Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Hello

Hello
March 18, 2017 01:35AM
Hi Guys,

This is added in to ask you .... you pushed the keys to stop by. I'm glad you did. What did you hope to see here? I've posted over 11,000 posts on the forum. It's billed as a "Rendezvous". I hoped it to be a community of friends with like interests. I've shown you highly detailed accounts of my builds, products, tests, and thoughts on my four decade plus shop work. What would you like to see? What would it take to make you join in a thread? I'm serious. Not just wasting time. I'm just pretty clueless about what's missing, that you expect. Thanks very much. Thank you for stopping in. If I didn't care to make this better, I wouldn't ask.

Just to remind you that you don't have to buy something to enjoy the forum here. What's up. You know, ya can't insist the forum be all about me - only me - everything I do or think. 24/7. Then, just completely clam up and fade off, until I manage to accidentally find and push the button that turns the lights ,sound, and your interest back on.

Again ... what's up? I'm working my buttstock off here. Keeping the door open. Posting the work. It would be a lot more interesting if there were questions. If there were opinions expressed. If there were personal experiences with the products shared.

Keeping it all going is in a lot of people's interest. I could use just a bit of company. It's not so much a human contact thing. It's more a "purpose" oriented thought. Maybe something other than the dismal abyss to make it seem worth the effort?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 08:42PM by barnespneumatic.
March 18, 2017 02:57AM
Hi Gary
Busy trying to make a buck and checking in often to see whats new. Lets see... this past week i turned clock repairer. Hand turned 6 bushings out of brass rod and installed while reworking pivots to remove all the grooves dug into from decades of dirt and grit paste building up. Probably ended up netting 20 per hour after all that cause it's not something i do every week so i have to look for the file.. correct gravers and drills. Had to make a little device to run the wheels between centers while polishing. LLove doing these projects but just can't make a living at it. Got parts on order for watch jobs... dribs and drabs. Sounds impressive to folks when i tell them what i do but in reality i could work at amazon distributuion center and do better. haha
Oh and nice stuff you've been putting out
March 18, 2017 04:09AM
Hi Steve,

I recognize that routine. Pretty much everything you collect will need lube, sharpening, and adjustment. Then you'll think of some small additional jig or tool that would really help. Only take a few minutes .... 2 1/2 hours ... Ha.

I suspect every occupation has its parallel. That's why we need a forum to draw a bit of commaradarie.

So many things on the benches. The things I'm able to work on with that particular checklist of nerves and aches. I'll bet you have things you dare not do when you aren't ready. How about removing an irreplaceable crystal from a Pocketwatch Case??? Something like that.

Thanks you commenting Steve. I'm sure you knew I wasn't trying to be a nag to people. And now, they've had your thoughts and my answer. Some thoughts to consider. We just wish they'd do the same for us, and others.

Thanks,
Gary
March 18, 2017 01:52PM
Yeah.. forgot about reshaping gravers too..haha ... easy to get sucked down a hole. How about reworking the sharpening stones, buffing wheels, screwdrivers, replacing old rancid oil from the oil pot, changing the cleaning fluid ... the list goes on and on ............. love this stuff. I remember the old timers looking at me funny when i told them i wanted to learn. haha they were right on. All this knowledge and empty pockets.
March 18, 2017 02:53PM
Steve .... do you have anybody hounding you for that knowledge.... like we did? Me either. I think they are all flying drones and stuff. Man, are we like the last dinosaur Doctors? They have their nurse go get the next patient. She looks into an empty waiting room. Hummmmm. Maybe tomorrow.... Haha? Nahhhhhh.

Ok. Perk up. It's always a nice Spring day here on the Internet. "festive"

That is an amazing thing though, isn't it Steve. All the accumulated knowledge here on this forum. Immediate access. Nobody has a question. Nobody posts an activity. It's like the whole world has become oriented ONLY to "Roll Out Day". There's the World in the front row as Space X Rolls out it's next Booster Rocket. Then we all shuffle over to Tesla as they Roll Out their next model. Quick ... The iPhone 8 Roll Out is at 10am Pacific. All day long. 25/8. We just watch. Actually, we don't even have to go sit in the folding chairs. Or even the Padded Stack chairs in the auditorium. We just watch on our phones.

Ahhhh. That's just old fart talk. Hey, doesn't the Beta of IOS 11 Drop in six minutes???? Hurry!!!! Haha.
March 19, 2017 11:52AM
Hello back at ya
I've not been doin to much . It's kinda dreary time in Michigan . It's cold with not much snow and the ice is unsafe to be on and fish . The walleye ARE running in the river but with the previous melt , the water is stained and tough fishing without a boat . Not to many hunting seasons open now and it's too cold to shoot for fun .
I did make it out to a gun/ knife show yesterday " inside sport " but it sure is changing . They're letting anybody in to sell there wares . There's beanie babies at one table and tools on the next . Then a guy selling wood furniture on the corner . Then all the jerky and salsa venders . You have to filter thru the crap . I can only assume they have a hard time selling tables to the venders and as long as you have a knife on your table your good . I'm not kidding either . A whole bunch of beanie babies and fudge for sale and ONE knife in the front of it all ! Haha

Thanks
Kurt
March 19, 2017 02:03PM
Hah!!!!!! Beanie Babies huh!!!! Haha. Did you find any RARE ones? Haha. You know they STRICTLY LIMITED production to ten for EVERY man woman child on earth. Hehe.
Highly collectible.

I'm glad to see that they strictly adhered to the bylaws, principles, and traditions of the GUN/KNIFE SHOW. That knife out front now ... can it be the plastic knives we provide to spread our salsa on crackers????

Ahhhh good story, Kurt.
March 19, 2017 03:22PM
Gary,

I enjoy seeing what you have been working on. I am fascinated by all the details and artistry. As for what's going on for me, it's just work. Nothing else of to discuss that would be of interest to anyone.

Karl
March 19, 2017 04:20PM
Thanks Karl,

Hah!!! "Just Working". That's what I tell everyone too, when they ask what I've been up to!"

Thanks for Posting, Karl
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021