Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Remarkable Accuracy

Remarkable Accuracy
March 20, 2017 11:09PM
What you will see here is a Model 97 for Tony. The handle scales are NOT the scales for this knife. Minute .....

image.jpeg

I've been working on several knives. Tony's knife needed the milled recesses cut. It's fairly involved. They are deep and accurate. They must be. The scales which fit into them, are extremely precise.

ALL OF THIS INLAY WORK IS DONE WITH HANDMADE BARNES JIGS, TOOLS, and HANDMADE BARNES MILL CUTTERS. (Sorry. That part I don't teach, so I don't show pics).

Now to the blue jigged bone inlays. What's up???

About 10 years ago, I made myself a model 97. I made this very set of blue bone inlays for it. I carried and used the knife for years. At some point, I decided to make a set of Scottish Red Stag scales for it. I popped out the blue ones and kept them.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A few minutes ago, I found the blue scales, and just popped them into the new recesses I just finished cutting. The fit is perfect. The scales have been cut for about 10 years. I used the same handmade tools and cutters, and operating them by hand, they made the perfect recesses.

image.jpeg

I thought that was quite interesting.

Hope you do.
Gary
March 21, 2017 03:34AM
Gary,

Truly amazing! Having made the scales 10 years ago and now fitting into a new knife, great fit. Also you moved all your tools and machines over a few states but looks like you have been able to find them all. It does amaze me if you cut the scale pocket with one setup on a manual mill.

Looks like you are turning out a lot of knives lately. Awesome that the last one just sold, very nicely laid out!

Best regards,

Pedro
March 23, 2017 06:09PM
Hi Prdro

Thanks. I'm glad you realize what you are looking at. I don't know if you need to be a machinist to appreciate this. Of if the scales need to be stag for the fit to be seen. Whatever the reason, I was really surprised at the total "ho-hum" to this post.

I recall as a professional Knifemaker, looking at closely fit "Innerframes" (which is what these are called in the trade), and just wondering at the impossible nature of them fit. How could it be done without a million dollars worth of pantograph CNC mills. Then, I learned and worked it out.

That might be another thing. I already said I don't teach how -so I guess unless I reduce it to a tutorial, it may not be worth a look. This is that part of the dialogue that gets me. I always hear .... Gosh ... All this knowledge will go with you!!!! But there are so few conversations begun.

Glad you liked it Pedro. You know I don't use CNC. So this is the result of very very close pattern making. thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021