Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Rose Engine Lathe - Guilloche

Rose Engine Lathe - Guilloche
March 19, 2017 03:02AM
A little off topic but of great interest. I remember Spirograph gear sets that came out in the 80's-90's? The flower designs that could be made were neat. Well this makes that look like fisher price toys. These lathes produce patterns that are simply amazing.

Gary and others might well know of the Rose Engine Lathe or the term Guilloche. Interestingly enough the process is over 200 years old! Link below states 1500's.

IMG_3025.JPG

Found a video of a professional Guiloche making intricate pieces.
[youtu.be]

Four American men have recreated these lathes. Called "MADE" a letter from each ones first name spells it.

[madelathedotcom.files.wordpress.com]

Couldn't find a price but stumbled upon another site I think the figure was around $19,900. Expensive hobby laughing again
More info:
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Hope this was interesting....

Pedro
March 19, 2017 04:03AM
Although i've worked on many timepieces that have had this treatment... never really knew or thought about the process.
Amazing....
Thanks for sharing Pedro
March 19, 2017 02:38PM
That's Great! Very interesting.

The PARTS on that machine!!!! Wowwwww. Amazing.

There's some error I humbly suggest. There is no possible way that unit could be made for $20,000. Just the MATERIALS FOR THAT MACHINE!!! And I see in the options .... Just one Chuck is $5,600. Whatever it all cost, it's worth it. Compare that lathe (which will last forever), to big seven digit waste in programs where money exists.

Makes me wonder where every one of these which ever existed have wound up. Would be tragic if anything like that were ever scrapped. They should all be in production.

Thanks Pedro!
Gary
March 19, 2017 09:02PM
Hornblower corrected the price. $83500 sounds closer to all the labour and material costs that would be needed to build this lathe.
March 19, 2017 05:34PM
Amazing Indeed.! FYI, according to the [madelathedotcom.files.wordpress.com] info a BASE Machine goes for $83,500. SO Start saving up those pennies!!!
March 19, 2017 08:39PM
I'm back admiring the effort and dedication to produce this machine.

I'm actually extremely pleased to see that there was considered to be sufficient interest in such things, to go forward. Go World!

Gary
March 19, 2017 09:00PM
Thanks for pointing out the price. I must have scrolled to fast and missed the prices. Drooling over the pictures...

That would only be 8,350,000 pennies. In my case 1,670,000 nickels as Canada stopped making pennies. Have to dive into many wishing wells...

Pedro
March 20, 2017 12:12AM
Anybody else enjoy watching the tool cut the chip? I wonder if he grinds his own bits?dig it

Lon
March 20, 2017 02:43AM
Hi Lon,

I can bet he grinds, shapes, and sharpens tool bits. Sharpening cutters is half of machine work. I've only rarely gotten a new tool bit that was really sharp. And in engraving, that's critical. thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021