Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Knives Cut Steel!!! Weights. - Pics

Knives Cut Steel!!! Weights. - Pics
January 31, 2017 05:16PM
I test many knives with this bar of Cold Rolled Steel. I cut "Chips" off of this rod of 1/4" Steel, with the KNIFE EDGE of new Handmade Barnes Knives. IF the blade were defective, this EXTREME TEST would reveal it in one of two ways: IF the blade's edge were too soft, then while trying to cut chips from the steel rod, the edge would bend and roll over. IF the blade's edge had been heat treated too hard, then when trying to cut chips from the steel rod; the edge would break, and snap pieces out if the edge.

This isn't just a "normal" knife edge test. This is "CRAZY" testing. However; you can clearly see that this edge survived.

image.jpeg

This is the Cold Rolled Steel Rod that I have used for years. Guess I'll just use it till I sharpen it like a pencil. Haha.

image.jpeg

Can you see the chips on the index card from the first test, before I thought of posting some pics. See the chips stuck onto the edge, all along the length of the edge. This testing isn't just to find some spot on the edge that will do this. It's testing ALL of the edge. So; next I'll brush the chips off and examine the edge ...

image.jpeg

Here's the edge after a pass along the length, cutting chips from the Cold Rolled Steel bar, then brushing off the chips made. The knife edge is not mashed and rolled over. The edge is not chipped or broken.

Good Knife.

take a bow

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2017 03:14AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Final Testing - Pics
January 31, 2017 07:03PM
Not just with that knife ....,

image.jpeg

Gee, this one works too!

Hummmh,

Green bowing

Gary
January 31, 2017 08:52PM
Hey
That better not be my knife !! What the hey ???

Just in case anyone wonders .... Cold roll steel is way tougher than hot roll steel . It's up to 20% stronger due to the fact that it is shaped cold . Hot roll is formed at molten temps and cools to a smaller size . Cold roll is drawn to size at room tempature and stays the same size with higher tensile strength . It very smooth to the touch and sight . I actually just came across a blueprint that had wrought steel in the bill of material requirements. It's still fresh in my brain and I had to google it to know what it was . It kinda like cold roll but with a double process of hot and cold drawing to final size . It's cleaner and no mill scale and I would think its the stuff machinest use like Gary and Matt. It's much stronger and closer to size to a true round or flat !

So is that my knife Gary ??

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2017 09:54PM by kurt wag.
January 31, 2017 11:35PM
Hi Kurt,

Yes - that's yours. I sure as heck wouldn't do that to MY knife! Haha. laughing

Gary
January 31, 2017 11:45PM
WAIT!!!

I just re-read your text. It said you wanted to slice "STEAK!" stunned I thought you said ... Slice "STEEL!!!!" .... why me

Ah mannnnnnn......

Gary
February 01, 2017 03:43AM
Gary,

Wow, now that is a torture test! I would have never guessed that is how you test the blade edge. Another proof of experience behind the build! Strong enough to carve steel but not brittle to chip out!

I saw a local flyer today advertising Japanese steel kitchen knife set. $1699 and now only $499. I bet they wouldn't last long doing that type of torture test and these places make them by the thousand. You would think the could perfect the blades.

Thanks for showing us the test!

Pedro
February 04, 2017 03:16AM
Figured this post must have slipped thru the cracks ....
February 04, 2017 12:08PM
holy moley! at a loss for words!
February 04, 2017 02:53PM
Gary
I remember the you tube video of you cutting that steel rod and I had to look it up to watch again . It was the phelonic resin large md97 cutting test ! I would attach it but not quite sure how ! It's easy enough to find if anyone looked it up . BTW when I was watching it I see in the backround the MD 97 proof of concept knife stag handles being staged for work !
Really a crazy test to watch .

Thanks
Kurt
February 04, 2017 04:20PM
[youtu.be]

Hopefully this link takes you to the utube video Kurt discussed. Enjoy!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2017 04:25PM by barnespneumatic.
February 04, 2017 04:28PM
Yep, that's it. I got the correct video. Thanks!
February 21, 2017 12:46AM
It's still sharp!
February 21, 2017 02:59AM
Ah Nutz!!!

You never WILL wear that thing out. How am I supposed to pay for my Maryland vacation property!!!

Thanks for posting. thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021