking smiley ... you could buy one ... put it on your gun ... and give us all a field report before we buy one. idea That'd be great! thumbs up

BTW .... As I've demonstrated, you don't have to shoot at the stars to shoot long range with these guns. You'd hardly ever have to worry about the scope seeing over the end of the barrel. I've shown pics of me shooting 200 yards, where you can hardly tell the gun barrel is elevated above horizontal.

Get your gun out there, and shoot it long range. Hey - didn't you tell us you have a tree farm to shoot on? Man - you should be able to get some yardage there! Neat.

Gary
May 08, 2009 12:03AM
I like Gary's plan better than yours Dory! excited I'll standby for news from the tree farm. whistling

Kent,

You know that the tin shim is an inelegant solution. It also requires that the scope be snugged down into two no longer parallel mounts. The scope is stressed or the mounts are left loose. On top of that, the adjustment is semi-permanent. That probably isn't a big deal but I much prefer the idea of being able to make the gross adjustment for range and then just using the 1/8th MOA clicks to fine tune as opposed to straining the scope and still having to crank the knobs through huge throws when I get to a long range. Now, if I was using a Leupold scope the tin shim wouldn't bother me much but I've got a scope that really works as good as it costs! laughing again Oh, I'd have to go buy another $100 worth of Weaver rings to use the shim anyway as I've got the scope mounted in side clamp rings. sad smiley Since the Ivey mount costs a mint, maybe the best thing is the Barrett rings. The adjustment is a little easier to take out (granted, I probably wouldn't ever take it out) than the shim but the rings have collars that move so the scope isn't bent or stressed.

Jim, there are scopes out there that have as much as 150 MOA of adjustment. I'm guessing that's half up and half down. I don't know what my scope has but I know that at 175 yards or so the big Totem Pole slugs have a good bit of drop. I can zoom out a bit and hit the target with holdover (as you've seen) but I would like to zoom in to 50x and put the crosshairs on the target! Is that so wrong! more confused rolling happy smiley
May 08, 2009 03:25AM
Jerry, in my defense, Gary watched me do it!!!whistling There is also an adjustable mount which is used for airguns that allows independent height adjustment. It has a swivel action which should eliminate any torque on the tube. That may be why the lower leg on my reticle has a wave in it? I'm not too worried about any slipping from loose rings as I liberally (that word always makes me see red) dowse them in locktite. knucklehead

Seriously though, I tend to dial down to a magnification that doesn't require Dramamine, then my mildots cover me out to 150 yards. I do look forward to seeing you drop those groundhogs at 200 yds.

Kent
another option
May 09, 2009 05:40AM
Here's another possible option.

[www.hi-luxoptics.com]

As I understand it, the Leatherwood ART scope system has an externally adjusted holdover based on a cam mounted to the magnification ring. In theory, you just frame an item of known size with the reticle and it's supposed to automatically adjust the holdover. I have no idea what one of these costs, but it's a pretty nifty concept.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021